Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 07:19 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
More and more psychiatrists are realizing changing an internal problem externally doesn't work. Johns Hopkins hospital stopped doing transgender surgeries because they found the people weren't any happier after the surgery than they were before the surgery. It's a mental problem and physical change won't fix it. While it may seem to be a lifesaver to him right now, it's not. https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/fo...nt-the-solutio
This is the original paper, https://couragerc.org/wp-content/upl...derSurgery.pdf

How old is your son? I don't think children should be allowed to make adult decisions. Changing genders is definitely an adult decision. Tell him he has to wait until he's an adult to make the decision. In the meantime get him treatment for his depression. That's his problem, not his gender.
Johns Hopkins plans to begin offering the surgery:

Johns Hopkins Medicine's Commitment to the LGBT Community

"We have committed to and will soon begin providing gender-affirming surgery as another important element of our overall care program, reflecting careful consideration over the past year of best practices and the appropriate provision of care for transgender individuals."

The institution does not support McHugh's bigoted stance.

Children should not have to suffer because adults refuse to accept the reality of being transgender.

Most transgender persons do not have any surgery, mostly due to the expense.

Interview with Dr. Norman Spack, a Boston Children's Hospital physician who cares for transgender youth:

https://thriving.childrenshospital.o...sgender-lives/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 07:37 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

"We have committed to and will soon begin providing gender-affirming surgery as another important element of our overall care program, reflecting careful consideration over the past year of best practices and the appropriate provision of care for transgender individuals."

Children should not have to suffer because adults refuse to accept the reality of being transgender.

Interview with Dr. Norman Spack, a Boston Children's Hospital physician who cares for transgender youth:

Places are covering it because it is now PAID for by Medicare. Before, people had to pay for it themselves, few could, so it was not a money maker. Now it is.

Medicare | National Center for Transgender Equality

Medicare covers medically necessary hormone therapy.
Medicare also covers medically necessary hormone therapy for transgender people. These medications are part of Medicare Part D prescription drug plan formularies (lists of covered medications) and should be covered when prescribed. Sometimes coverage may be initially wrongly refused due to an apparent inconsistency of the hormones with a gender marker in a person's records. Nevertheless, Medicare beneficiaries have a right to access prescription drugs that are appropriate to their medical needs.
Medicare covers medically necessary sex reassignment surgery.
For many years, Medicare did not cover sex reassignment surgery for transgender people due to a decades-old policy that categorized such treatment as "experimental." That exclusion was eliminated in May 2014, and there is now no national exclusion for transition-related health care under Medicare. This means that coverage decisions for transition-related surgeries will be made individually on the basis of medical need and applicable standards of care, similar to other doctor or hospital services under Medicare.

Whenever a gov't org pays for something, businesses offer the services because they know that they will be paid and can profit off of it.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:17 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Places are covering it because it is now PAID for by Medicare. Before, people had to pay for it themselves, few could, so it was not a money maker. Now it is.

Medicare | National Center for Transgender Equality

Medicare covers medically necessary hormone therapy.
Medicare also covers medically necessary hormone therapy for transgender people. These medications are part of Medicare Part D prescription drug plan formularies (lists of covered medications) and should be covered when prescribed. Sometimes coverage may be initially wrongly refused due to an apparent inconsistency of the hormones with a gender marker in a person's records. Nevertheless, Medicare beneficiaries have a right to access prescription drugs that are appropriate to their medical needs.
Medicare covers medically necessary sex reassignment surgery.
For many years, Medicare did not cover sex reassignment surgery for transgender people due to a decades-old policy that categorized such treatment as "experimental." That exclusion was eliminated in May 2014, and there is now no national exclusion for transition-related health care under Medicare. This means that coverage decisions for transition-related surgeries will be made individually on the basis of medical need and applicable standards of care, similar to other doctor or hospital services under Medicare.

Whenever a gov't org pays for something, businesses offer the services because they know that they will be paid and can profit off of it.
Well sadly, I think we are just going to discover the hard way that surgery doesn't really help this in the long run.

I think as the OP has noticed, in our overly PC society, you won't even be able to admit your reservations about this even while offering love and support without an immediate and swift backlash.
So after a point, no one will really be able to claim that transgender people are depressed or suicidal because of how society treats them since we seem to be leaning towards a culture where no one dares to question or
even express difficulty coping with anyone who questions their gender and wants to transition.

So when all of these transgender people get their surgeries and their hormone replacement AND we see that the depression and suicide rates are similar to where they are now. No one will really be able to blame society or bigotry for it any more and we will have learned the hard way that we are treating a psychological problem with surgery and unneeded medication.

Others made a great analogy to anorexia.
We (rightly) see anorexia as a psychological condition. We don't encourage it or help it along with surgery or medication. While I believe gender dysphoria is real (though rare) I don't think it's helped with surgery or medication.

..That's to say nothing of the many people who have other issues but latch onto gender dysphoria because our society has turned into a cause célèbre and well meaning people trip over themselves to advocate for those who claim to have it and encourage it without asking any hard questions or exhibiting any healthy skepticism at all.
I feel the OP's son falls into this group as do many others since true gender dysphoria is a rare thing.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:21 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
And I'm sure there are just as many that are happy they did the surgery, and are much happier in life right now.
Absolutely untrue. The suicide rates remain the same after surgery. Somewhere around 40%. The rate in Nazi extermination camps was 25%. I don't want to even guess at the unhappiness rate. Probably 100%. There can be no happiness in an untreated psychiatric disassociative illness. The solution is reassociation. Meaning getting the patient to relink with reality and accept the immutable reality of their identity. Including their gender, which cannot be changed no matter how one irrationally and self-destructively mutilates oneself with the professional knife of a hired sculptor (doctor).

Fortunately in this case, those in favor of remaining in consonance with reality have the same recommendation as the Mad Hatter SJWs who observe 78 genders instead of reality where we find 2. And that recommendation consists of lots of time and lots of counselling.

The only difference is that those of us based in reality appropriately recommend psychiatry, while the emoticons advocate shopping for self-fulfilling TG "friendly" mental health sycophants.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Yeah right. What a hustle. Honestly. TGs are a tool now. Compassionate vivisection don't you know. Everyone sign on! We're gonna get rich! So what if they keep killing themselves after we mutilate them. The gubmint checks will be cashed by then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXE_n2q08Yw

Old 01-17-2017, 09:35 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Don't know how to find a provider who can tell me weather this in legit or a phase to fit in. I do know the depression is very real, as my mother suffered from this for the rest of her life. Can't push the envelope on this one as the danger of suicide is always looming. Will Check out PFLAG. To be honest, I don't really know why this is recommended as I don't know what it is. I will google this after finish this post. Thanks for your input.
As others have said, I think you need to seek professional help for you and your family. Regardless of whether it's a phase, or whether his making a transition will help his depression or make it worse, what all of you need right now is time to adjust to what's going on and someone to facilitate communication. PFLAG is a good place to start and I hope you googled it and can make contact with them.

It's obvious that you love your son dearly which is why you're lying about being okay with everything he's said. But the lies will eat you up after a while. I'm not advocating being completely honest about your feelings with your son right now, but simply recognizing that you're all going to need some help to come to grips with these big changes.

Have faith that time will help. You're a good father and you and your son love each other. You'll get through this.

And congratulations to your son for having a caring group of supportive friends. Not all kids are so lucky.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:14 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,235,568 times
OP asked about PFLAG, which stands for Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays. In the modern era, this also includes people who identify as bisexual, trans, or q.uee.r. Here are some additional links.

Phoenix chapter: PFLAG Phoenix Arizona, support, education, advocacy for parents, families and friends of LGBT and GSM
About the Phoenix Chapter: About Our Chapter
How to contact: Contact Us

This would be a really great resource for you. I hope you reach out to these folks.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:43 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
OP asked about PFLAG, which stands for Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays. In the modern era, this also includes people who identify as bisexual, trans, or q.uee.r. Here are some additional links.

Phoenix chapter: PFLAG Phoenix Arizona, support, education, advocacy for parents, families and friends of LGBT and GSM
About the Phoenix Chapter: About Our Chapter
How to contact: Contact Us

This would be a really great resource for you. I hope you reach out to these folks.
Know that PFLAG support LBGT 100%. That is, any doubts you have about your son will be focused onto buying into the fact that yes, your son is TG, treat him as such unquestioningly. They will NOT allow any other thoughts, and may in fact bully you into accepting your son as a TG without even meeting him or listening to any reservations that you may have.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Know that PFLAG support LBGT 100%. That is, any doubts you have about your son will be focused onto buying into the fact that yes, your son is TG, treat him as such unquestioningly. They will NOT allow any other thoughts, and may in fact bully you into accepting your son as a TG without even meeting him or listening to any reservations that you may have.
This is true. PFLAG is a heavily left wing agenda-driven organization. However, it does have as members parents of TGs. So if you use it as a way to meet other parents with this problem, it can still be of help. Discard the agenda though, as they will promote 78 genders and everything is peachy and by all means cut off your organs and all the rest.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:07 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
1) Your whole family needs, including you, to be in therapy with regard to this. Because either your son is transgender or there is something deeply wrong with his outlook. He needs a safe space to work through his feelings. He could be transgender, but he could also be so depressed and alienated that he is reaching out for any group that welcomes him without judgment. He could also be gender-fluid, which opens up a whole ton of other possibilities for him. I know a gay guy who is happily male - he just appreciates certain feminine items of clothing and values good skincare.

2) Your son needs to meet some transgender adults and talk this over with them. They're really the only ones who know exactly what he's going through or what he SHOULD be going through. Pretty sure they'll have the best BS detectors of anyone. I actually have met a guy who thought he was transgender in college and then turned up at my friend's college reunion 15 years later as a dude with a wife and a kid. There has got to be transgender mentoring organizations or support groups that would help your son figure out what his deal actually is. I don't trust the internet forum because anyone can be whatever they feel like being that day.

But this isn't something to drag your feet over. If your son is truly transgender, the time to work this out is now. His future mental health and possibly even his survival are heavily dependent on that.

However, I kind of feel that in our less gender-defined society kids start identifying their affinities for one gender or another much sooner than they would otherwise, so I'm kind of surprised you're shocked - hasn't he shown any signs before his announcement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting