Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 12:33 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times

Advertisements

[quote=Cynthetik;46852761]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post

She hasn't given me a call back and I left her a couple of voicemails.

If I do rehome, will she take legal action against me?

I would like to keep the little guy. And I'm making plans to move to a new place in a couple of months. When SR and I get a new place I'll take him with me if I have to. I called a pet boarder to make arrangements to hold the critter until either the coworker calls back or I get a new place.
If you haven't heard back from your ex-coworker yet, I would send her a certified letter, stating the facts of the case: she asked you to take care of her hamster for a defined period of time (give the dates); this time has passed; you have made several attempts to contact her (give the dates); she has not responded. State that if she does not respond by "X" date, you will consider the hamster to be abandoned and deal with him as you see fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2017, 01:45 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
This. Can't. Be. Real.

Old 01-17-2017, 01:53 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times
[quote=bus man;46859400]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post

If you haven't heard back from your ex-coworker yet, I would send her a certified letter, stating the facts of the case: she asked you to take care of her hamster for a defined period of time (give the dates); this time has passed; you have made several attempts to contact her (give the dates); she has not responded. State that if she does not respond by "X" date, you will consider the hamster to be abandoned and deal with him as you see fit.
If the co-worker is as sue crazy as the OP the would be the safe way to deal with it.

Old 01-17-2017, 02:36 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
you could shave the hamster, attach it to your shoulder and tell the folks it's a benign tumor

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...e1/molerat.jpg

Old 01-17-2017, 07:23 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
If you rent a room in a house, then that room is legally your property. If the police come in with a warrant to search the house, legally they have to have a separate warrant to search your room as well or they can't enter it. If you are paying rent for the room and have any kind of signed contract with your parents, then your parents have to respect your privacy and give you notice to enter your room. They also have to go through the legal motions of having you evicted just as if you lived in an apartment and they were the managers or owners.

Of course, the first thing you have to do is have a contract. You also should be getting receipts for the rent you pay to them. If you have cancelled checks, you could use those. If your parents called the police on you and tried to have you thrown out, they can't do it, as long as you have proof that you are legally paying your agreed upon rent.

I found this all out when I was renting a room in a friend's house and found out the friend had drugs all over the house. As she kept a trunk of hers in my room, I was concerned what would happen in a bust if the police searched the locked trunk and found her drugs in my room. I was told by the police at that time that they couldn't legally enter my room without a separate warrant, which in retrospect, might not have been hard to get. I solved the problem by finding another place to live.

Having said all this, though, you need to check the laws of your city and/or state and find out exactly where you stand.

You also should make an effort to find the owner of the hamster. If she doesn't claim it by the time you tell her to, you should have the right to rehome it. Check around to see if there are any rat or mouse or hamster clubs in the area. There may be a rescue organization. If there are no clubs, check the Humane Society. They may be able to take it. If all else fails, you're the one responsible, so rather than chuck it out, you should pay to have it put down at the vet's if worst comes to worst. Then make fast tracks to get out of that house, however you have to do it.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:52 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Tell them Richard Gere had a hamster.
Literally !!!

Old 01-17-2017, 09:26 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
Well, if you draw this out long enough, the hamster will be dead...their average lifespan is 2 years.

And, once again, Richard Gere had a gerbil, not a hamster! Don't you CDers know anything?

Old 01-17-2017, 10:37 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
You really know that the pet owner is not going to take the pet back. You were only to keep it for a week, and after 2 weeks she has not come back for it, and she cannot be reached, so you know she was just dumping it on you to get a home for it.

You act like you have a lease, and can do whatever you want. But your mother has a no pet policy, and you have broken the lease. The fact that you have been hiding it from your mother for 2 weeks, proves you knew you mother would not approve the pet.

Your mother says the pet or both of you have to go. She is just enforcing the house rules of no pets.

Under the circumstances you will lose any suit, as you are the one in violation that has violated the house rules. And the judge would in all probability award your mother court costs for your suit, so you would be paying both lawyers.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:30 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
This. Can't. Be. Real.
Of course not, but it's entertaining nonetheless.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:04 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
27. Living with parents. Talking about eviction over a hamster.

I don't know what's sadder... the situation described or that the OP actually made this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting