Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 09:39 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susannah14 View Post
My husband was in the men's room at a public shopping center today, peeing at a urinal. In walks a 30-something woman with her 3-year old son. She takes him to the urinal to pee. Right next to my husband. This is weird, right? Mothers take their sons to the WOMEN'S room, RIGHT? RIIGHT?!?! I mean I can't even fathom this. I would only walk into a men's room in my worst nightmare. She walked in there like she belonged.

If it matters, this was near Baltimore MD. I need some perspective on this. I myself have a 4-year old son and I will be taking him to the women's room to pee in a toilet until I trust him to be alone to do it himself. I thought that's what everyone did.
There is no way in hell I'd do that to anyone...yes, you should take your toddler into the women's room....

and men should take their toddler's into the men's room.

Your husband could have called security and had her arrested....

Old 01-18-2017, 09:45 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned post and response
The woman was way OUT OF LINE in taking her son into the men's room. She should have taken him to the ladies room with her.
Of course a Tarheel wants to weigh in on what potty people use. To paraphrase a T-Shirt, You're being a Dick, Pat.

I don't see this as a big deal as a male. It is definitely something that I certainly wouldn't expect, but again, not a big deal. Who knows why she did it. I would guess that the three year old "likes" using the urinal and mom didn't want to fight him on it.

THere isn't anything more or less to see in a men's room than a women's room.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:46 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
A woman cleaned your butt when you were a baby and a woman will clean your butt when you are an old old man. I wouldn't get too exercised about it.

If it really freaks you out, say something like "Hey lady, this is the men's room here. Can't you take that kid into the ladies'?"

Old 01-18-2017, 10:06 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,972 times
Inappropriate if we are considering current customs.

That being said, I don't get the big panic over unisex or both gender bathrooms. It's GENERALLY not a locker room where people are changing and walking around naked. I could care less if I was at a urinal peeing and 5 women came in. People need to just relax. Honestly our whole country is too uptight about sex and nudity.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:06 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Why is there such an obsession with public restrooms in this country?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That's a very good question. I think it's because we're so frightened of anything having to do with genitals, even if it's completely platonic, that we become panicked at the mere thought of humans having them and doing anything with them, even if it's eliminating waste products. It's sad, really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I don't mean to sound argumentative, but would you feel this way if you were in a public bathroom without partitions of any kind (just a row of open toilets), and a man came up to the toilet next to yours and started doing his thing? Because that's what it's like for a man if a woman comes up next to him at a urinal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Yes. I would feel the same. I don't care who is using the stall/urinal/toilet/bidet next to me. I don't look or touch those around me. What do you do in the bathroom?

p.s. I'm a mother of two young daughters and I still don't have a problem with it.
True. Are people so sex obsessed that they actually believe that people use restrooms to constantly troll for sex? Neither I, nor anyone I have ever seen in any of public restrooms I have been in (probably 1000+) have used them as a (filthy) hook-up venue. We have bars and Match.com for that.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:07 AM

245 posts, read 197,521 times
I have walked into the mens room with my son when the women's bathroom line was too long.

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Of course a Tarheel wants to weigh in on what potty people use. To paraphrase a T-Shirt, You're being a Dick, Pat.

I don't see this as a big deal as a male. It is definitely something that I certainly wouldn't expect, but again, not a big deal. Who knows why she did it. I would guess that the three year old "likes" using the urinal and mom didn't want to fight him on it.

THere isn't anything more or less to see in a men's room than a women's room.
You are clearly unfamiliar with NK. You might want to know what and who you are talking about before using that broad brush.

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Personally; I have no issue with almost anything that might occur due to a parent/child logistic. But I know some people do.

And there are so many different reasons that I'm not going to sit in judgement on anybody & I'm not going to insist that someone do it "my way".

It's unfortunate for me personally because I have a disabled 13 yr old son & this makes it difficult. VERY difficult. There is no way I would allow him to enter a womens restroom; he is 5'11" & 200lbs & this would scare many women or young girls. I get that. Plus, his motor skills are similar to that of a 3 or 4 yr old & it would be a total mess & I DO stop & clean up after him ... I'm not about to impose that on another customer or even store emploee. He is my kid, my responsibility & if that means I'm on the floor with paper towels; well, thats just life.

"Family" restrooms (best case scenario) are few & far between & actually absent in some stores/public places. And often occupied.

I usually wind up hovering around the entrance to the mens & you have no idea how anxiety provoking this can be. If he has to go #2 I'm in a pickle because he requires toileting help. He will rush in & likely push past anybody to get to a toilet/urinal & at his size a grown man might become agitated & try to fight him before realizing that he is only 13 & disabled.

It's almost as bad to imagine that someone might actually know right away that he IS disabled or be able to identify through his toe-walk & arm flapping that he is Autistic because many people are aware that people with Autism may be non-verbal. Basically; my son could be seen as a perfect victim if someone realizes that he can't "tell on them".

It's truly hell to send your child into a mens restroom that you thought was "clear" ... & wait ...& wait ...Then yell his name ... No answer ... Then hear the faint sound of a low, adult mans voice speaking to him but not be able to understand whats being said ... & wait... And yes; in those instances I HAVE just bolted in. What choice do I have?

Incidentally; I have never actually found anyone behaving in a concerning manner. It's usually an older gentleman who just needs a little more time in the restroom & then I'm embarrassed (FOR them not because of them; after 24 years as an RN & being a mother to 7 boys I'm waaay past being shocked at the sight of male genitals) but I'm not about to NOT make sure.

I've also had some really nice guys notice my "hover-pace-yell" & offer to go in & bring him out; Thank God for them.

I'd say the number of times he bolts from me in public to a restroom is once a day. Maybe once a month I have to have help retrieving him from a restroom & once every 6-9 months I encounter the situation of hearing another mans voice in what seemed to have been an empty restroom, with him not responding to me & myself just having to blaze in there. Irregardeless I just can't bring myself to drag him into the womens. I'm sure if most women knew us & the situation they would likely be just fine with it but thats not the case; nobody knows that or can even assume it & I can't expect them to.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:16 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,008,872 times
may be "she" was not a "She" just saying

Old 01-18-2017, 10:17 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
True. Are people so sex obsessed that they actually believe that people use restrooms to constantly troll for sex? Neither I, nor anyone I have ever seen in any of public restrooms I have been in (probably 1000+) have used them as a (filthy) hook-up venue. We have bars and Match.com for that.
Then why even go in the bathroom with your child at all, if they in fact are perfectly safe places where everyone minds their own business?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting