Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 04:48 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times

Advertisements

Congratulations to Iceland, its parents and its kids. You should be proud of yourselves.

The ideas are good. Could they work here? Most of these activities seem to be possible in facilities that already exist pretty well everywhere. New facilities don't necessarily have to be built, certainly not right off the bat. Schools for instance have gyms and classrooms still, don't they? And in the community surrounding the schools surely there are people with the expertise in various activities - and maybe they could be convinced to volunteer their time. Many of these activities don't even require much in the way of equipment. Many activities in fact don't have to cost that much if people decide they are a priority and get creative. Where there is a will there is a way - but rarely is will demonstrated (though there are stories about programs that have done a lot of good in places like Harlem).

The real problem may be that the parents in many communities where these programs are most needed don't give a darn - and consequently neither do their kids. And the political will is not there either in some (even many) locales. The will to impose curfews, the will to legislate more age limits/restrictions, etc. Access to such a large range of drugs on the street (and MJ now on the cusp of being allowed legally everywhere, not to mention new ways for kids to kill themselves with everyday products emerging constantly it seems) is unlikely to help either within the current generation .. though maybe if the next one .. the kids who are toddlers now or not yet born .. encountered a 'different world' by the time they came of age, some progress could be made. Chances are about nil of that happening though I expect.

And of course there is the fact that practically no place is an island (like Iceland, which is also more or less a homogenous country still) these days, especially with so much access to the internet. Non-participation rates and 'rebellion' would probably defeat it here. It is harder to isolate any community so unfortunately, while I think the concept and implementation which are sound and that worked in Iceland (and should work anywhere in theory) are probably not going to work here - except in small isolated spots maybe.

It is too bad but it would take a major paradigm shift which I don't see ever materializing here. Would be great to try though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 05:24 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Whatever. If you have a child that's not interested in any kind sports or attending workshops, or social groups, then you cannot force them.

I tried my boys in all kinds of things when they were young. They plainly did not want to be there.

Good luck with that if you think you can force them to stay with something when they don't want to!
Your boys had zero interests or hobbies?

Old 01-21-2017, 05:41 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
My parents when I was very young made me try out sports and youth organizations as well and I had no interest in any of it. I just wanted to play video games and do computer related stuff. And now as an adult I make my living in technology.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:09 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
My parents when I was very young made me try out sports and youth organizations as well and I had no interest in any of it. I just wanted to play video games and do computer related stuff. And now as an adult I make my living in technology.
So, if there had been a technology club, where you met other kids, played games, maybe designed and created your own games, learned the history of computers, took field trips to see computer-related businesses and places - you still would have had no interest?

Activities of this kind require that kids be matched up with their existing interests - which can then be used as foundations to lead to other potential activities. Kids should be encouraged to keep open minds and give a wide variety of activities a try - but they should not be forced to engage in things that bore them, especially at the expense of time otherwise spent on their true interests.

Such programs, whatever their focus (computers, the arts, sports, etc.), require imaginative, committed and effective adult leadership by those with a real liking for kids and who are willing to invest their time and energy into working with young people.

Public libraries often offer a wide variety of after-school or weekend programs, but not on a daily basis. The Y does the same. There are other non-profit organizations, such as the Country Song and Dance Society of America, which offer family summer traditional music and dance camps and short-term midwinter activities open to teens as well as adults, along with including nationwide local groups which sponsor similar weekend events.

There are many local parks departments which offer a wide variety of summer activities. And of course, Boy and Girl Scouts have a long and illustrious history of service to youth. Public schools often offer after-school activities, along with sports, academic music, art, and drama classes, and special interest clubs. Many private and parochial schools do the same.

What we don't have in the U.S. is an over-arching national organization such as that in Iceland, to coordinate such activities for youth and families. I do not foresee that this is likely to occur in the years immediately ahead, so it behooves parents to seek out what is already there in their schools and communities, to involve their children, and to advocate for the organizations and agencies which already offer services of this kind. It will require research to see what's around, perhaps teaming with other families to start activities in "activities deserts", and knowing one's child in order to achieve the best fit.

I am afraid lazy parents, those most likely to have children at risk, are also most likely to simply opt out, since such research would require bestirring themselves on behalf of their children, something many would find too much like work.

Many caring parents already make good use of community resources for their children. But conveying the message that teens who are busy doing things they enjoy, particularly with good adult leadership and in the company of like-minded peers, are less likely to get into trouble of various kinds, seems crucial to involving adequate parents who fall in between these two extremes. Cost may exclude many, and that needs to be addressed as well, as these children are also likely to be more at risk than those from more financial well-off households.

A lot depends on what families and governments truly want. Right now, I think families had better see what they can do minus national governmental involvement - local governments may still offer services, at least for a while. I hope parents and other caring adults will speak up - loudly - about the desirability of this kind of investment in our young people - and our nation's future, and keep those same youth in mind at the polls when the opportunity comes.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:06 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post

I am afraid lazy parents, those most likely to have children at risk, are also most likely to simply opt out, since such research would require bestirring themselves on behalf of their children, something many would find too much like work.

I respectfully disagree with you here. I don't see them so much as lazy as overwhelmed and overworked themselves. Two income parents have little time, money or energy to haul kids around to extra activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting