Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 6,902 times

Advertisements

My children's school frequently has themed free dress days where the kids get to forego their uniforms, but only if they wear the right kind of clothes. Today they announced several new ones are coming up. Most are straightforward enough, but one came out of left field: Dress as Royalty Day. The only description given is "Don't forget those crowns and tiaras."

We have zero income right now and really need to save every penny, but we'd hate to make the kids wear their uniforms on free dress day. So, does anybody have any thoughts on how to make a couple of paupers look like a prince and a princess?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 07:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
If you really have zero money, there's not much anyone can do to help you. I have seen tiaras for a few dollars at some of these accessory stores. You can also try Dollar Tree.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:44 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,513,192 times
At my kids school, it is generally an excuse for the girls to wear their Frozen dresses...

The idea is really just to dress up, so Sunday best, or as close to it as you will allow for school. You can make a paper crown for your son from a $1 piece of gold foil covered cardstock from the craft store, and find a tiara at the dollar store for your daughter. That's really it.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:50 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Try Goodwill for clothes. They don't have to be fancy just creative.

You can also check around to see if anyone you know has a beauty queen in their family. My daughter has often loaned out crowns to people in similar situations. Or has made appearances at schools in full pageant regalia on days like that.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
Thrift store or garage sale web sites.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:42 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
Do you know anyone with kids older than them that could hand down a dress?

Old 01-24-2017, 03:40 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,115,631 times
Can you find some photos on the internet of Prince William and Princess Kate and have your kids were a similar outfit--something they already have? Kate is often seen in jeans and a striped top, for example. Print the photo and put it in their backpack if the school takes issue with it .

Old 01-24-2017, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 6,902 times
Thanks for your advice, everyone. I wish we could just send them in street clothes, but we've learned the hard way that it will just lead to a phone call from the principal that they'll be sent home if we don't show up with clothes that match the theme or their uniforms. The school wasn't always like that, but there's a new principal who is letting a few wealthy parents run rampant (one class is taking an "educational" multi-day field trip to Disneyland, or rather, those whose parents can come up with $1,300 are). We're trying to move to a charter school next year.

I will check our local thrift stores, but we're in there often and I'm not too optimistic about finding these sorts of costumes.

I think my daughter has an old plastic tiara, and we're going to try coloring a small crown on cardboard, cut it out and figure out some way to attach it to my son's head. Then tie some old sheets or blankets around their necks for capes. Or maybe we'll just say screw it, they have to wear their uniforms that day.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Does Burger King still give out crowns? If so, get a few from there and spray-paint them.

Old 01-24-2017, 08:38 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
fwiw, my son wears his uniform on dress down days and doesn't consider it a hardship. He's in middle school, so it's not these kinds of theme days, but they can earn dress down each week with good behavior/grades. He qualifies for it every week, but it's just as easy to stay on auto pilot in the mornings and reach for the uniform. So I think you could downplay these things if you don't want to play along, esp. if you plan to switch schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting