Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 02:46 PM
KCZ

4,655 posts, read 3,631,028 times

Advertisements

I would certainly look for a new daycare, but find out what actually happened. What if a non-custodial parent with a restraining order showed up, the daycare operator had a safety protocol in place for that which she followed, she kept the kids safe, and called the police? Assuming she's at fault here may be a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2017, 06:55 PM

617 posts, read 935,657 times
Day care lady called back. She said last night she was at the police station, was interrogated and cleared. A 5 month old had an accident but is ok. She is closed for the next week because she has a home inspector coming mid next week. Then she would be officially cleared. She said this is the first time in 20 years this has happened.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:01 PM

3,963 posts, read 4,222,748 times
Find a new daycare center for your child. This situation, and her story, stinks to high heaven. She was interrogated because of an accident? And the child was 5 months old? Nope, that would be the last time I would leave a child in her care. Why take a chance with your child's safety?

Old 01-27-2017, 07:31 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,311,302 times
Default Re

I'd be pissed off. You should demand to know what happened and never go back.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:17 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,183,088 times
I don't know what happened in your case, but my sister had a TIA, while she was babysitting her grandson. She called 911, and told the dispatcher that if they were going to send her anywhere, someone had to watch the kid....

So, there were a few police there with fire and ambulance. In the end, before she was taken in, her daughter in law came home...and my sister is fine, thank heavens.

In your case, something may have happened and she's very shaken up. If it's bad enough it will make the news.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:58 PM

2,483 posts, read 1,857,608 times
Around here, if you call 911 for a medical emergency you're likely to get a fire truck (they are almost always the first responders), a police car, the rescue squad and an ambulance.....but EIGHT policeman? I don't think so.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:08 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
It would be insane to take your child back to this daycare.

Eight cops at the daycare is NOT standard procedure. There is something seriously wrong here and if you believe her, you have serious issues.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:49 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,349,683 times
OP, this does sound distressing, but you have the weekend to think things over. Stuff does happen to the best of providers/parents, etc. Many years ago, a neighbor's child drank Roman Cleanser, a very caustic cleaner. They didn't have child proof caps back then. Was this a bad mother? Hardly....he was her 7th child, and 4th boy, so she certainly knew a thing or two about kids! He was right by her, in the basement, as she did laundry. Its not like she was passed out drunk somewhere! We didn't have 911 then, and she ran to my mother, because my mother was about the only neighbor with a car during the day. Mother was great in an emergency. Everyone else suggested making him throw up, Mother calmly gave him a small glass of milk, then drove them to the ER.

When my daughter was about 2.5, she got her foot stuck in the lattice work of a wood table. I called 911, I believe half the rescue of the city showed up! A fire truck, two police cars, seemed like at least 10--15 people swarming my house, along with two CPS social workers! Thy managed to get her foot out, no harm, not even a mark. Even the CPS ladies agreed she was ok.

My point in this rather long-winded post is, accidents can happen to the best of us. The number of responders isn't always an indication of the severity of the issue.

If you're otherwise satisfied with the care your child has been receiving, I would perhaps not consider changing. If your child is happy there, it might be traumatic to change his "world". Of course, I don't mean that in a glib fashion. Do investigate! Like others have said, get copies of police reports, insist on speaking with the director at length, and call CPS. In Texas, they regulate daycare centers. I'm sure they have been notified of the incident. Ask them what happened. I always checked out any day care or pre-school with CPS and they were very helpful and forthcoming with any negative information.

Hope things work out for you and your child

Old 01-28-2017, 12:30 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,721,623 times
Yellow crime scene tape to block off people coming up the driveway with police offers keeping you away says only one thing. The home was a scene of a crime or suspected to be one. They would not allow you to approach the house, and brought out your child to you. Crime Scene tape with police officers keeping people away, is not used for any other purpose than it is, or or suspected to be a crime scene. That is it's only purpose, to keep outsiders out of a crime scene when spread at a home. The only reason you have been given, was the day care person is too ill to be open tomorrow. You at this point, do not know if it is a serious crime being investigated, or if that day care will ever be open again.

As you have no idea of what the crime was that kept you away, do you really want to risk your child being there at this time? Be smart, and find other day care before you go back to work.

Old 01-28-2017, 12:52 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,059,204 times
Yellow tape & police that bring the child to you; means that the house had been secured as a crime scene. You were not allowed to simply walk in & pick up your child because you could have contaminated evidence.

Crime scenes are not secured for accidents unless there has been a critical, life-threatening injury or death. If the 5 month old survived & had been transported to the hospital it may account for the absence of other first-responders but even in my state (colorado) which REQUIRES a CPS investigation for unanticipated/unattended death (such as SIDS), you never see a taped-off scene.

Sometimes the scene of a violent armed-robbery will be taped off even without injury/death so that fingerprints, gunpowder residue, evidence, etc .. can be collected. But a child care?

Does your area law enforcement maintain a Police Blotter? Online RAIDS or "calls for service" database? Even a Twitter? I use all of those here for almost-live updates. I also use Radioreference.com for police/fire/emt live scanner data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting