Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2017, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
A few weeks ago our son casually mentioned that he has been chatting with a 40 year old woman online. I tried not to overreact. I asked him what they chat about. He said they both play the same online video game and initially, they just talked about that. Then it veered off into music, movies and books. Then she told him that she is in the midst of a difficult divorce. Sshe lives about 400 miles away.

We were really happy that he volunteered this information, which indicated he wasn't being secretive about it. We decided the best course was to keep the lines of communication open and just make sure he keeps us informed. We had a long talk about internet safety, cat fishing, etc.

We make him turn in his cellphone before bed every night, so he isn't up all hours of the night. My husband noticed that he does delete his text conversations with this woman.

So, yesterday we looked at the landline phone bill.

He has been talking to her on the phone in the middle of the night. Once, on a Monday night, he had a FIVE HOUR conversation with her. Twice, he had two hour conversations after midnight. This is all in the past two weeks.

We sat him down and confronted him with this. I did a search on Facebook of her phone number. She does have the name and age that she told him, but she still identifies as "married" on her FB profile. We have a difficult time believing that this "relationship" has not veered off into inappropriate territory. He swears up and down they are just friends. We are also concerned her husband is going to look at THEIR phone bill and try to find the person his wife has been chatting with in the middle of the night. I told my son that he needs to think hard about ending this. My husband said, "No thinking is required - END IT". I didn't want to be harsh, because usually that just causes teens to sneak around and do stuff behind your back.

My husband wants to call her just in case she isn't aware that he is only sixteen. I'm worried about losing our son's trust, but I see his point. I'm really not sure where to go from here.

OMG! call, who is the parent here.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:16 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:

I asked him if they ever discussed meeting up. He said that she told him they would have to wait until he was 18. This tells me that A) she definitely knew how old he is and B) there must have been some kind of sexual intent, otherwise why would his age matter? C) THEY DISCUSSED MEETING UP!!! This really shook me up.
If she really cared about him she would have said he needs to wait until he has a firmer grasp on the possible ramifications and consequences of an intimate relationship, like possible pregnancy. No way is an 18 year old able to pay a proper amount of child support.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:24 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald2 View Post
Yeah because making the woman seem "forbidden" when he is probably going to college in 18 months and can travel ANYWHERE he wants is a GREAT idea!

He's 16, not 13.
And he's 16, not 18. Not that an 18 year is automatically a fully mature adult, but they do generally have more life skills and judgement earned over those two years, just like a 16 year is more mature than 13 year old.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:41 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Disgusting!
I see my point was made and you understand... this woman having such a relationship with this child is disgusting.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:08 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
oh, I had miss that little quoted gem when it was first posted.

I can't help but wonder if that person would be equally comfortable with a 40 year old man banging a 16 year old girl in order to turn her into a woman.
Courtney Stodden's parents were ok with her marrying Doug Hutchinson when she was 16 and he was 51. Sure, the public may have initially disapproved, but does anyone actually care anymore?

Old 02-03-2017, 03:19 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,609,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
If she really cared about him she would have said he needs to wait until he has a firmer grasp on the possible ramifications and consequences of an intimate relationship, like possible pregnancy. No way is an 18 year old able to pay a proper amount of child support.
In that case, you're saying that no man of any age should be having "intimate relationships" with any woman of any age until he is able to pay the proper amount of child support. I'm not saying I disagree with you, but is that realistic?

Old 02-03-2017, 03:33 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,324 times
I'm glad to see that the situation was resolved. I'm sure your son feels a loss because this woman was someone he felt comfortable enough to confide in and they developed an emotional bond. However this woman should not have spoken to him about meeting up, even after he turns 18. The state of her marriage is still unknown but she is still married. There is really no indication other than her words that the marriage is on the rocks- she could be looking for a little fling. There is also no indication about how the husband would react to this "friendship"- maybe he'd be all right with it, maybe he'd hurt the son.

Old 02-03-2017, 07:23 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
He said that she told him they would have to wait until he was 18.
Not in your state. Just saying.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:19 PM

160 posts, read 83,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And he's 16, not 18. Not that an 18 year is automatically a fully mature adult, but they do generally have more life skills and judgement earned over those two years, just like a 16 year is more mature than 13 year old.

There's very little difference between 16 and 18.

Most maturity comes from 10 to 15 and then again from 21 to 25.

But not much changes between 15 and 21.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:22 PM

160 posts, read 83,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post

Or maybe she just want to protect herself?

Why does everyone immediately assume that sex was the goal?

There's plenty of desperate older girls at your local bar if that was his goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting