Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 07:16 AM

25,939 posts, read 22,083,977 times

Advertisements

I just can't imagine that a 40 year old woman, which I was some years ago, in talking/texting/etc. would not realize that a male was 16 years old. Think about it.

I would probably call the police and make an inquiry. The parents now know that this relationship is going on and allowing it if it turns out to be what it looks like is going to make the parents look very neglectful if this thing progresses which it obviously will.

It appears to be at a level of obsession at this point on the son's part which should be stopped despite the age when someone is up at all hours as a child in their parent's home.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:23 AM

953 posts, read 842,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Quit rationalizing, seriously. You should have done this when he first told you weeks ago. What you accept you teach.

You as parents are his first line of defense. Quit second guessing the motives of this adult who has escalated the online "friendship" to personal phone calls and texts, which your son is now deleting.

Seriously, are you waiting until he runs off to meet this person.

Put it this way....If you had woken up in the middle of the night, and this 40 something person was standing in your son's bedroom....Would you have second guessed their motive or called the police. Do something.

Welcome to Safely Ever After, Inc.
How to report on bottom of article.
http://www.duq.edu/assets/Documents/...t%20Safety.pdf
^^^

Very sound advice. Situations like this can spiral out of control so quickly. Dealing with a teenager is challenging enough, but when he loses himself in the fact that an older woman (assuming that is the case) is showing him attention, his head takes up residence in the clouds.

Personal aside: As a high school freshman I vividly remember the attractive and sexy french teacher approximately 30 years old who leaned against the desk during the entire class. I was one of her go to students when nobody else raised their hand or contributed in any way, and the attention she showed me (all above board) made me think to myself that this must be a preview of what heaven may be like. Such are the workings of the teenage brain.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:33 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,955,614 times
Quote:
Ruining someone??

If the police go talk to this woman, who is inappropriately contacting this teen, having escalated from online gaming to middle of the night secretive phone calls and they find nothing sexual or explicit has happened it will go no further. She will get a warning.
How do you know that she knows she's talking to a 16 year old? You don't. What happens if it gets her fired from her job? If she doesn't know he's 16 and she thinks she's talking to an adult (OP said he has a deep voice) and how do we really know she's 40? Nobody ever lies online and on a facebook profile.

If he has formed some type of connection to this person then maybe he needs to talk to someone. Maybe more things are going on his life then his parents know and maybe a therapist can help.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:38 AM

217 posts, read 236,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post

So, yesterday we looked at the landline phone bill.

He has been talking to her on the phone in the middle of the night. Once, on a Monday night, he had a FIVE HOUR conversation with her. Twice, he had two hour conversations after midnight. This is all in the past two weeks.
I didn't know long-distance calls still cost extra money. Don't landline phone plans nowadays offer unlimited calling regardless of location (within the USA)?

Old 01-31-2017, 07:58 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassGuy View Post
I didn't know long-distance calls still cost extra money. Don't landline phone plans nowadays offer unlimited calling regardless of location (within the USA)?

It didn't cost extra. What shocked us was the length of the conversations. Thank goodness we have free long distance.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Ruining someone??

If the police go talk to this woman, who is inappropriately contacting this teen, having escalated from online gaming to middle of the night secretive phone calls and they find nothing sexual or explicit has happened it will go no further. She will get a warning.
No, she will then be on a list, a record of contact and investigation that very well could come back to bite her in the butt at some point.
It cracks me up when people think that when they sick the police on someone and they go out or call the person in "to talk" that that's the end of the matter.... News flash, IT'S NOT especially when it comes to things like this, you WILL be on a list and have a file.

There will be/is a record of the investigation that remains FOR LIFE. A deep background investigation can reveal these investigations and can in fact ruin someone especially if they're going for any job or has a job that requires security clearance.
A divorce could bring it out as well if the investigator digs enough. Private Detective or LEO to woman's coworkers: Did you see Mrs.X on any websites for kids or acting/saying anything that shows she takes interest in children? Were you aware Mrs.X was investigated for a sex abuse allegation? Did you see any behavior that might shed some light on it? Investigator leaves and within 10 minutes the whole office knows and her job is POOF gone even though there was nothing to it.

I don't get why adults can't act like adults (in situations such as this) and speak to the person they've got a problem with BEFORE calling in LEO's, unless there's some real indication violence could ensue from said call.

If it's legal in your state record the call in case future action needs to be taken, issue a stern warning and if it happens again then you've got solid reasons/evidence to call in LEO's, at that point the person clearly has brought it on themselves.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:24 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,512,741 times
If it was a man contacting your 16 year old daughter, what would you do? This is no different. How many other parents have protected this woman in the past, so that she is still free to do this to your son? When you see those 16 year olds on Amber Alerts, believed to be with an older person they met online, and you wonder how did their parents not know this was happening? You know this is happening. You have a chance to stop any further damage being done to your child.

As for Mrs X's life being ruined - she took that chance when she decided to waste hours every night talking to a random stranger. Unless she has a very convincing case to prove he did a great job of misleading her on his age, she is the adult and she is at fault.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:31 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,570,971 times
The attitude most of you are taking is absurd. In some states you can legally marry at 16, or at least could in the recent past. I think I don't need to have kids myself to have license to say this.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:38 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The attitude most of you are taking is absurd. In some states you can legally marry at 16, or at least could in the recent past.
16 is a minor child, still in high school. Parents are still legally and morally responsible for their safety and well being

Quote:
I think I don't need to have kids myself to have license to say this.
Yeah....

I agree with calling the woman directly as a first step. The 16 year old is in over his head.

I agree with this:

Quote:
If it was a man contacting your 16 year old daughter, what would you do? This is no different.
Has the OP done anything yet? Anything at all?

Old 01-31-2017, 08:40 AM

676 posts, read 725,218 times
I think it's funny you think you will be able to control what your 16 yr old is doing. He will find a way if he wants to continue the relationship. To be frank at 16 he is old enough to know what he wants. You really think his mentality will change any in two years when he's an adult, doubtfull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting