Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 02:24 PM

10,742 posts, read 5,668,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Look at the post I quoted. He wasn't being a deadbeat.
I did, and it doesn't change what I posted. The OP said the son wasn't pulling his weight, and you say he wasn't a deadbeat. I wonder who is correct?

Quote:
He thought he was welcome because he was told he was welcome.
He was welcome - until he wasn't. Why is that so hard to understand?

Old 02-01-2017, 02:26 PM

10,742 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
And? That's still considered WORKING. Plenty of people work at a very low level until they hopefully find something much better to do.

The circumstances can change, fine, but she shouldn't expect her son to not be pissed off either.
The son had his lifestyle subsidized by Mom until Mom said no more. Unreasonable people get pissed off at that. Reasonable people don't.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:33 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,411,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
How could the son know much about being an adult with a mother that hasn't really grown up? She is 53 and still rents? Raised a child in an apartment? Those certainly don't show the son what hard work can bring you.

When I was the sons age girls stayed home until marriage and boys until they could buy a house. All different cultures. Only the lower class would get an apartment.

I'm with the other 2 posters who saw this post for what it was, a complete piece of garbage. Who are you to tell this OP that living in an apartment means she is a complete failure?

Old 02-01-2017, 02:59 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I feel sorry for any parent who has such a horrible relationship with they kids that they want them to leave. I never wanted my two sons to go. We signed on as parents for life, not just 21 years, or whatever. I guess every parent sees it differently.
You are what is wrong with this country. You are doing your sons a disservice in coddling them. Our jobs as responsible parents is to prepare them to be productive members of society with the ability to live on their own, have good jobs and take care of their own family - preparing your grandchildren to then do the same.

Geez.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:16 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1to1onto View Post
So my son, who just turned 23, graduated from college a few months ago. I told him he was welcome to stay with me as long as he wanted. Big mistake.

My husband and I divorced many many years ago, and I raised my son in an apartment. I still live in this apartment, and while I missed my son when he was away at college, I loved having my own space. Things are now back to the way they way were before they went to college, except that he's a 23-year-old man instead of a teenage boy.

He's managed to get some very low-paying jobs with his degree, but doesn't earn enough to contribute a lot. He's an adult now and I have no obligation to let him live with me. So the other day, I told him that he had 2 months to find another place. And he hit the ceiling.

He told me I was selfish and didn't love him, and also called me a traitor and other horrific things. He said all this instead of thanking me for letting him stay under my roof for 8 months. How does he not understand me wanting my own space after 23 years? I took having my own space for granted when he was at college, which is why I said he could return for as long as he wanted, but now I realize what a luxury I had and that I really want it back.

Surely he must understand my need for peace and independence.
I found it odd that you think he would. He does not see you as an individual person, most likely, but as HIS MOTHER only.

I'm not saying that to disparage your son. I have a 25-year-old daughter who has been out on her own except for two brief periods of a couple months each when she stayed with me, before and after living overseas.

But I think she just sees me as Mom and not as a woman who wants now to move ahead with whatever life remains.

Stick to your guns. I understand your need for peace and independence!

He might not get it right away, but by forcing him to stand on his own, you are really doing him a favor.

Good luck.

ETA: Read some more in the thread, and yes, maybe it has to be discussed at a different level. Make a plan that involves both your input, but let him know that you need to live your life, too, and at your age you don't want to put it on hold too much longer.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:41 PM

504 posts, read 300,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
How could the son know much about being an adult with a mother that hasn't really grown up? She is 53 and still rents? Raised a child in an apartment? Those certainly don't show the son what hard work can bring you.

When I was the sons age girls stayed home until marriage and boys until they could buy a house. All different cultures. Only the lower class would get an apartment.
So, what do you tell the mother who raised four children, all successful adults, on her own, with no child support payments and has had to rent during that time? Not grown up?

That would be my girl friend you are talking about. She is a 57 year old professional, who dedicated her life to her 4 children, and not herself. Get your head out of the sand; not everyone lives in Mayberry. Only now can she work on contributing to her 401K, which she is doing at the rate of $24K per year.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:02 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,168 times
Read what the OP wrote exactly:

He's managed to get some very low-paying jobs with his degree, but doesn't earn enough to contribute a lot. He's an adult now and I have no obligation to let him live with me. So the other day, I told him that he had 2 months to find another place. And he hit the ceiling.

(1) Her son is working more than one job. (OP uses the word "Jobs"). And depending on what kind of degree he has acquired, he may not be able to get a decent paying job even if he tries his best to look for it.

(2) Her son did contribute -- but not a lot (depends on how much OP is considering "a lot").

(3) The OP said she has no obligation to live with her son, not because of his bad temper, but because he doesn't contribute a lot.

It looks like if her son can contribute more, then she does not mind her son staying longer with her.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:19 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,615,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natiam View Post
You sound like such a selfish and cold hearted mom. He's not a random stranger, he's your son for goodness sake. You already said he doesn't make enough to contribute, so you're basically telling him to hit the streets.
The 23 year is an adult. Mom's under no obligation to let him live there. The sooner he moves out the better for him and for her. It's time for him to put on big boy pants and deal with life.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:44 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,405,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
You are what is wrong with this country. You are doing your sons a disservice in coddling them. Our jobs as responsible parents is to prepare them to be productive members of society with the ability to live on their own, have good jobs and take care of their own family - preparing your grandchildren to then do the same.

Geez.
Yeah, because living with their parents means they're being coddled .

And she said she never wanted them to go, so it means they did move out at some point.

This notion that because someone is still living at home past a certain age means they're being coddled and are deadbeats needs to end, so many ignorant and presumptuous posts in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
The son had his lifestyle subsidized by Mom until Mom said no more. Unreasonable people get pissed off at that. Reasonable people don't.
Again, he may very well have been caught off guard. The Mom hasn't said if she actually sat him down and tried to formulate some kind of plan.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:37 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1to1onto View Post
So my son, who just turned 23, graduated from college a few months ago. I told him he was welcome to stay with me as long as he wanted. Big mistake.

My husband and I divorced many many years ago, and I raised my son in an apartment. I still live in this apartment, and while I missed my son when he was away at college, I loved having my own space. Things are now back to the way they way were before they went to college, except that he's a 23-year-old man instead of a teenage boy.

He told me I was selfish and didn't love him, and also called me a traitor and other horrific things. He said all this instead of thanking me for letting him stay under my roof for 8 months. How does he not understand me wanting my own space after 23 years? I took having my own space for granted when he was at college, which is why I said he could return for as long as he wanted, but now I realize what a luxury I had and that I really want it back.

Surely he must understand my need for peace and independence.
I have not read beyond the OP but just have to comment. First of all,you owe this adult NOTHING. He got his degree and is managing to find work and it's time to fly away now. His reaction to your telling him it's time to leave the nest is classic entitlement. He is not entitled to anything from you except the normal love of a mother.

Not wanting to come across as rude but it sounds to me like junior needs to grow a pair and man up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting