Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 08:13 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I just don't get it. My parents NEVER tried to push us out. We had our freedom to come and go and we contributed to the household. My brother was in his 30's when he got married and THEN moved out. I was 27 when I got married and THEN moved out. I don't get these parents that try to push their kids out especially at a young age (yes, 23 IS young) and they're not even making that much money to support themselves.

I sense no loving relationship at all.
27 and over 30? At anytime did you look back and say, wow, this might be a little pathetic that I still live with mommy and daddy and can't support myself, as a fully grown adult? Are there a-lot of similarities between how your wife interacts with you, and your mom did?

Old 01-31-2017, 08:17 AM

372 posts, read 534,004 times
Your offers to "let him stay as long as he wanted" to "he has 2 months to leave"

Are opposite ends of a spectrum: one too much... the other not enough...

You want your space back... and that's completely understandable

He wants to feel safe... also completely understandable

Humans are as vulnerable as we are strong and capable... and he's learning to find his way

Neither "tough" love nor the "endless breast" will be helpful, because he naturally will resent both

He needs career guidance from a non-biased mentor so he can get his feet on the ground
AND feel good about himself

Resources are available at low and no cost for reliable career coaching

You may need support to help you through this transition as well

As spring arrives, more employment opportunities will open up

Our relationships with our children are profoundly important

You can find the best way to support both him and yourself, with the two of you growing together

Especially as you both look at this as a team working together toward a common purpose

Good luck! Have faith that you can navigate this in a way that feels good for both of you

Old 01-31-2017, 08:23 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
All nonsense. This is not a tenant.
The law in many states does not agree with you.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:25 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
27 and over 30? At anytime did you look back and say, wow, this might be a little pathetic that I still live with mommy and daddy and can't support myself, as a fully grown adult? Are there a-lot of similarities between how your wife interacts with you, and your mom did?
Not at all. We were independent and encouraged to save money. I don't have a wife--I have a husband and there's nothing wrong with our relationship or how we treat each other. Growing up we weren't babied or spoiled. We weren't forced out of the house. If we wanted to leave, we could. My brother and I turned out to be very successful individuals, married successful individuals and both of us have independent willed kids.

No need for the condescending attitude.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:41 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,514,349 times
You have the right to decide who gets to stay in your home and he should respect that. His response was uncalled for frankly.

He has options, he might not like them, but he has options. Although tbh he sounds kind of spoiled so I can see how he might think that throwing a tantrum might get him what he wants instead of what he should be doing. Part of being a grown up is rolling with the punches life throws you. Your landlord says you need to move, you find a new place to live. If your current job doesn't pay enough, you get another. It's what you do. He needs to start being a grown up and you need to start making him.

As for your relationship - yes I can see why he would be upset after you told him he could stay and have now changed your mind. But he's not entitled to unlimited free lodging in your home and at the end of the day, he was going to have to get his act together at some point. You're doing him a favor by making him stand on his own two feet now while he's still young enough to turn things around. He will thank you eventually.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:25 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,318,749 times
Easy--call up at least 4 sympathetic male family members (uncles etc) with burly physical attributes and THROW him out physically, then change the locks and install a burglar system. Done.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:37 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1to1onto View Post
He told me I was selfish and didn't love him, and also called me a traitor and other horrific things.
He also didn't mention you are a bad parent, because you didn't fully prepare him to join the work force. You weren't active in his career plans and how he was going to implement them. I never returned home to live with my parents after college, because I got their proper guidance to not have to do that. You failed as a parent, and now you are blaming him. You don't care what he does, you just want him out. Shame on you, that your entire motivation is to have your own space. You talk like someone who wants to divorce their own child.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natiam View Post
You sound like such a selfish and cold hearted mom. He's not a random stranger, he's your son for goodness sake. You already said he doesn't make enough to contribute, so you're basically telling him to hit the streets.
Bingo!!!

Old 01-31-2017, 09:43 AM

13 posts, read 17,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
He also didn't mention you are a bad parent, because you didn't fully prepare him to join the work force. You weren't active in his career plans and how he was going to implement them. I never returned home to live with my parents after college, because I got their proper guidance to not have to do that. You failed as a parent, and now you are blaming him. You don't care what he does, you just want him out. Shame on you, that your entire motivation is to have your own space. You talk like someone who wants to divorce their own child.
You're saying it's my fault that he hasn't moved out? Last time I checked, adults were responsible for their own actions. Honestly, I'm quite jealous of your parents, because they were blessed with a responsible child who made smart decisions.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindthescreen View Post
Must be a troll post. No mom can be that heartless but you never know. Moving along....
Newly created account, you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting