Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 10:53 PM

13 posts, read 17,263 times

Advertisements

So my son, who just turned 23, graduated from college a few months ago. I told him he was welcome to stay with me as long as he wanted. Big mistake.

My husband and I divorced many many years ago, and I raised my son in an apartment. I still live in this apartment, and while I missed my son when he was away at college, I loved having my own space. Things are now back to the way they way were before they went to college, except that he's a 23-year-old man instead of a teenage boy.

He's managed to get some very low-paying jobs with his degree, but doesn't earn enough to contribute a lot. He's an adult now and I have no obligation to let him live with me. So the other day, I told him that he had 2 months to find another place. And he hit the ceiling.

He told me I was selfish and didn't love him, and also called me a traitor and other horrific things. He said all this instead of thanking me for letting him stay under my roof for 8 months. How does he not understand me wanting my own space after 23 years? I took having my own space for granted when he was at college, which is why I said he could return for as long as he wanted, but now I realize what a luxury I had and that I really want it back.

Surely he must understand my need for peace and independence.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:00 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times
If he refuses to move, you may have to. I know two couples who did exactly that. One couple had their daughters whole family there ( 4 people) and it got to be too much. You could put a for sale sign up and see it they decide to go ahead did get out.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:03 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
[Mod cut: resolved]

How were you in your approach to asking him to find his own place? He may have been blindsided, and not currently ready to live out on his own quite yet (even if he does eventually want his own place and independence).

Last edited by elnina; 01-31-2017 at 12:55 AM..

Old 01-30-2017, 11:07 PM

13 posts, read 17,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
If he refuses to move, you may have to. I know two couples who did exactly that. One couple had their daughters whole family there ( 4 people) and it got to be too much. You could put a for sale sign up and see it they decide to go ahead did get out.
How is that fair? It's my house, not his. I'm the one paying the bills. It's my choice as to who gets to live there or not, just like you get to choose who lives or doesn't live in your house. It was nice enough of me to let him stay with me for a few months. He's 23, he should be supporting himself in his own place. How many 23-year-olds live with Mommy? I was stupid for even thinking of letting him live with me.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:11 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1to1onto View Post
How is that fair? It's my house, not his. I'm the one paying the bills. It's my choice as to who gets to live there or not, just like you get to choose who lives or doesn't live in your house. It was nice enough of me to let him stay with me for a few months. He's 23, he should be supporting himself in his own place. How many 23-year-olds live with Mommy? I was stupid for even thinking of letting him live with me.
Life is not fair and you will more than likely have to go through legal steps to evict him from your home.
Be sure you follow the steps exactly and hire an attorney if you have to.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:17 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,405,340 times
Quote:
How many 23-year-olds live with Mommy? I was stupid for even thinking of letting him live with me.
Eh, plenty of 20-30 year olds nowadays live with their parents, and neither party minds it whatsoever, especially with how the job economy is.

Plus, even if they do live with their parents, a lot of them work and saving up money for their future, and also contribute around the house.

Is your son working and making money? Is he doing chores around the house? Does he treat you well?

Also, how do you know he'll even have enough money in the bank to move out? He may be lashing out at you cause he's stressed about figuring out how he'll manage his finances to move now. Look at it from his perspective.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:33 PM

332 posts, read 294,546 times
You sound like such a selfish and cold hearted mom. He's not a random stranger, he's your son for goodness sake. You already said he doesn't make enough to contribute, so you're basically telling him to hit the streets.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:50 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
I didn't know mothers would do such a thing.

@anyrate, keep pushing him with your love and guidance; he will begin to hate you enough to leave.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:56 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
These days it's not uncommon for 23-year-olds, recent college grads, to live with Mom. -If he doesn't make enough money to pay for rent, utilities and food, he'll end up on the street. He may not even be making enough to pay for a room in a shared house or apt. If his degree isn't enough for him to get jobs, maybe he should consider getting loans to go to grad school, or he could look for an employer that would sponsor grad school for him. You could brainstorm with him.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:59 PM

636 posts, read 392,628 times
Based on this
Quote:
He's managed to get some very low-paying jobs with his degree, but doesn't earn enough to contribute a lot...
So the other day, I told him that he had 2 months to find another place.
and this
Quote:
I think there's a chance you might not have handled it in the best way.

If he's not making enough to contribute, how do you expect him to move out?
If you told him he could stay as long as you wanted, how do you expect him to feel when you, apparently out of the blue, give him a 2 month deadline.

I kind of doubt, though I could certainly be wrong, that living with his mother his dream situation and you just shattered it.

Did you try talking to him about his plans?
Maybe that would have worked better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting