U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 11:13 AM

846 posts, read 323,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Please quit "gathering". Maybe the director is a crank!
No need to bite my head off. They're not mutually exclusive - it's a pervasive problem, and the director (or whoever wrote the sign) is a crank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 11:34 AM

83,469 posts, read 96,461,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
No need to bite my head off. They're not mutually exclusive - it's a pervasive problem, and the director (or whoever wrote the sign) is a crank.
But how do you know it's a pervasive problem? No one involved in this thread, including the OP, even uses this day care! Maybe there was an incident the day before and it just ticked off a staff person. Maybe it happens twice a year! Who knows?

Old 02-03-2017, 12:13 PM

846 posts, read 323,776 times
Quote:
But how do you know it's a pervasive problem? No one involved in this thread, including the OP, even uses this day care! Maybe there was an incident the day before and it just ticked off a staff person. Maybe it happens twice a year! Who knows?
Reminder: the sign says, "We have seen children trying to hand their parents their work they completed and the parent is on the phone. We have heard a child say 'Mommy mommy mommy' and the parent is paying more attention to their phone than their own child".

So sounds like minimum 2-3 incidents the prior day, if we go with your theory.

'Get off your phone': Texas day care touches nerves with cellphone sign | abc7ny.com

Apparently they added a "please" and smiley emoji to soften the original message, lol.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:07 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,229,096 times
Quote:
Well, see, there's a difference. Your wife usually picks up your child, you do rarely. So it's a big deal for you. Ask your wife about this.
She's also not on the phone when she picks him up - except for taking his picture. That said, she's a teacher. Who's she going to be on a conference call with, another parent? They can wait. Even the weeks where I'm picking him up every day because I'm on an earlier schedule - I leave the work phone in the car. It's a luxury I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I call baloney.

You have never taken a call ever while with your child? Really? If not, I would bet cash money that you don't spend a lot of one on one time with your kid. It is easy to proclaim kids come first, if you are only spending an hour with them a night.

Additionally, it is a mistake not to teach kids that sometimes they have to wait for your attention, that other people and other things may need to take priority sometimes. It is a disservice to children to teach them to expect to be the center of attention, even their parents attention, ALL THE TIME.
I have taken a work call with him exactly one time since he was born. He's just shy of two. The one time I took that call, the person on the other end asked me right away if I needed to call him back and that it was perfectly fine if I did. It was a short conversation and the kiddo was maybe 4 months old and content playing on the floor, so not an issue. 5 minutes and I was done.

I'm quite lucky to work for a company that values a work/family balance. My joining a call a few minutes late (assuming I'm doing it after hours to begin with) isn't an issue, since many of us on the team have kids and now how it goes.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:21 PM

9,789 posts, read 5,979,731 times
Quote:
Apparently they added a "please" and smiley emoji to soften the original message, lol.
That just makes the whole note even more passive aggressive.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:25 PM

14,954 posts, read 12,610,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
I have taken a work call with him exactly one time since he was born. He's just shy of two. The one time I took that call, the person on the other end asked me right away if I needed to call him back and that it was perfectly fine if I did. It was a short conversation and the kiddo was maybe 4 months old and content playing on the floor, so not an issue. 5 minutes and I was done.

I'm quite lucky to work for a company that values a work/family balance. My joining a call a few minutes late (assuming I'm doing it after hours to begin with) isn't an issue, since many of us on the team have kids and now how it goes.
Wait you think since you never took a work call while he was an infant that implies you won't moving forward?

Old 02-03-2017, 01:28 PM

14,954 posts, read 12,610,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And I call a lack of reading comprehension. The person you quoted didn't say they never were on the phone while with their child. They said that they were never on the phone while picking up their child from daycare.

I never was either. As I stated earlier, if for some reason I needed to be on the phone, I stayed out in the parking lot in my car to finish the call before going into the daycare.

And this thread isn't about judging a parent in their entirety, it's about judging a particular action - picking up a child from daycare and not paying attention to them because you are focused on the phone.

Not to mention that no where does it say that parents are only on business conference calls when this is an issue. In fact, many people agreed it was likely not even talking on the phone, just the generic eyes glued to screen for texting, tweeting, playing games, etc. that didn't seem important enough to stop to the specific parents the daycare who posted the sign was presumably trying to reach.
Ah so the assumptions never end...if they are on the phone they are playing fames, tweeting, texting, etc.

My point is and remains you actually have no idea what they are doing, just like the guy who gave me crap for being on the phone getting directions to the damn hospital. Stop judging people for YOUR assumptions.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:34 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,229,096 times
Quote:
Wait you think since you never took a work call while he was an infant that implies you won't moving forward?
Not picking him up from daycare I won't. I can and will choose to not carry that phone for the 15 minutes it'll take me to get in, sign him out, find out about his day and see what he's doing. Same thing with doctors visits, etc. A call isn't that important - anyone calling me will also understand when I tell them what I was doing when I missed the call. Will it happen in the future when he's at home with me or we're out somewhere? Quite possibly - but not at this stage in his life. Same reason why I don't work from home when he's sick and I stay home with him. He's not quite two - he doesn't understand the difference between play time and work time. Pull out my work computer and he wants to play with it and see what I'm doing. Therefore...I don't pull it out of my bag if he's anywhere nearby. Problem solved.

It's a choice you have to make. I work for a company that allows me that choice, and I will choose my family every time given that choice.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:38 PM
Status: "The list doesn’t destroy culture; it creates it" (set 20 days ago)

17,367 posts, read 8,991,004 times
Quote:
Ah so the assumptions never end...if they are on the phone they are playing fames, tweeting, texting, etc.

My point is and remains you actually have no idea what they are doing, just like the guy who gave me crap for being on the phone getting directions to the damn hospital. Stop judging people for YOUR assumptions.
And if this was a one time thing in an emergency situation, this thread wouldn't exist because the daycare wouldn't have posted the sign.

Stop being so damn sensitive, not everything is about you.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:08 PM

83,469 posts, read 96,461,791 times
Quote:
Reminder: the sign says, "We have seen children trying to hand their parents their work they completed and the parent is on the phone. We have heard a child say 'Mommy mommy mommy' and the parent is paying more attention to their phone than their own child".

So sounds like minimum 2-3 incidents the prior day, if we go with your theory.

'Get off your phone': Texas day care touches nerves with cellphone sign | abc7ny.com

What theory is that? I asked, "But how do you know it's a pervasive problem? No one involved in this thread, including the OP, even uses this day care! Maybe there was an incident the day before and it just ticked off a staff person. Maybe it happens twice a year! Who knows?"

Where are you getting 2-3 times a day from?

And I will add, the parents are the day care center's employers! They wouldn't have jobs if it weren't for these parents putting their kids in the center. Now I know, these days, day care is hard to find, and good day care even harder, but still.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or