U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 05:40 PM

12,419 posts, read 18,074,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
There is usually a fee to pay for a bus driver or admission etc.

School funding is threadbare these days. Be thankful they are doing field trips at all.
Indeed. And, if I recall correctly, the OP's child is in kindergarten. By middle school, the cost of field trips will rise dramatically if your experience is anything like our own. One child went to Boston for 3 days, the other two went to Disney.

The PTA raises funds for things that benefit the teachers, or the student body as a whole, such as assemblies and field days. Class trip destination are usually chosen by the classroom teacher(s) and approved by the administration, paid for by the parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 05:50 PM

4,763 posts, read 3,148,625 times
Of course parents pay for field trips.

First it's a few hours to a local experience a few times a year (elementary). Then it's a week long trip to an outdoor environmental camp (middle school). Then it's Band trips to NYC (high school). Then History field trips to Washington, DC and elsewhere (high school). Then study abroad (high school/college).

Who else would pay for these things?

Old 02-02-2017, 05:52 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,787,727 times
Echoing the other posters - yes, it is the norm to pay for field trips. The cost of the bus obviously needs to be accounted for, as does the cost of admission if students are going somewhere with a fee.

If money is an issue for your family, speak with the teacher. Our PTA sets aside monies for students who cannot afford field trips, other schools have different funding options.

In elementary school we usually paid $5-$15 for the field trips. They were to places like the science museum, wildlife observatory, etc. Admission was cheaper than if we'd have gone as a family because the destinations generally offer a group discount rate. The trips got a little more expensive in middle school - they went to overnight camp for three days (think it was $80) in 6th grade and an overnight in Chicago at the end of 8th grade ($100). By the time they got to high school, field trips were a rarity but extracurricular trips were much more common, and expensive - ski club, band trip to Disney world, choir sang in NY, Spanish club to Spain, etc. But those were optional.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:56 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,787,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Of course parents pay for field trips.

First it's a few hours to a local experience a few times a year (elementary). Then it's a week long trip to an outdoor environmental camp (middle school). Then it's Band trips to NYC (high school). Then History field trips to Washington, DC and elsewhere (high school). Then study abroad (high school/college).

Who else would pay for these things?
At some schools school near me, the schools get one grant per class per year so the students can go on a field trip. These are low income schools where >75% of the students receive free lunch.

Obviously at schools where ~$10 isn't a financial strain for the students' families, the parents pay.

Old 02-02-2017, 05:56 PM

16,523 posts, read 20,327,515 times
if their is a charge for the field trips...
i hope someone plans something fun for the kids that dont go,,,, or parents wont/refuse to pay

Old 02-02-2017, 05:58 PM

4,698 posts, read 3,731,101 times
Well, yeah, parents have to pay. If you are free or reduced lunch you can ask for a reduced fee for field trips.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:30 PM

23,596 posts, read 26,281,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Just got a notice from my school that there is a field trip coming up. Flyer tells us that information about cost will be distributed in the near future.

Cost?

We parents have to pay for the field trip? I thought that is what the PTSA fundraisers did. Or the community donated for. Or , or or. I didn't think they could charge parents for children to go on field trips?

(Age of my student is elementary school for reference.)
We have to pay for all field trips here, plus "in school field trips," for example, where the zoo brings animals to the school, or something. It would be nice if they were part of the school budget, but it never, ever occurred to me that the "community" would donate for such things.

When we pay online, there is always an option to select if your child is on free or reduced lunch, meaning you meet the income threshold for that. In that case, you don't have to pay for your child to go.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:28 PM

1,019 posts, read 322,121 times
I remember my parents having to pay for my field trips, back in the 70's. I assumed everyone paid for field trips.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:41 PM

1,773 posts, read 779,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Just got a notice from my school that there is a field trip coming up. Flyer tells us that information about cost will be distributed in the near future.

Cost?

We parents have to pay for the field trip? I thought that is what the PTSA fundraisers did. Or the community donated for. Or , or or. I didn't think they could charge parents for children to go on field trips?

(Age of my student is elementary school for reference.)
Every school my 'kids' who are now in their late 30's went to and right down to my grandkids schools always charged for any kind of trip. Somebody has to pay for those buses.

Old 02-02-2017, 07:51 PM

12,410 posts, read 6,959,226 times
Yep. We've paid for many a field trip. I'd be taken aback by not having to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting