Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 09:59 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Did you ask your daughter why she bought your granddaughter a watch for Valentine's Day? Seems like that would be the place to start.

Otherwise, there are a ton of unwarranted assumptions in your post:

--Most parents today buy their kids expensive Valentine's gifts.

--Kids are spoiled and "treated like royalty" on holidays.

--Kids ignore their parents and get them nothing for Valentine's Day

--Valentine's Day is for sweethearts, not kids, but it's appropriate for kids to make their parents Valentine's cards (that one is the strangest of all).

Are you bent out of shape that your daughter bought a gift for her daughter, but you don't think she'll give you anything?
I agree with most of your post, but it's really none of the OP's business what her daughter chooses to do for her own daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 10:02 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
I wanted to point out that, IMHO, giving a child a small box of candy for Valentine's Day is a much. much different type of "gift" than buying them a $200 watch.

I doubt if a lot of the parents who mentioned that they gave their child a small box of chocolates would consider a $200 video game or $200 remote control car or a $200 piece of nice jewelry as an equivalent "gift" to their child for Valentine's Day.

But, different families are different. Maybe, in some circles, or in some families, those types of gifts are common (but, not in my family or my circle of friends).

Old 02-05-2017, 10:18 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I wanted to point out that, IMHO, giving a child a small box of candy for Valentine's Day is a much. much different type of "gift" than buying them a $200 watch.

I doubt if a lot of the parents who mentioned that they gave their child a small box of chocolates would consider a $200 video game or $200 remote control car or a $200 piece of nice jewelry as an equivalent "gift" to their child for Valentine's Day.

But, different families are different. Maybe, in some circles, or in some families, those types of gifts are common (but, not in my family or my circle of friends).
It was a $50 watch. Maybe she needed a watch and found a great deal so splurged a tad.

In any event, I agree with Mattie that it isn't anyone's business.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:19 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
I am out of touch. All my life I thought Valentine's Day was a day when you bought candy and/or a greeting card for your spouse or significant other. But now I find that moms with husbands are buying gifts for their children on that day!
My daughter, 47, went to a boutique and they were having a 75% off sale. She bought a $200 wristwatch for her teenage daughter for Valentine's Day! Is this normal to you? I'm old and the way I was brought up the kids of the household were not treated like royalty. They made their parents cards for Valentine's. Isn't it a day for sweethearts?
What do you feel about this era of spoiled kids raised to think they're something very special on holidays and that parents can be ignored?
Seriously? After your last thread? You need to stop this stuff with your daughter.

And yes, many people buys gifts for the children on Valentine's Day.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:23 AM

506 posts, read 651,370 times
saibot , how can I be "bent out of shape" that my daughter won't give me a Valentine's gift when she NEVER has and I've never heard of children doing it? Plus, I've never given her one either!
I can't wait to see the watch, actually. I love my granddaughter and I'm sorry you seem to think I'm extremely childish!

Old 02-05-2017, 10:25 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
My kids are in their early 20's. When they were young we gave them a card and some treat for Valentine's Day.

I started a new "tradition" with my very young nephews last year. All three are under 8. I wrote them each a silly note, drew lots of hearts, and sent them a $1. They LOVED it. Will do it again this year.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:25 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
I've spend $200 on my kids just because it's a Monday and I love them, so I can't wrap myself around the axle about another mother buying a watch for her daughter on Valentine's Day.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:39 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
Mattie: there's no "harm" in giving candy and gifts to your kids on that day. I simply never heard of it before.
I recall as a child "they" invented a day, "Childrens' Day." My little friend said her mother was buying her a gift . My mother said, "are you kidding?? Everyday is children's day around here, Susan." So I guess I got that attitude from her.
I've learned something today! It is perfectly normal to give your children some sort of gift on Valentine's Day. I'll stay abnormal and hope for a card from my husband. I sure won't get flowers but I'd be thrilled if I did .
I give my kids some candy, or something small. My mom did the same for us sometimes. I think Valentine's day is stupid holiday. If I'm going to get flowers from my husband, I'd prefer it on any other day of the year, when they are cheaper and he's not feeling pressured because of the holiday.

Schools have been celebrating V's day for as long as I can remember. All the kids bring cards or treats for the whole class and the teacher. That's not romantic. In our house, all holidays are about the kids, really, so we get a heart shaped pizza and some pink cookies. It's just an excuse for a little fun.

As for the watch, it sounds like your daughter saw a good deal, and the holiday was an excuse to give it to her.

You sound very bitter.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:11 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
never heard of it

its a sweetheart gift day

and based on experience....dont buy your sweetheart a pressure washer,,,even if you put an attractive bow on it

Old 02-05-2017, 01:52 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I agree with most of your post, but it's really none of the OP's business what her daughter chooses to do for her own daughter.
It was her daughter's action that made her generalize about an entire generation of spoiled children. I don't see that it would be so out of line to say to her own daughter, "Oh, are you exchanging Valentine's Day gifts with the kids? Is that one of your family traditions?" or something like that, as long as she could manage not to infuse the question with her judge-y attitude about the very idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting