Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 09:26 AM

506 posts, read 650,870 times

Advertisements

My thirteen year old granddaughter has been dating a fourteen or fifteen year old boy for nine months. They have never kissed, she won't permit it, but they do hug, hold hands and say "I love you." They've never been alone anywhere=not even in a car.
The boy has three older brothers and it seems like a very fine family. They have strict parents, especially the father.
Last week my granddaughter, let's call her Holly, went out to eat with them. She told my daughter that, before they ate, the father prayed and asked God to bless the food. Then he said, "and thank you for sending Holly to my son."
What is your impression of the boy's father saying this and have you ever heard of such a thing? I can imagine they're in love with my granddaughter. I cannot find one flaw with her in any category!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 09:33 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
While it may have been meant well, I honestly thinks it puts undue pressure on young teens to imply that God himself "sent" her to him. What happens if one or the other tires of the relationship (or wants to end it for other reasons)? Will they fear they are going against God's will?

I find it concerning when parents are overly invested in their children's relationships.

Last edited by maciesmom; 02-05-2017 at 09:46 AM..

Old 02-05-2017, 09:51 AM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
OMG. She is thirteen. She hasn't been 'sent' to anyone. What are people thinking? I agree with poster Maciesmom that it is undue (and inappropriate IMHO) pressure...and kind of 'creepy'.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:52 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
While it may have been meant well,
I honestly thinks it puts undue pressure on young teens to imply that God himself "sent" her to him. What happens if one or the other tires of the relationship (or wants to end it for other reasons)?
Will they fear they are going against God's will?

I find it concerning when parents are overly invested in their children's relationships.
I agree with maciesmom. Frankly, I think that it far more creepy and inappropriate than sweet.

Now, if they were in their 20s and engaged to be married or actually married it would be significantly different (IMHO, still inappropriate, but less inappropriate) but said to young teens, "No way, Jose!!!"

Old 02-05-2017, 09:55 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
While it may have been meant well, I honestly thinks it puts undue pressure on young teens to imply that God himself "sent" her to him. What happens if one or the other tires of the relationship (or wants to end it for other reasons)? Will they fear they are going against God's will?

Me too. A 13 yr old isn't sent by God to make a boy happy.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:59 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
A 13 yr old shouldn't be dating anyone no less a 15 yr old. Which means she was probably 12, nine months ago...ugh.

The whole blessing thing is just weird too....shudder.

Last edited by LLCNYC; 02-05-2017 at 10:09 AM..

Old 02-05-2017, 10:06 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Me too. A 13 yr old isn't sent by God to make a boy happy.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:43 AM

I thought it was pretty odd, too.
I'm not sure if "dating" is the right word. Their parents take them both out to eat and my daughter takes them out to eat. My daughter will buy the boy a fried pecan pie on rare occasions also. They meet at basketball games and sit together during breaks while my daughter sits elsewhere
. But to go out alone together as on a real date? No.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:49 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
I thought it was pretty odd, too.
I'm not sure if "dating" is the right word. Their parents take them both out to eat and my daughter takes them out to eat. My daughter will buy the boy a fried pecan pie on rare occasions also. They meet at basketball games and sit together during breaks while my daughter sits elsewhere
. But to go out alone together as on a real date? No.
You described it as the "sweetest" and said they hold hands, hug and exchange "I love yous".

That's dating for that age group.

Unless you are a Duggar, in whiich case it's "courtship" and they've already crossed the line by handholding without an engagement. Not even bringing up the hugging part.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:53 AM

maciesmom ok; they're dating then.
I just found the ignore function! Fantastic.

Last edited by SusanG_O; 02-05-2017 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting