Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 06:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,981,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
You guys divorcing + moving are two really big losses for this boy. That might be especially true if the move was to a different school (let alone a different home or neighborhood) and his meet-ups with Dad are rare. So maybe those looses are just now hitting him for some reason and he is sad, perhaps even clinically depressed.

So yes, make an appointment with the therapist, counselor, or doctor you have, who hopefully, will suggest some way to help the boy cope- And because you mentioned ADHD, is he on some type of medication? That also might be contributing to how the boy is feeling, So I'd ask about that too. Sometimes ADHD meds can have the side effects of sleeplessness, loss of appetite, and mood disorders (depression).

Good luck.

Edit: where did I think I saw that you were divorced? My bad. But it does raise the question of where is the father. Is he in the picture at all, and if so how?
Yes. This is something you don't know how to deal with, and there could be something he is dealing with that is bothering him terribly. I am not sure the ADHD has anything to do with how he is acting. A clue is that he does not want to visit his grandparents. So, don't force him to do this.

I'd have his health checked by his doc, and I'd find a good, supportive therapist. Something is amiss. Find him help. This is your duty as his mother.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 06:12 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,051,534 times
could be a 100 things that trigger a kid that age into being somber or sad,,,,

i remember watching the news once and there was a house fire and a dog was burnt,,,,,i got so worried that was going to happen to us and our dog,,,i was out of sorts for 2 weeks

lots and lots of triggers..

here's what ive done with my son,,

id take him to an ice cream place,,let him pick out whatever he wants,, then i would find something that would remind me of being his age and how difficult it can be......
put him at ease,,,he needs to open up

ill share something around that same age
the 4th grade teacher wouldnt let a classmate go to the bathroom,,and she went right in her chair......
the whole class felt soooooo bad because at that age we are powerless cant even speak up,,,
anyways this girls parents came to pick her up the mother didnt say a word to the teacher but the father lit right into her in front of the class and we all clapped,,,the teacher ran off crying...she was one cold old lady ....

us kids needed that ,,,,, if we didnt have that outlet to cheer on the father .....our frustration would just bottle up inside us and we are too young to deal with stuff...

thats my guess your son is stressed about something and its bottled up.....he needs to release it

Old 02-19-2017, 07:46 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,004,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
could be a 100 things that trigger a kid that age into being somber or sad,,,,

i remember watching the news once and there was a house fire and a dog was burnt,,,,,i got so worried that was going to happen to us and our dog,,,i was out of sorts for 2 weeks

lots and lots of triggers..

here's what ive done with my son,,

id take him to an ice cream place,,let him pick out whatever he wants,, then i would find something that would remind me of being his age and how difficult it can be......
put him at ease,,,he needs to open up

ill share something around that same age
the 4th grade teacher wouldnt let a classmate go to the bathroom,,and she went right in her chair......
the whole class felt soooooo bad because at that age we are powerless cant even speak up,,,
anyways this girls parents came to pick her up the mother didnt say a word to the teacher but the father lit right into her in front of the class and we all clapped,,,the teacher ran off crying...she was one cold old lady ....

us kids needed that ,,,,, if we didnt have that outlet to cheer on the father .....our frustration would just bottle up inside us and we are too young to deal with stuff...

thats my guess your son is stressed about something and its bottled up.....he needs to release it
mainebrokerman is right. It could absolutely anything. Regarding not wanting to visit his grandparents, it could be simple as he overheard a conversation and misunderstood what they meant, to they served food that he did not like to eat to one of his grandparents said something to him as a joke and he took it seriously. Or it could be completely unrelated to them. Maybe the grandparent of one of his classmates died while she/he was visiting them and he is now worried that one of his grandparents may die is he visits them.

Try to figure it out so that you can help.

Old 02-19-2017, 12:09 PM

649 posts, read 810,737 times
I have an 8yo and he and all of his friends are much much much more interested in electronics the last 6mo. He will be sullen and withdrawn and refuse things he used to embrace because he thinks the more he stays home the more ipad he gets. He is wrong and we severely limit electronics but he is much more moody and less agreeable than he used to be. Everything is "boring", there's "nothing to do." On and on. He is neurotypical, I think its just developmental and ipaditis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting