Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2017, 07:50 PM

18,382 posts, read 19,008,619 times

Advertisements

Ouija boards are nothing but cardboard and plastic. they can not summon the dead, tell the future, nor influence your life in any way be it good or bad. people who think they have some kind of power are a bit delusional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2017, 12:15 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
I like to consider myself pretty atheist/agnostic but I would still never want my kids playing with one inside my house. I do believe in good and bad energy/karma and can't see anything good coming out of playing with one, even if it's just harmless cardboard and plastic. I would have probably handled the situation a bit different than your wife though. Anything with potential "dark" energy such as skeletons, pentagrams, oujia boards, or other various similar things are not allowed in my house.

If my kid wants to play with one as a teenager in someone else's house for a sleepover, I probably wouldn't be too upset, just don't bring it into my home.

Old 03-12-2017, 06:39 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Utter nonsense. Stop projecting.

My lack of belief in God is no different than my lack of belief in Zeus or Odin or leprechauns - it is born of a complete and total lack of evidence. If you think lacking an affirmative belief is faith, then you haven't the foggiest idea what constitutes faith.

And my lack of belief that a Ouija board is something 'bad' is no different that my lack of belief that dowsing works, or that alchemists exist and that they can transmute ordinary metals to precious ones, or that sacrificing a chicken can effect events. And that's certainly not faith.
Right, an agnostic. Got it.

No one is a 'Leprechaun Athiest'.

An agnostic says "show me proof, then I'll have faith".

An atheist says "I have faith that there is no proof, there can't be proof because it isn't real, your proof means nothing".

You know, like the people who have faith in the non-existence of actual events like the Holocaust or the Moon landings.

Old 03-12-2017, 07:27 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
If you don't have anything to offer this thread, why would you take the time to post and be snarky? You aren't funny and you weren't helpful to the OP.
Because nothing supernatural has EVER happened due to playing a board game, and pretending that it has is neither healthy or useful to the OP.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:32 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
This thread made my day. Funny stuff.

I had no idea people were actually afraid of or banned Ouiji Boards.

Old 03-15-2017, 08:24 PM

269 posts, read 246,815 times
My cousins and I all played with one of these boards when we were kids. It's a toy, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:04 PM

469 posts, read 398,350 times
Your wife seems a bit unhinged. She certainly overreacted and embarrassed her kid. It's a game. Really. Even if you heard that your cousin's third boyfriend's mother's neighbor has some creepy experience with one, doesn't make it true. I'm sure if these were so effective at contacting "the other side" it would have been proven long ago.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:28 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,644 times
I played ouija as a teenager and I advise against doing it. It's true that nothing good comes out of it.

To those who say it's just plastic and cardboard, that means it's not supposed to move. So what fun is it if you play with it and it doesn't do anything?

If it does move, how do you explain it? Are you going to believe that it is from a spirit? Are you going to believe that it is from the subconscious? Or are you going to believe that one of your friends lied and moved that thing?

I believed in the latter, and it actually diminished the friendship I had with the person who we thought moved it. I started distancing myself from him, thinking he was just a liar after playing the ouija with him. He seemed realistically spooked himself though, and actually burned the ouija board and other things he was interested in that time (tarot cards and other fortune telling stuff) the next day.

Regardless how people explain the ouija, I have yet to see anything good come out of it. In all those scenarios, the "best" scenario for it is actually not to move! I still know the friend who moved the ouija, and he does have a decent education, job and family. We are still friends, but not as close as we were before the ouija incident.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:03 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
This reminds me of a friend's husband who was trying to convince us that the magic at Disney World is real because you can play some kind of air chimes with Tinkerbell. A grown-ass adult.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:58 PM

560 posts, read 785,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
MERCY, what Myron could do with those busy fingers!!! If I was with a man like that, he'd have me jumpin' around and hollerin', like Luty Pearl at the Pentecostal Brush Arbor Meetin' (https://books.google.com/books?id=M6...0foote&f=false). As I see it, all the Czar might have over Myron Floren, is his smokin-hot and tickly MOUSTACHE (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...bd65500a0c.jpg). I'll ask Mrs. Stotesbury about that, next time she appears to me.

As for the mishap with the reptile infestation in your front yard, I think I see your problem, hon. I think things took a turn for the worse, when you tied the bag over the Ouija, WITH YOUR HEAD IN IT. Didn't you read the part, when I said, "...you don't want to go breathing the gases"? And to compound the problem, you added the Potpourri Refresher Oils to the Ouija Board Refresher Vapour Crystals. Somehow, the presence of your head in the bag, opened up a time warp wormhole, just as the Vapour Crystals and the Potpourri Refresher Oils were forming a hithertofore unseen synergy.

This uncharted synergistic effect was THRUST, simultaneously, into SEVERAL reptile-bearing eras, with the Wormhole left unclosed. I assume you used the Agraria Bitter Orange, which reportedly exerts a disquieting effect upon your larger reptiles.

And did you also use the Lavender & Rosemary? That blend is thought to inflame the passions of many cryptids. So, it's no wonder they leapt through the wormhole, and started a battle-royal, right there on top of your prize-winning Frangipani bushes.

Honey, the Potpourri Refresher Oils are for your Potpourri. And the Ouija Refresher Vapour Crystals are for your Ouija Board. And your head is supposed to stay out of the bag. I think it's the combination of all three, that's the root of your problem.

Oh, and you might want to check to be sure those things didn't lay any eggs...
Mercifully, I was able to harness the spirit of my dear extraterrestrial friend, Dudley Manlove, to determine what course of action to take. https://youtu.be/gK4olkFGJrw

Together, we were able to invert the organisms back to the fifth dimension using the four-dimensional spacetime metric system.

Only one problem remains! I failed to notice an egg buried deep beneath what is left of my beloved Frangipani bushes, and sometime during the night the thing hatched. Now I must find a responsible person to provide a good home for this adorable baby reptile. I named him Bubbles. https://youtu.be/UGv7gMxDna8

Last edited by Seadory; 03-22-2017 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting