Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2017, 03:00 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,812,975 times

Advertisements

Some members of our species are finding cures for cancer, building robotic space probes, and making ever-faster/ever-smaller/ever-more-efficient microchips.

Meanwhile, others are worried that a board with letters and numbers might be a portal for 'demons' and other make-believe ghoulies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 03:28 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
I remember going through a phase where I had a deep interest in anything "supernatural" - superstitions, astrology, tarot cards, ESP, ouija boards...all that stuff. It was quickly replaced by hard science, proving all that stuff was crap!

I don't think it's unusual - it's mysterious, fun, and a little spooky but will likely get old and interests will turn to something else. Don't make a big deal out of it...prod them a little on how they think it works and maybe try to poke some holes into what they are thinking.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:35 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I remember going through a phase where I had a deep interest in anything "supernatural" - superstitions, astrology, tarot cards, ESP, ouija boards...all that stuff. It was quickly replaced by hard science, proving all that stuff was crap!

I don't think it's unusual - it's mysterious, fun, and a little spooky but will likely get old and interests will turn to something else. Don't make a big deal out of it...prod them a little on how they think it works and maybe try to poke some holes into what they are thinking.
Same here. I had a Ouija board and a ceramic skull with a red candle in it (it looked cool in the mid-60's, lol). I also started reading Lovecraft and other fantasy, horror, and science fiction authors at age 13, which led to a lifelong love of horror and fantasy fiction. However, it certainly didn't turn me into a Satan worshipper or an ax murderer. In fact, I became the editor of my college literary magazine and a charter member of the Baltimore Science Fiction Society, both of which were great fun. Cripes, parents need to lighten up and let their kids exercise their imagination and their common sense - it's a great way to learn!

Old 03-04-2017, 04:30 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,604 times
I'm so glad they still exist! so many fun, harmless times when we were kids. We really freaked ourselves out - ha ha

Old 03-04-2017, 04:46 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,369,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
My kids would be in big trouble with me if I ever found out they played with one of those.I am a Christian.
I'm a follower of Jesus, and yes I did play with one years ago.

If the Lord decides to permit me to communicate with the deceased He'll let me know. Plus, He'll do it without the need for a piece of cardboard and a plastic triangle.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:32 PM

129 posts, read 110,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I'm curious about the fact that those who believe playing with a Ouija board can summon spirits always mention "evil" spirits. Don't these people or their kids know anyone who has passed on who was nice?

I think the theory among the religious folk is that none of the spiritual entities are actually departed human souls. All good dead go to heaven, and all the evil souls go to Purgatory and/or Hell. So really, the only spirits left to get in touch with humans are demons who impersonate the dead, but were never actually human in the first place. They have some knowledge of the future but only reveal bits and pieces in order to lure us in and... I don't know.

It's not exactly my spiritual philosophy, but I think that's the general idea.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:39 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times
Umm, no. They're wooden boards, mass-produced in some factory to be sold at Walmart, Target, etc. just like Connect 4 or Clue or any other game my kid would play.

I'm alarmed at the number of people who said yes.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:15 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,977,890 times
Ouija boards are toys. You buy them in toy stores. Does that give you a clue how I feel about them?

We played with them when we were kids, and I made the pointer move every time. My younger sister thought it was the spirits talking to her, and she believed everything it told her, but it was me, it was always me.

It's always one of the other kids moving the pointer, knowing some other kid will believe them. That's the fun of the board game, tricking the suckers.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:50 PM

461 posts, read 509,103 times
My friends and I "played" with one back when we were teens. Some scary stuff happened with it. Mainly some questions were answered that no one could have known the answer to. The scoffer that wasn't near the board asked the question. Also a scary prediction that came true. Was it real? It felt ominous and real at the time. Could have been our imaginations, however the questions and prediction were unexplainable.

Old 03-04-2017, 07:58 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
I wouldn't let 15 yo's do it in my house because I feel their parents might not approve, It is controversial issue and I wouldn't want to offend them. But I realize kids in that age group are attracted to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting