Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 07:02 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I understand about wanting a career direction for your child. But you have to see if law (and politics) interests him in the first place.

Does he like lawyer shows? Do courtrooms fascinate him? Does he like to read books about court cases or any other type of law? Is he a great debater? Does he like to make you see his point while never backing down?

Other people already said it, but the point is that you have to pay attention to what he likes naturally and steer him towards that, not what you want him to be.
Most lawyers rarely, if ever, see the inside of a courtroom. Less than 1% of cases ever even make it to trial. Lawyers spend most of their time in an office setting, researching, reviewing pleadings, drafting briefs, etc. It is very tedious work that most people would find mind-numbingly boring.

TV and John Grisham books are not accurate portrayals of working as a lawyer by any means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 09:08 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Teach him to lie and be skeevy. Never tell the truth. Stab people in the back. That will give him a head start.

BTW, could you have picked any two worse professions? Pray god your kid grows up to be something, not a politician or a lawyer. Step it up to used car salesman or real estate agent.

Wow, you beat me to it. I worked for lawyers for ten years. Add to that, join a country club and make him learn to play golf. Encourage him how to do as little work as possible and "delegate" it to underpaid office staff. Teach him "lawyer math"...that is how to exaggerate the time on the work he hasn't really done when he bills his clients. He'll need to have several sleazy affairs that his wife finds out about and divorces him. Don't forget some instruction on how to be stuck up, selfish, self centered, conceited, and arrogant.

I don't think OP really wants to raise a happy, successful, well adjusted son...she wants to be the mother of another Bill Clinton.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 03-20-2017 at 09:17 AM..

Old 03-20-2017, 12:10 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
We have too many lawyers already, I think it would be a mistake to force a kid to be a lawyer if he/she doesn't aspire to be one. Legal work is pretty competitive now as most law firms have outsourced legal work to contract based lawyers. So if you don't have a law degree from an Ivy League school you can forget about getting into a top law firm.

You'll be driving Uber until a gig comes around that pays you only a few hundred an hour for a few weeks on case by case basis. Don't forget a law degree and passing bar exam will saddle you with over 1/2 a million dollars in debt.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:47 PM

2,819 posts, read 2,584,478 times
I'd also say don't do it. He'll go the opposite direction or wind up 200k in debt working a 50k/year job. Also the money isn't there unless you're in a top firm...most lawyers I know make 60-80k which is good but not worth the amount of debt they accrued to get there.

Old 03-21-2017, 03:02 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,113 times
Donald trump junior is that you?

Old 03-25-2017, 11:17 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
There is nothing wrong with telling him that, if possible, you would love him to be a lawyer. You must respect his choices, but most kids have no clue, so that's as good a goal as anything.
Really, it depends on whether or not he has the type of mind that can read, and retain large amounts of information. If he's not wired that way, all the pushing in the world won't do any good.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:02 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,329,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
My son is 10 years old now. I aspire for him to be a lawyer. Actually he being a lawyer is not my goal; I want him to go into politics, and I think a career in law is the path to politics.

I know some like to just "let the kids be what they want to be". But my personal experience is I wish I have had more guidance and structure when I was young. I now want to provide that to my son.

So I hope to know how to groom a kid to become a lawyer. I would like to know what classes should he be focusing on? What are some of the good extra-curricular activities in alignment with this goal? What should he major in college? Any advice is appreciated.
This can't be serious? How about you let your son be what HE wants to be? How about you groom him to be happy?? This makes me so sad for your son.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:52 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
My son is 10 years old now. I aspire for him to be a lawyer. Actually he being a lawyer is not my goal; I want him to go into politics, and I think a career in law is the path to politics.

I know some like to just "let the kids be what they want to be". But my personal experience is I wish I have had more guidance and structure when I was young. I now want to provide that to my son.

So I hope to know how to groom a kid to become a lawyer. I would like to know what classes should he be focusing on? What are some of the good extra-curricular activities in alignment with this goal? What should he major in college? Any advice is appreciated.
Boy, that scientist guy, what's his name, wouldn't like your view of politics.

That said, realize that there are many, many aspects of law.

Dad was a lawyer. He did bankruptcy, that kind of thing. He didn't want to do criminal law since he thought most of them should be in jail, anyhow.

Here in Texas, water law is a big thing.

There's always maritime law.

My brother does divorces.

Etc, etc, etc..

While not a lawyer, my interests, my focus in my law enforcement work has been computers, antiquities, family, and natural resources.

If you really want to drive your children's future (as others have said, DON'T), then use a discipline that gets a lot of legal attention. Let them learn up on that, become experienced in that and then, if they decide to become a lawyer, they can be one that knows a lot of that area.

IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting