Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2017, 12:50 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,358,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
If mom is a mentally healthy, loving, caring mom who has a good support network (ie. enough income to not have to worry about money too much and a stable home life) then yes, I think that it's ideal for baby to be with mom.
I think this is fair with the understanding that much of that is subjective.

For some, it would be ok to be on government assistance, or to forego health care or retirement savings. That would make me a nervous wreck. I'm not saying one is better but instead, what what makes one person stressed is not a stressor for everyone.

It's one thing to say something is ideal, but life rarely provides ideal situations. So people and families make whatever compromises they feel are best for their own particular situation.

Last edited by maciesmom; 04-05-2017 at 01:09 PM..

Old 04-05-2017, 01:09 PM

26,646 posts, read 13,613,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think this is fair with the understanding that much of that is subjective.

For some, it would be ok to be on government assistance, or to forego health care or retirement savings. That would make me a nervous wreck. I'm not saying one is better but that what makes one person stressed is not a stressor for everyone.
I agree about the stress factor. That's pretty much what I meant when I said that if mom doesn't have to worry about money. That line is going to be different for everyone. What would cause one person a lot of financial stress, would not necessarily impact another person in the same way. It's definitely subjective.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I agree about the stress factor. That's pretty much what I meant when I said that if mom doesn't have to worry about money. That line is going to be different for everyone.
Which is why newtovenice isn't going to get an answer to the specific question she demands. The answer is "it depends".

And money is just one thing that causes stress. Some people are awesome with infants and less so with older children; for some the reverse is true. *shrugs*

Old 04-05-2017, 01:38 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,623,838 times
Quote:
If mom is a mentally healthy, loving, caring mom who has a good support network (ie. enough income to not have to worry about money too much and a stable home life) then yes, I think that it's ideal for baby to be with mom.
I agree with this, but I'd substitute "parent" for mom.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Which is why newtovenice isn't going to get an answer to the specific question she demands. The answer is "it depends".

And money is just one thing that causes stress. Some people are awesome with infants and less so with older children; for some the reverse is true. *shrugs*
I agree. There are way too many variables to answer such a question. It really does depend on individual circumstances.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Yes.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:08 PM

554 posts, read 674,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
So you fully believe that mom is NOT better than daycare?

Why have kids in the first place? You're not a parent then, you have a hobby that is "playing parent" if you truly TRULY believe that moms are not better than daycare.

Which is pretty much what people on here keep supporting, over and over.

Not ONCE has anyone said: Babies need their moms. In fact, there have been arguments AGAINST moms taking care of their own babies.

Don't you all realize how distorted your viewpoint is? Actively arguing that babies are BETTER OFF without their moms?

Do you even realize that you are doing that?
Lol, do you even realize what YOU are doing? You actually quoted my post in the above reply. See below for someone who said BABIES NEED THEIR MOMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212

Of course babies need their moms - but they have many other needs as well. How can one need trump all the rest combined?
Clearly no one is persuading you of anything here - perhaps we should stop trying. Your illogical arguments have become so distorted that you can't even recognize your own hypocrisy (i.e. not responding to direct questions and then berating others for the "same" behavior when they've actually answered) - and have failed to see things that are blatantly stated in threads you quote.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I'm sticking to mom being the ideal caretaker in that particular scenario due to the fact that mom has a different kind of bond with her baby then dad does and she's biologically programed to care for her infant in ways that dad is not. That's not to say that dad wouldn't be the next best thing if we're talking in ideals. Or grandma or another loving, responsive caregiver.

We don't have to agree on that but I am clarifying why I would still say mom over parent in that scenario.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:38 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,623,838 times
Quote:
I'm sticking to mom being the ideal caretaker in that particular scenario due to the fact that mom has a different kind of bond with her baby then dad does and she's biologically programed to care for her infant in ways that dad is not. That's not to say that dad wouldn't be the next best thing if we're talking in ideals. Or grandma or another loving, responsive caregiver.

We don't have to agree on that but I am clarifying why I would still say mom over parent in that scenario.
Fair enough. I won't argue, but I do disagree.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:42 PM

1,640 posts, read 788,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And I bet if you asked him who he believes would take better care of his kids, he would say mom, not daycare. The fact that he has no choice is a different matter. The ideas are not tied together.

For instance, you can say, "I fully believe that infants need their moms, but unfortunately, my wife has died and I need a caretaker for my kids."

See? Admit that mom is better but still using daycare. Ideas are not inclusive.
I know some incredible fathers. Dads that claim " mommy hormones" or mommy does it better are just lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.