U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2017, 06:46 AM

1,475 posts, read 451,356 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm wondering if any of you have experience with this. During the last seven days we've had a roller coaster of illness in our house. My four-year-old all of a sudden had a fever spike 6-7 days ago. It went as high as 105.7. I'm not sure if there is increased variability with the head thermometers at the high-end, but it was pretty alarming. This lasted until Friday night. We had her in to the pediatrician and she was tested for strep, UTI, flu virus, checked out for appendicitis, potential meningitis. Then on Saturday the fever broke and she broke out in a rash and following googling it look like roseola to me and the pedi confirmed.

Based on what I've read kids get irritability following this virus. My daughter has been acting really irrational. She cannot be pleased, is beyond demanding, and has been abusive to her sister and me and my husband. I'm trying to be understanding and keeping in mind that it's a consequence of being sick, but my husband took her and her sister to visit their cousins yesterday since they were locked up in the house all week and she behaved perfectly. They had a great time. Then she comes home and melts down. I worry that we are making allowances for poor behavior. She has not had a time in yet and I've let her know why. I'm hoping today will be better. how did you handle this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 02:23 AM

8,832 posts, read 10,283,847 times
It probably is a consequence of being sick. A virus really wears a person, especially a child, down. Kids, even when they don't feel well, will behave better around other people and she probably had a lot of fun getting out of the house. Poor kid is probably exhausted. Give her some more healing time before worrying.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:43 AM

1,475 posts, read 451,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
It probably is a consequence of being sick. A virus really wears a person, especially a child, down. Kids, even when they don't feel well, will behave better around other people and she probably had a lot of fun getting out of the house. Poor kid is probably exhausted. Give her some more healing time before worrying.
That's very sweet and I hope you are right! I don't like to be punitive as a rule or argue with her. Hopefully we can guide her through it in a positive way.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:41 AM

10,090 posts, read 6,461,484 times
Most people can hold it together better out of the home and then fall apart when it is safe to do so. So bad behavior at home doesn't mean there is bad parenting at home. Its just a safe place to decompensate.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:45 AM

5,281 posts, read 4,538,802 times
Give her LOTS of love and couch time...if she starts to get cranky again, turn on the TV and tiptoe away BEFORE she gets out of hand.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:52 AM

8,832 posts, read 10,283,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Most people can hold it together better out of the home and then fall apart when it is safe to do so. So bad behavior at home doesn't mean there is bad parenting at home. Its just a safe place to decompensate.
Exactly. A reason why sick or not, little kids will show wonderful behavior at day care or preschool, and then have a complete melt down when they get home. They feel safe at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or