U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 06:14 PM

5,329 posts, read 7,207,011 times

Advertisements

Is there a bully involved? Maybe one your daughter hasn't told you about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 09:13 PM

817 posts, read 422,668 times
What time does your daughter's school day start? When does it end?

Is she in daycare before or after school?

You mentioned she gets up at 6AM which seems quite early to me as elementary school usually starts later. Even though she is sleeping enough hours at night, getting up that early can be draining on some children that age. I know my daughter would have wilted but children are different.

AR tests were supposed to be for supplemental use only. It is a simple regurgitation of facts and no higher level thought process is involved. If that school is using AR tests for basic curriculum, they are 15 years behind the times and really shortchanging higher level comprehension skills. I taught in an excellent school and AR was strictly for a side activity.

Old 04-04-2017, 05:45 PM

196 posts, read 84,721 times
Unfortunately, Accelerated Reader tests are the bulk of the reading curriculum at many public and private schools. The whole point of the software is "To determine if a child has read a book or not", not to be the lion's share of the lit curriculum

Old 04-05-2017, 05:59 AM

4 posts, read 1,230 times
Thank you for all of the replies... they are very good and give me some new things to consider.

Based on the replies received so far:

1) I don't believe there is a bully involved. My daughter will mention when kids aren't nice... kids are fickle so one minute someone is her friend, then the next minute they don't want to play with her, but I don't get the impression that is 'the' problem.

2) Though she gets up early, she gets a decent amount of rest. School doors open at 7:35am ET and there is no public school bus to take her (Catholic School), so she is driven. It is far enough away that her dad needs to leave the house by 6:50am ET to beat the traffic. This gives her about 20-25 minutes of waiting in the car with her dad on cold days or getting out early and running around in early fall or spring.

3) I am not sure about a learning disability. What I notice the most is my child's lack of focus on school work unless her dad and I are standing right over her and constantly reminding her to focus. I believe that the level of work and the pace at which she is doing it is more the problem... again, though, that is my opinon. I am not a professional educator or doctor.

4) It constantly comes back to two things for her: Her teacher and timed tests (especially math). She does not like her teacher and says she is afraid of her and that she is mean.

We have set up a mini teacher conference, but the first time it needed to be cancelled because the teacher was ill... the next time, ironically, it had to be cancelled because my child was ill (no one else to watch her and both her dad and I want to meet the teacher together). I am hoping to set up a new conference within the next 2 weeks.

I believe that she is being pushed too hard too quickly at this particular school, but am trying to be simultaneously supportive/firm to get her through the next 2 months. I am not a happy person about all of this, but am trying to take it in stride and help my daughter do the same (easier said than done when your child is anxious about something). When discussing school issues with her, I let her know that she is clearly intelligent (she is), that it is ok not to like the teacher (but you still have to do your work to the best of your ability), and that she will get through it and move on. I'm sure she is picking up on my displeasure, though I am trying to control it as much as possible.

In reflection, I'm sad that 1st grade has been a rough year for her. I never expected this for such a young age/grade. Trying the local public school is still on the table for 2nd grade, though right now she is signed up for 2nd grade at her current Catholic School. I am also giving thought to homeschooling, though that is a distant thought (lol). I feel like I am paying someone to torture versus educate my child. Sorry for the harsh view, but that is how I see it at this point.

Thank you again for the suggestions. I am discussing all of them with her dad and one way or another, we will figure out the best path for her!

Old 04-05-2017, 07:40 AM

23,168 posts, read 56,833,610 times
Significantly pushing kids in elementary school is a way to mess them up and make them hate school. Generally you do not need to push them. Express your happiness at good performance and they wills trive for it on their own. However it does nto matter. Those "gifted" "genius" "look at what my daughter can do at age 8" kids are nearly always average or even below by the end of high school. Or they may be near the top of their class and miserable because the kids who had fun in life have caught up to them.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:51 AM

4 posts, read 1,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Significantly pushing kids in elementary school is a way to mess them up and make them hate school. Generally you do not need to push them. Express your happiness at good performance and they wills trive for it on their own. However it does nto matter. Those "gifted" "genius" "look at what my daughter can do at age 8" kids are nearly always average or even below by the end of high school. Or they may be near the top of their class and miserable because the kids who had fun in life have caught up to them.
You know what, Coldjensens... that is exactly what my concern is. She's not a totally miserable kid (yet), but my fear is that is coming if I keep her in this school. Again, by 2nd grade everything may even out... then again, what would be gained by forcing her through this 'type' of environment where she spends most of her waking hours (just like a job)? I fear that both she and I will turn around when she is an adult and say, "we should not have pushed so hard."

The more I read and consider my intuition, the more I am leaning towards doing something different.

Well, I have to at least get her through the next 2 months. I'm worried enough about that.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:28 AM

23,168 posts, read 56,833,610 times
OUR older girls were in a hyper competitive elementary school for a while. They came home in tears regularly. Hated school. We pulled them out and found another school. They graduated 9th and 22nd from highly regarded high school. I do not think it hurt them at all to be removed from the unpleasant hypercompetitve GATE school. Interestingly, both went/are going into teaching. One at Elementary school and one at college.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:04 AM

4,832 posts, read 2,772,992 times
Your #4 stands out as a major problem to me. This could be stressing her so much that she can't focus. Have you discussed this with the teacher or principle?

Old 04-05-2017, 09:34 AM

817 posts, read 422,668 times
OP, I really sympathize with you. My daughter went through a similar stressful year in an upper elementary grade but I understand it is particularly difficult for a 7 year old child (and you).

How much homework does she have each night? "Best practices" in education now promote minimal homework at this grade level. Does your child focus and concentrate well on other activities at home or is homework the exception?

A teacher conference is very important to gather all the information you can about the situation. If you write down your particular concerns and questions, it will help you stay on topic and focused while hopefully receiving some helpful feedback. I know many people can get flustered at a conference and bringing notes can help.

Finally, I don't know what the policies are at your school but in some cases you can ask the principal to place your child in a specific type of learning environment. You probably cannot name a specific teacher for second grade, but if you feel your child would perform better in a nurturing and less rigid classroom perhaps that could be accommodated.

Best of luck with the conference and I hope you let us know how it goes.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:05 PM

281 posts, read 115,021 times
I'd also suggest trying to find out why your daughter is afraid of the teacher and why she thinks she's mean. Not in an attempt to explain away her feelings, but to get a sense of what is triggering her to feel this way. Maybe the teacher really isn't that nice or maybe the teacher is strict (but not really mean) which causes anxiety for your daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or