Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 08:08 AM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,413,481 times

Advertisements

Do you miss the little kids your kids used to be? Of course, I know there comes a time when childhood is over but I'm finding myself really missing the little boys I used to have. I find myself even mourning those little boys in a way. I feel like I have to get to know my kids as new people now that they're young adults. When I look at photos and videos of them as little boys, I feel sad that those kids are gone. One of my sons in particular was so adorable when he was little; his face resembled that of a porcelain doll. He's grown into a handsome young man but oh, how I still miss that little doll face. I guess it doesn't help that I lost both of my parents in recent years. I just really miss the way things used to be. So much that I used to know is gone. The days of my sons being amused by legos and matchbox cars have given way to girls and driving. I know it's normal but still... I don't mean to whine. I still love my sons and always will. It's just that this growing up thing is hard. As crazy as it probably sounds, I wouldn't mind rewinding the clock and starting all over with them again as babies... I'd love to know if any other parents feel the same pangs for the past. I didn't expect to feel this way! I wish my parents were still alive. I'd love to know if they were sad to see me grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 02:31 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Do you miss the little kids your kids used to be? Of course, I know there comes a time when childhood is over but I'm finding myself really missing the little boys I used to have. I find myself even mourning those little boys in a way. I feel like I have to get to know my kids as new people now that they're young adults. When I look at photos and videos of them as little boys, I feel sad that those kids are gone. One of my sons in particular was so adorable when he was little; his face resembled that of a porcelain doll. He's grown into a handsome young man but oh, how I still miss that little doll face. I guess it doesn't help that I lost both of my parents in recent years. I just really miss the way things used to be. So much that I used to know is gone. The days of my sons being amused by legos and matchbox cars have given way to girls and driving. I know it's normal but still... I don't mean to whine. I still love my sons and always will. It's just that this growing up thing is hard. As crazy as it probably sounds, I wouldn't mind rewinding the clock and starting all over with them again as babies... I'd love to know if any other parents feel the same pangs for the past. I didn't expect to feel this way! I wish my parents were still alive. I'd love to know if they were sad to see me grow up.
I feel the exact same way. I love my 18-year-old to death, but I miss that toddler and elementary school girl like crazy. I yearn for the days when she would crawl up into my lap with a book and when we would dance around the living room together.

She's turning into a lovely, responsible young woman and I'm hopeful that we'll be good friends someday, but I too, would turn back the clock and do it all over again if I had the opportunity.

Old 03-30-2017, 03:52 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
The hardest for me was when they had actually all left our house permanently. Once you get a new life started for yourself that is independent from your kids it gets easier. The worst for everyone is the parent who doesn't move on. My boys are married adults now and they are very interested and encouraging in the things I do and visa versa. Now we have our first grandson, so it's all gone full circle. Best wishes on your journey!

Old 03-31-2017, 11:02 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
It is perfectly fine to miss your small children, and hope your vent here was helpful, but if you cling to that feeling or strongly mourn the loss of a just a phase of their life, you risk alienating them and missing out on so much more.

I have a stepmom who felt the same way you do, and everyone was rather aware of how much she missed her "babies", and for my brother and one of my sisters this really almost pushed them away from her. My sister expressed to me multiple times that she felt like her mom didn't really like WHO she was now that she wasn't a small, cute baby. That she felt like she was only loved as her mother's baby, not as the person she is. It made her sad.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:52 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
Loved the babies, loved the toddlers, loved the children, loved the teenagers, and love the adults that my kids have been. Each age had something special.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:14 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
I have 3 teenagers and the oldest is 16. I find myself thinking a lot more lately about the toddler he was long ago I am nostalgic for that time. I don't think I'm mourning the loss, exactly, but just very nostalgic. It might be because he's only got a year left of school after this one before he leaves home.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:08 PM

1,081 posts, read 548,908 times
Don't watch Ed Sheeran's "Photograph" video if you have young adult males. I miss my "boys". However, it's their time to be free and discover the world.

That video though... ugh... that will get you nostalgic.

Old 04-01-2017, 06:19 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Like above, I've loved watching my children at every age. It was just as amazing to me to see them both become independent, young adults--going off to college, moving into first apartments, getting their first adult jobs, falling in love, one moving across the country, as it was watching them learn to walk, talk, read, etc. I look back fondly at their younger years, but I never wish to go back to those days.

Currently I'm cleaning out closets and finding a lot of "stuff" from their younger years. Seeing it brings back great memories, but I look forward to the future.

I love the times when they are "home," and we are together as a family. I find that I miss their physical presence, but I wouldn't want them living here again. Sometimes I just want to be able to hug them and see them. The hardest adjustment was when one of them moved across the country. The mother part of me worries that I would not be able to reach him quickly enough should he need me. Even after almost 2 years and visits from us to him and him to us, I am still adjusting to that. Although I'm proud of him for taking such a big step and happy for him to experience life in a different part of the country, I suspect I will always wish he lived closer than an airplane ride away.

I relish the memories we make with them now.

I think one reason I'm able to focus on today and on the future is that I started some new things in my life when they were in their late teens/early 20's. My husband and I also adjusted together in becoming empty-nesters and began to focus on "us" more.

It's very satisfying knowing that my husband and I raised two kids that seem to be doing well in their lives. We don't give ourselves too much credit though. I'm sure some of it was just luck.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:07 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
I'm totally enjoying the young women my girls have grown up to be. They are terrific people. Even when my oldest left for college, It wasn't as hard as I thought, I can call or text or email any time and still feel in touch and involved to some degree. But it did really make me miss those babies. I would love to have some snuggle time in a rocking chair with my nose in their hair, kissing their sweet baby necks. Nothing like it.

Old 04-03-2017, 07:55 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
OK, I'm going to point something out. (Don't you hate it when people say that?) I agree with the premise of this thread, both that I miss my little ones, and love the young women they are. But look at how much crap this board gave a poster on a different thread for saying similar.
Rules for adult children living at home regarding boyfriends/girlfriends
Granted, it's mostly different posters on the two threads, but so many people failed to pick up on that sentiment in the OP's first post and just pounded her for saying: "What happened to the little girl I was once so close to?!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting