Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 07:59 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times

Advertisements

Report now, don't delay.

I was not a mandated reporter, but yet I have reported more than a few times. One was a relative because her parents just didn't have the strength to take the child from her. She wasn't abusive, just neglectful - unable to provide basic care - as in changing an infant's diaper only once or twice in a day!

The child was removed and placed with the grandparents - and that gave the grandparents enough backing that they were able to deal with their daughter.

Please report ASAP for the child's sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 08:27 AM

245 posts, read 197,521 times
I made the call.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:42 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I have reported anonymously when a pregnant woman I know was buying & using drugs and neglecting her other kids. In this rare case it actually worked as she was forced to take drug tests, complete parenting classes and her kids were with their grandparents who were a good influence. I saw her recently and she is not using illegal drugs and she should have her kids back soon.

OP - if you know a child is being abused or neglected WHY WOULDN'T YOU make a call to CPS? What if YOU were that child?

Old 03-31-2017, 09:40 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky91 View Post
I made the call.
You made a good choice. The child is lucky someone is looking out for her.

Old 03-31-2017, 04:47 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
Quote:
I made the call.
You did what needed to be done, don't ever doubt it.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:50 PM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,489 times
Quote:
I made the call.
I applaud you for doing the right thing.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:16 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,111,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
I applaud you for doing the right thing.
Same here.

I know it wasn't easy. But you did the right thing.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:41 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
Glad you called. I hope something gets done.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:05 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
I made the call.
Good for you!

Now, what may be frustrating is that you will have no idea of what is happening or the timeline involved.

In my area, CPS will triage the situation. In a true emergency the police are called and the child may be removed within minutes of the first call and probably the adult will be immediately arrested and taken to jail for child abuse. Now, in critical, but not real emergency situations, CPS makes a visit within a specific time period, perhaps 24 or 48 hours of the call. In more routine situations, perhaps where more neglect is involved rather than suspected physical abuse there is another timeline for the first visit, perhaps 72 hours or even a week.

And after you report you will not receive any feedback. There may be many things going on behind the scenes, such as additional evaluations, spot visits, requirements for parenting classes, etc. that you may never learn about. If it is a "questionable situation" (ie. not real clear cut) there may be weeks of additional assessment.

Old 04-01-2017, 03:23 PM

245 posts, read 197,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Good for you!

Now, what may be frustrating is that you will have no idea of what is happening or the timeline involved.

In my area, CPS will triage the situation. In a true emergency the police are called and the child may be removed within minutes of the first call and probably the adult will be immediately arrested and taken to jail for child abuse. Now, in critical, but not real emergency situations, CPS makes a visit within a specific time period, perhaps 24 or 48 hours of the call. In more routine situations, perhaps where more neglect is involved rather than suspected physical abuse there is another timeline for the first visit, perhaps 72 hours or even a week.

And after you report you will not receive any feedback. There may be many things going on behind the scenes, such as additional evaluations, spot visits, requirements for parenting classes, etc. that you may never learn about. If it is a "questionable situation" (ie. not real clear cut) there may be weeks of additional assessment.
They called me 7 times yesterday for more information. They were having difficulty finding the mom. Moms rights were terminated and I don't have the fathers full name or address. So they were trying to connect the too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting