U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2007, 12:32 PM

395 posts, read 1,318,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmom View Post
Well I have heard that Florida's DSS is one of the worst run in the country, you seem to be evidence of that for sure. As for the school not contacting you first, that is just wrong. Are you sure you don't have any recourse for that? Even in the hospital we refer to the in-hospital social worker before geting DSS involved...the schools here call a meeting with the parents before reporting. I assumed it would be the same in all states, but I guess not. I'm still a strong believer though in reporting if you think something bad is going on, I just think too many children fall through the cracks because no one takes that step.

As for the liability with being a nurse, as long as you practice within the states definition of the licensed scope of nursing and within the hospitals policy and procedures..you are covered by the hospital. You don't have any liablility, as long as you work for a hospital...I don't know if this is true of working for a private practitioner or not. So basically as long as you don't practice outside your field or break with hospital protocol you are fine. Go get your degree, you'll make more and if you've been an assisstant for a while you will probably breeze through the course work.
Well now everything is on hold until after the hubby gets his disability hearing. If he gets approved he and I will use his back pay to relocate out of Florida, most likely to Oklahoma where we can actually afford a four bedroom house. After that we will see about college, but I really want to just stay home and take care of him and our youngest daughter for a while and when I go back to school it will be only part time. . Also, I want to continue to home school my autistic child,so I have decided that I really do not need the stress of going back to school now.I also do not have the support that I would need to go to college since my husband cannot work or do anything around the house with immense pain and if I let too much go we might get reported to CPS again.

Since I am really getting burned out from the combination of my job plus having to take care of my hubby and daughter during the week I would really like to just get out of nursing altogether now and do something like occupational therapy assisting or physical therapy assisting if I can find a part time program. They make pretty good money even without a masters degree.

As for any recourse, well since it has been two years we just do not want to stir up any more trouble and our daughter is now in middle school anyway.We just want to live our lives and let it drop since neither my husband or I need the added stress.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 01:05 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,104,573 times
My husband and I always say that if CPS can be that nasty to us they can be that way to anyone.

OMG I am so sorry to hear this, I have heard that they can ruin lives and that some will go on witch hunts too. Esp some Doctors, they are well know to pony up with some school officals and cause problems and ruin lives all on assumptions, seen it happen too.

I feel so bad for you and everyone else who ever had this expereince. I know that while we had homeschooled for awhile, we were often looked at oddly all because we were not part of the public school system and were not cookie cutter parents.

Sad, but that is the way the world is going here, harassment will soon become the norm, watch for it get much much worse too. I know if this had ever happened to me, I would be absolutely devasted...my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:47 PM

Thanks, I always thank God every day that our kids were never removed from our custody and every day we wonder if CPS will be back for some other imagined thing.

The shame is that there are CPS workers out there who are truly in it because they DO care about the families and the children, and they have a HARD job.I sure would not want to be an investigator who closes a case unfounded only to have the kids turn up dead later.There are kids out there who are really being tortured by bio parents and foster parents too and it is a crying shame that a lot of times nothing gets done about them, but CPS will be quick to remove kids from parents for things like not having food or clothing or medical care.Or if the home is cluttered. Now if the parents have the ability to afford these things and are just not doing it then that is different than if they "fall between the cracks" for social service programs like food stamps ,day care assistance or medical.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:43 AM

I think your right Floridamom, that most do care and that is why they are in that profession, but some are into this for other reasons of their own here and they are destroying families and letting the ones who should have their children go, alone...makes me wonder why these things go on too. So many children could of been spared a life of hell and torment, but for reasons undisclosed, they were allowed to continue and eventually murder their children...I do think more accountablity should be on the heads of investigators...murder is something preventable, childabuse is a topic near and dear to my heart for many reasons...it tears me up inside that we can't do better in such a great nation such as ours, why can't we? No excuses here.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:32 PM

Also a good warning here..be very careful what you reveal bout your medical history, esp if you had depression or panic attacks and etc to your Drs...and your childrens for that matter, they can use it against you, and go after you with a witch hunt, had this happen to a good friend of mine, she almost lost her children, got accused of things that did not happen all because she was depressed after losing her husband in a car accident, they then turned everything against her and made her out to be a villian, all because they had info on her that she willingly gave them thinking it was the right thing to do, its not. The AMA is not be trusted, sorry they aren't.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:04 AM

Also a good warning here..be very careful what you reveal bout your medical history, esp if you had depression or panic attacks and etc to your Drs...and your childrens for that matter, they can use it against you, and go after you with a witch hunt, had this happen to a good friend of mine, she almost lost her children, got accused of things that did not happen all because she was depressed after losing her husband in a car accident, they then turned everything against her and made her out to be a villian, all because they had info on her that she willingly gave them thinking it was the right thing to do, its not. The AMA is not be trusted, sorry they aren't.

I know what you mean.On our first investigation I signed a medical release form. What I did not realize was that the form was apparently open ended because when the third one started the investigator who took over the case knew things that we had never mentioned about our daughters medical history.We changed all their doctors after that, so if there is ever a fourth investigation they will not be able to read our medical info without a new release.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:59 AM

I am so sorry Floridamom1970...Safe hugs to you.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:28 PM

396 posts, read 907,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
Somehow, I find your story unbelievable. Only because wealthy people do no use daycare facilities for their children. Let's say it's true. Tell your superiors and if they don't respond contact the authorities. This may lead to you being fired if the accusations are unfounded. Good luck!
Actually, I see weathly people sending their kids to daycare quite a bit... people i know who have worked in hedge-funds, big banks, reinsurance companies... usually both parents drive expensive cars, have an expensive house, sometimes are members at a local country club, and their kids are in daycare from early morning till early evening...

Old 01-03-2010, 08:45 PM

3,749 posts, read 7,243,388 times
OMG - this thread is ancient and childrenneedyou - needs to be reported to the moderators.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 684 times
I do not know if this is considered abuse but I have grave concerns for the children involved. My husband's cousin and wife leave their children twice a week at night to play pool. The kids are to be fed and bathed by their 14 year old son. The mother is an alchoholic and during the day drinks and is basically out of it by 5 o'clock. She also watches another child that isnt hers til around 6pm. To me, I do not think that a 14 year old who is srtruggling in school should be responsible for a 1 year old and a 3 year old 2 nights out the week. I especially do not think it is right that the mother drinks all day to the point of not caring what is going on. She also smokes weed in the house. I have personally witnessed all of these actions on numerous occassions and the family has been hush hush about it. I feel someone needs to speak for the children. i do not want to make a big deal of this, but would like some advice on what I should do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or