Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 08:29 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I wasn't cherrypicking, it was YOUR example, which again is faulty. Your logic is wrong, your examples are wrong, and so you default to the usual manner of insults of "irrational" and "emotional" instead of logically discussing the topic.

You also make assumptions about my family. You have ZERO knowledge of my family. If all my relatives were gay and transgenders would you suddenly agree with me and tell me how valid my posts are?

A child having a medical condition is in no way related to teaching TWO YEAR OLDS about same sex relationships and transgenders in PRESCHOOL.
I also want to point out that the linked article you provided specifically states that the guidelines to include age appropriate content about same sex relationships and transgenderedness are NOT mandated to the preschools. Or "nurseries" since its in the U.K.

Too bad reading comprehension isn't mandated by CD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 08:59 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
They had lessons mandated by the state for every single one of those specific scenarios beginning in preschool, for toddlers two- to four-years-old? How did the teacher explain "foster parent" to all the two-year-olds? What state were they educated in? I'd love to see the curricula directive.

Mandated is very different than classroom to classroom teacher discretion. Recognize the difference.
I totally recognize the difference. One is readily accepted and needs no mandate. The other one scares people and does need a mandate.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:02 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
This is incredible. Not only are schools indoctrinating our children in the Koran and Sharia law, but transgenderism, too!
There was a funny one on Reddit recently. A photo of a bunch of school children with their heads down and arms placed over their heads. A bunch of people were crazed about how liberals were now indoctrinating out kids to pray to Mecca. One reply nailed it. It is a tornado drill you dvmb @ss. They aren't even all pointing in the same direction, never mind Mecca!

Old 04-20-2017, 09:12 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
There was a funny one on Reddit recently. A photo of a bunch of school children with their heads down and arms placed over their heads. A bunch of people were crazed about how liberals were now indoctrinating out kids to pray to Mecca. One reply nailed it. It is a tornado drill you dvmb @ss. They aren't even all pointing in the same direction, never mind Mecca!
People are stupid. God bless 'em, there sure are a lot of idiots out there.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:39 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Quote:
I wasn't cherrypicking, it was YOUR example, which again is faulty. Your logic is wrong, your examples are wrong, and so you default to the usual manner of insults of "irrational" and "emotional" instead of logically discussing the topic.

You also make assumptions about my family. You have ZERO knowledge of my family. If all my relatives were gay and transgenders would you suddenly agree with me and tell me how valid my posts are?

A child having a medical condition is in no way related to teaching TWO YEAR OLDS about same sex relationships and transgenders in PRESCHOOL.
All they are teaching is that families are different. That means that some children have a mom and dad, some are adopted, some have foster parents, some are living with grandparents, and some have two moms or two dads, some are multiracial, some are multilingual. It's all family.

They are not teaching anything about those relationships just that they exist and the kids need to understand that they exist.

Note that preschool is not mandated, so if you don't like the curriculum, you can choose a private school that does not teach it or simply not have your child go to preschool.

Every Family Is the Same. Every Family Is Different. | Teaching Tolerance - Diversity, Equity and Justice

Quote:
Essential Questions:

What makes a family a family?
How can someone who looks different be the same as me?
How do you feel when you visit a family that is different from yours?
What does it mean to accept someone’s differences?
How can I be more accepting of someone who is different from me?
https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/...bout-families/

Quote:
Families
by Ann Morris

This book of beautiful photographs depicts families from all over the world, showing how they're different and alike.

Families Are Different: Big Book & Teaching Guide
by Nina Pellegrini

An adopted girl learns that some children live with one parent, two parents, or grandparents, and that some children have stepsiblings and parents who look different from one another.

Two Homes
by Claire Masurel; illustrated by Kady MacDonald Denton

A young boy whose parents live apart lives with both of them at different times and feels their love.
Who's in a Family? by Robert Skutch

Quote:
Who's in a Family?
by Robert Skutch, Laura Nienhaus (Illustrator)
4.06 · Rating Details · 66 Ratings · 28 Reviews
Family is important, but who's in a family? Why, the people who love you the most!This equal opportunity, open-minded picture book has no preconceptions about what makes a family a family. There's even equal time given to some of children's favorite animal families. With warm and inviting jewel-tone illustrations, this is a great book for that long talk with a little person on your lap.

Last edited by nana053; 04-20-2017 at 11:54 AM..

Old 04-26-2017, 03:26 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,552,339 times
I'm currently reading a book written by a transgendered man (born female), in which he explains the suffering he endured throughout his childhood, and particularly throughout his teen years and young adulthood, as he was forced to identify as female to conform to society's expectations. He always "knew," even as a 4-year-old, that he was *really* a boy. He was fortunate in that when he finally came out to his very traditional, yet open-minded parents, they were exceedingly understanding and eventually paid for all of his operations (more than 22!-- he was lucky in that his parents were also quite well-off). Today, he is a happy and successful man.

Who knows what kind of genetic/wiring thing happens that results in a child mentally and emotionally, at the very core of their being, identifying with the opposite gender? All I know is that if I were the parent of such a child, I would educate myself and make decisions based on professionals I trusted, in terms of gaining certainty that my child was indeed transgender and, if so, how best to go about accommodating this reality, in terms of my child's physical and mental health. One thing I would not do, now that I have a deeper understanding of and sympathy for this situation, would be to shame my child or let anyone else shame my child. Everything else--other people's opinions, morally indignant rage on the part of fearful/hateful people, etc.--is valueless static.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,/Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." --Hamlet

Old 04-27-2017, 06:16 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,863,511 times
It's allowing the kids to think their illness is okay and normal.

In actuality it's a sickness.

Plainly abhorrent.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:08 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,851 times
I think transgender is the new hip thing. Before it was coming out as gay. I find it wrong to push a child to transgenderism. It's a mental illness like any other mental illness. It should be treated with a respect, but not encouraged at such a young age. Allowing a child who doesnt know much of anything to decide they arent a boy or a girl and start taking hormones is just plain wrong.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:42 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I look back at that time, and there were a lot of people I went to school with who identified as being gay or bi. We had an enormous coming out day event, our school was massively supportive to LGBTQ+ students, and they were given a much wider platform to speak their minds as well as a berth in which to function academically and socially. Far from anyone being ostracized for being gay, being gay was cool. There was immense social pressure among girls to at least be "bi" or be accused of being a "homophobe," which was social suicide. Among guys, this pressure was basically absent, but the gay guys were cooler than our basketball players. Everyone knew Raffi and Gio, while no one knew who our football team's linebacker was.
I grew up south west of Boston and I can't even imagine anything like this (graduated in 1980). My high school was extremely homophobic, and to be labeled gay was the absolute worst thing you could be, particularly for guys. I was one of those guys that couldn't pass for straight if my life depended on it, no matter how much attention I focused on any kind of behavior modification that could make me pass for more masculine or "straight-like". Being masculine didn't come natural, and was always hated for something I couldn't help. I became very introverted, depressed, and at times suicidal. Today, 37 years later I still suffer the effects of living in a rabidly homophobic world. The fact that things have gotten better now is really too little, too late. The damage has been done.

Last edited by 9162; 06-30-2017 at 02:57 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 06:09 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
I am iffy on older teens who decide they are trans, honestly, I think some of them are doing it for attention or because they feel special.

That being said, I have seen cases where the child was a toddler and already conforming to the opposite gender (overly interested in toys of the other gender, wanting to wear clothing of the other gender, etc). I believe being transgender is a very real thing, and as a parent I would support it IF my child felt very strongly about it.

That being said, I have teens and so many of their friends want to be trans, even though they don't look the part. I feel like it's the new fad amongst the teen/young adult crowd. I'm more apt to believe it's real if we're talking about young children.

And yes I do think some parents can encourage it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting