U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 10:11 AM

19,876 posts, read 13,086,760 times

Advertisements

Words have denotations and connotations. The denotation is the literal meaning of the word. The literal meaning if the word, breeder, is one who reproduces.

A connotation is the ascribed understanding. People understand the word on two levels, basically. There is the literal, and there is the understood ascribed meaning. You often hear this when very conservative people use the word liberal as if it is an epithet, a bad word. Others understand whar this perfectly decriptive word means connotatively. The contempt is easily understood.

If someone feels insulted by being called a “breeder,” then I imagine they very well understand the connotation of the usage. The term, after all, is not normally used in polite conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 10:21 AM

21,320 posts, read 22,461,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
a breeder is one who breeds, its a statement of fact nothing more.
Ok...but there are all kinds of "statements of fact" that could be attributed to each individual person. In general, unless a particular description is directly relevant to the context of the conversation, what is the purpose of focusing on one specific "statement of fact"?

This is not just true for the term "breeders". When name callers strip away all that makes up an individual, it is intended to be demeaning. Not owning that by shrugging and saying that it is simply a "statement of fact" is cowardly.

Last edited by maciesmom; 01-11-2019 at 10:30 AM..

Old 01-11-2019, 10:47 AM

9,034 posts, read 9,372,277 times
Doesn't bother me at all.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:10 PM

4,310 posts, read 1,946,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
"I have better things to do than to breed spawn." or "There's enough breeders in this world already!"

My take?

I find the term offensive. I also find the people who use the term, especially women, to be quite hypocritical. Many of these non-parent females call themselves feminists yet will insult women who choose to become mothers. I don't see how they can square their disdain for mothers with their positions on feminism.

Thoughts?
It's definitely meant to be offensive; it's a calculated dig done precisely to hurt someone's feelings.

I've never been able to reconcile the feminist agenda with being a mother. It was an all or nothing scenario; either accept it or reject it & I choose to reject it. Feminism values the producer over the reproducer & specifically identifies a man's ability to produce as superior due to their not being the reproducers. Becoming equal producers to men, to the feminist; mandates minimizing our reproduction.

So feminists; used men & the traditional male role as the goalpost, then demanded "equality", which only served to pedastalize men, not women; resulting in an equation of subtraction. So counter-intuitive.

I was a teenage mom with a 9th-grade education. Despite that, I believe that all women should have a college education. So I did graduate college & with my same-age peers, not a "later in life" degree & I also did it with three little boys, ages two to six & nine months pregnant with baby number four.

I believe that demanding equality at work while demanding privileges as a mother is hypocritical, so I worked throughout my pregnancies, never extended maternity leaves & never called off from work due to childcare issues. I paid top dollar for reliable childcare.

I use this sentence frequently here on CD: "I'm the mother of eleven kids; seven boys, four girls & twins; twice". I've also clarified that I'm clinically considered Hyperfertile; as my first set of twins actually began as naturally conceived triplets. That's rare; at the time it was discovered, it was considered a reportable occurrence to the CDC for statistical purposes.

I resent people invalidating mothers by calling them breeders but if they insist; I'd rather they do so with me, than to discourage other would-be moms. I moved the goalpost where I wanted to & when they get there, we can talk. So far, the field is empty.

Yup, I'm a breeder, alright. I'm d*** good at it too.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:26 PM

1,055 posts, read 896,966 times
To use the term "breeder" when referring to fellow human beings is pretty darned funny.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:11 PM

7,306 posts, read 8,487,266 times
I'm sure the term is offensive but it's an accurate term. Anyone who keeps pooping out kids or knocking people up (especially if they can't support them and are depending on welfare) is an irresponsible breeder. Use a rubber, go on the pill, or if you can't afford those keep it in your pants and close your legs. You're no more responsible than some dog that goes around humping. I also think anyone who keeps having kids (even if they can support them all) is a breeder. The world doesn't need more people. Maybe you're not a drain on the taxpayers but you're a drain on the planet if you choose to keep breeding (I'm talking about people like the Duggars and others belonging to religious cults that promote this). There is no reason to have more than three kids.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:33 PM

189 posts, read 69,463 times
Like with most words it doesn't automatically offend me. I've heard plenty of people using it in a variety of ways to make some point or another about someone or some type of people. In ever case I've found it's not worth making a deal about it to the person who used it unless you want to engage in some kind of fight about nothing.

Like all things the offensiveness is based on how its used and to whom it's directed towards. Are you trying to hurt someone personally and directly using the term? Well that's pretty antagonistic if the whole point was purely to get a rise out a person but it's the other party that holds all the power in feeling offended, not the word or the person who said it. Don't believe you represent the term or it's correct? Well then it doesn't matter what people call you...your not unless you play into the game and validate that you feel their term is correct in some way.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:46 PM

2,457 posts, read 1,026,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicfamly5 View Post
Like with most words it doesn't automatically offend me. I've heard plenty of people using it in a variety of ways to make some point or another about someone or some type of people. In ever case I've found it's not worth making a deal about it to the person who used it unless you want to engage in some kind of fight about nothing.

Like all things the offensiveness is based on how its used and to whom it's directed towards. Are you trying to hurt someone personally and directly using the term? Well that's pretty antagonistic if the whole point was purely to get a rise out a person but it's the other party that holds all the power in feeling offended, not the word or the person who said it. Don't believe you represent the term or it's correct? Well then it doesn't matter what people call you...your not unless you play into the game and validate that you feel their term is correct in some way.
Agree. It's just a word. 'Breeder'

By getting offended by it, you just give power to what is really just a word and you let it define you and label you.

Completely agree that by being bothered by it gives the other party all of the power over you.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:25 AM

3,796 posts, read 2,177,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'm sure the term is offensive but it's an accurate term. Anyone who keeps pooping out kids or knocking people up (especially if they can't support them and are depending on welfare) is an irresponsible breeder. Use a rubber, go on the pill, or if you can't afford those keep it in your pants and close your legs. You're no more responsible than some dog that goes around humping. I also think anyone who keeps having kids (even if they can support them all) is a breeder. The world doesn't need more people. Maybe you're not a drain on the taxpayers but you're a drain on the planet if you choose to keep breeding (I'm talking about people like the Duggars and others belonging to religious cults that promote this). There is no reason to have more than three kids.
I dont like it, but i agree.

It CAN be used as a slang word for one who has kids, being harmless relatively.

But its also often MEANT to offend, and i use it in the terms (privately of course) to describe the situations quoted above.

The term breeder though can be/is as bad as the N word and the F word for gay people when its used that way.

But when i use its for people like a coworker of mine, 11 kids, ages 1-18, 3 from a previous marriage, and 8 from current, 5 ages 5 and under, one set of twins. He works a minimum wage jobs and gets govt assistance. He couldn't support the first 3, what on earth made him think he could support the others. Only 1 or 2 with current wife would have sufficed, not EIGHT.
That to me is a breeder. I concur, the Duggars is a family of breeders. Even if they dont get govt assistance.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:29 AM

3,796 posts, read 2,177,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I dont like it, but i agree.

It CAN be used as a slang word for one who has kids, being harmless relatively.

But its also often MEANT to offend, and i use it in the terms (privately of course) to describe the situations quoted above.

The term breeder though can be/is as bad as the N word and the F word for gay people when its used that way.

But when i use its for people like a coworker of mine, 11 kids, ages 1-18, 3 from a previous marriage, and 8 from current, 5 ages 5 and under, one set of twins. He works a minimum wage jobs and gets govt assistance. He couldn't support the first 3, what on earth made him think he could support the others. Only 1 or 2 with current wife would have sufficed, not EIGHT.
That to me is a breeder. I concur, the Duggars is a family of breeders. Even if they dont get govt assistance.

I dont have kids by choice, but DO NOT consider anyone who has one or two to be "breeders", just tye ones with a whole passel of kids

* sometimes people who DO breed animals, if tgey are serious and not a "puppy mill", use common sense in breeding their animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or