U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 02:22 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,516,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I know four families in our neighborhood with 4+ kids. I'm going to take a wild guess and say not all of them were planned though I know three of the four moms pretty well and all said they always wanted big families. I agree with minivandriver. Even if they weren't planned, but they were all loved and cared for, then why is it okay to call women who want big families nasty names? Again, this flies in the face of strong feminist values. I don't get the hypocrisy.
I personally don't call anyone a breeder...I was just noting that that could be why some folks would. I don't care if you have 25 kids if you can pay for them...

Personally, I think the planet is overpopulated enough as it is and so I think big families are a little irresponsible, however, that is not my decision to make. I think 2 maybe 3 kids tops is enough but again...not my problem if the family can afford it, then go for it...have 100s of kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 02:30 PM

7,416 posts, read 7,385,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Yes. It is offensive and people mean to offend when they say it.
So what? Man up everyone. Insults and disapproval won't kill you.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:41 PM

11,098 posts, read 11,507,990 times
Quote:
We have many regular participants on this board who run the gamut of having/currently raising children to having adult children to non-parents. I'd like to see what people think of the term breeder. Its used by many non-parents in their arguments against having children. "I have better things to do than to breed spawn." or "There's enough breeders in this world already!"

My take?

I find the term offensive. I also find the people who use the term, especially women, to be quite hypocritical. Many of these non-parent females call themselves feminists yet will insult women who choose to become mothers. I don't see how they can square their disdain for mothers with their positions on feminism.

Thoughts?
You should be offended. That is the way the word is intended. Overpopulation is destroying the planet, yet breeders sail around like they are doing something virtuous.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:41 PM

12,976 posts, read 11,812,932 times
Quote:
As feminists, do you not find it hypocritical for childfree women to call other women offensive names? Would it be okay if I, as a white female, to call another ethnicity slurs because I had a bad go around with people of said ethnicity? Of course not. I thought these movements were based on mutual respect and understanding. From what I've seen over the past decade, its really not gone that way. Instead, the coins have flipped and now its okay to ridicule and denigrate one side vs. the other now. I don't see how that is progress nor do I see why its okay.

I said in my post that I did not care for the word, I merely explained why I think it is used. When talking about "feminists" you make it sound like they are all in group-think. It would be the same assumption that all mothers share exactly the same opinion on things.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:29 PM

11,136 posts, read 6,626,765 times
[quote=sawyersmom;47758860]I said I personally would not use the term and the only way I could see it being said was of a large unplanned family/QUOTE]

But that is not the only way it's used. I've seen people refer to all straight married couples as breeders, regardless of the number of the number of children they have.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:30 PM

3,680 posts, read 3,270,139 times
Quote:
Is the term breeder offensive?

If someone said that to me I'd probably laugh and tell them to get a job.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:33 PM

11,136 posts, read 6,626,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
FWIW, not only childless/childfree people use this term. I know a parent of two children who used the term for a friend who is pregnant with their fifth child. She said "They're pregnant with their fifth child. They're breeders." And I can assure you, she didn't mean it to offend or in a derogatory manner.
How can you compare a friend to a dog and not mean offense?

Old 04-06-2017, 04:05 PM

15,834 posts, read 4,950,941 times
I am a feminist who is childfree by choice, although I don't care for the term "childfree." I prefer to simply say that I don't have children. I think the world is overpopulated, that our species is fouling its nest and that we may become extinct at some point in the future when the climate is out of control, the infrastructure has broken down and there's not enough jobs, housing, food or clean water left on the planet to sustain the billions of humans inhabiting it.

That said, I find the term "breeder" to be offensive. I joined a childfree newsgroup once but quickly left it because the level of nastiness and name-calling was disturbing. I don't understand why people feel the need to criticize the reproductive choices of others. I wonder if it's because there is so much societal pressure - especially on women - to have children, that those who have chosen not to feel marginalized. Marginalized groups usually tend to express hostility toward the dominant group. It's a defense mechanism, I guess. But that doesn't make it OK.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:24 PM

1,475 posts, read 457,829 times
Quote:
Yes, actually.

There is a blog called The Belle Jar. I follow her page on Facebook. She posted a Buzzfeed article titled,
"17 Realities Everyone Who Is Child-Free By Choice Knows."

On the Facebook comments, some women took offense to the term breeder and many women - women who follow an ultra feminist writer and are self proclaimed feminists - defended the use of the word. Even the author herself defended the use of it.
Haven't read the thread, but I have come across it in the past. It all sounds so dumb. These people have something going on with them and they're angry...angry at the world and taking it out on others.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:34 PM

28,029 posts, read 19,700,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
How can you compare a friend to a dog and not mean offense?
Why not?

I see people compare dogs to children all the time. LOL Usually its the same ones who call parents breeders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or