Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 09:06 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times

Advertisements

When I think of the word "breeder" I think of a dog. Yes, it's offensive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 09:08 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
I think it's meant to be offensive because it has barnyard connotations and also because it describes an entire, complex person by one aspect of their life.

But I choose not to be offended by it because I just don't care about this issue. People should have children if they want them and avoid having children if they don't want them. There is nothing right or wrong about either choice, as long as people who have children take care of them as best they can.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:11 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Of course it's offensive. It's meant to be.

Anyone else notice the trend of threads in the parenting section mostly against the idea of being a mom/dad, as if being a mom/dad is a horrible thing? Why is that?
Nope I don't notice any trend of that sort.

Most people here are parents by choice, so clearly we don't think it's a horrible thing.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:12 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I agree that some people intend it to be offensive. Saying "I have better things to do than breed" is of course offensive. It's obviously the intention.

I also think people get too offended by things these days, and that goes for both sides.

Honestly curious how the word "childless" can be deemed offensive. It simply means without children. Peerless (without peers), aimless (without aim), etc.
I think "childless" implies that a woman is unable to have children or that a man is sterile. In days past, that was considered to be a terrible liability because a woman who could not bear children or a man who could not produce children wasn't worth much in a family. Thank goodness that's no longer true. "Childfree" implies that a person has chosen not to have children, rather than is unable to have them. If I chose not to have children I would prefer "childfree" to "childless."

Old 04-06-2017, 09:19 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:

Anyone else notice the trend of threads in the parenting section mostly against the idea of being a mom/dad, as if being a mom/dad is a horrible thing? Why is that?
Yes, I've noticed that as well. I feel its superiority complex rearing its ugly head.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:26 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, I've noticed that as well. I feel its superiority complex rearing its ugly head.

Examples please?

Old 04-06-2017, 10:15 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'd like to see what people think of the term breeder.
To me, a breeder is someone who continuously has children over and over.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:38 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Well, let's at least be honest. As parents, none of us decided to have a baby because it would help the world. We all wanted a baby, a squishy thing to love and that we thought would love us unconditionally, something we could teach what we know, and hope they do the things we never got to do. For some, they think they had kids just so they'd have someone to take care of them in their old age.

It is the single-most selfish thing a person can do, is to have a child.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:39 AM

6,560 posts, read 8,391,660 times
I think it depends on the context in which it's intended. If it's intended to be an insult or a derogatory term then it can be offensive.

FWIW, not only childless/childfree people use this term. I know a parent of two children who used the term for a friend who is pregnant with their fifth child. She said "They're pregnant with their fifth child. They're breeders." And I can assure you, she didn't mean it to offend or in a derogatory manner.

Old 04-06-2017, 10:41 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
I could give a you-know-what about what some people call me as the father of three children and the step-father of another one. I have only myself and them to answer to...to which my daughter once said of a comparison I made to a cartoon father, "Homer wasn't that bad, dad."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting