Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 06:47 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

We have many regular participants on this board who run the gamut of having/currently raising children to having adult children to non-parents. I'd like to see what people think of the term breeder. Its used by many non-parents in their arguments against having children. "I have better things to do than to breed spawn." or "There's enough breeders in this world already!"

My take?

I find the term offensive. I also find the people who use the term, especially women, to be quite hypocritical. Many of these non-parent females call themselves feminists yet will insult women who choose to become mothers. I don't see how they can square their disdain for mothers with their positions on feminism.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 06:51 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Of course it's offensive. It's meant to be.

Is there anyone who says otherwise?

Old 04-06-2017, 06:59 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Yes. It is offensive and people mean to offend when they say it.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:23 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Well without reading the article (no link and I don't have time or real inclination to search), I would say there is a difference between saying the word is not offensive and defending it's usage. I take the comments posted to mean that it's ok for (the child-free people who use this word) to be offensive because it's in response to feeling offended themselves as well as "yeah so what, I just call it as I see it", "it shouldn't be offensive if it's true" etc.

I think some people feel it's usage is justified, even if (and sometimes because) it's offensive.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:27 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
I think it is offensive ; however, is it right to bring babies into the world when you can not afford them and expect the govt or relatives to raise them ? Granted , having children in a loving home that can nurture them and provide for them is a great thing. However, we all know that is not always the case.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:21 AM

518 posts, read 925,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
We have many regular participants on this board who run the gamut of having/currently raising children to having adult children to non-parents. I'd like to see what people think of the term breeder. Its used by many non-parents in their arguments against having children. "I have better things to do than to breed spawn." or "There's enough breeders in this world already!"

My take?

I find the term offensive. I also find the people who use the term, especially women, to be quite hypocritical. Many of these non-parent females call themselves feminists yet will insult women who choose to become mothers. I don't see how they can square their disdain for mothers with their positions on feminism.

Thoughts?
I'm in the minority, I don't find the term offensive in the slightest. Letting it offend you is giving those who use it offensively power over you. I also don't worry about the people who try to use it as an offensive term against parents, since they are leaving the gene pool anyways. Everyone makes their own choice and needs to live with it. Trying to be offensive to people with different views than your own solely because of said views is childish in my opinion. Which as a parent, I can ignore to focus on the more important things in life, such as my family and friends.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:33 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,728,104 times
I think it is meant to be offensive, but I also think it is in reaction to a term they find offensive "childLESS".

Old 04-06-2017, 08:51 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
When I hear the word "breeder" I think of an unmarried woman on welfare with lots of children, usually by different fathers. Or any of the Duggar women. :-)

Old 04-06-2017, 08:52 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Of course it's offensive. It's meant to be.

Anyone else notice the trend of threads in the parenting section mostly against the idea of being a mom/dad, as if being a mom/dad is a horrible thing? Why is that?

Old 04-06-2017, 08:58 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,577 times
I agree that some people intend it to be offensive. Saying "I have better things to do than breed" is of course offensive. It's obviously the intention.

I also think people get too offended by things these days, and that goes for both sides.

Honestly curious how the word "childless" can be deemed offensive. It simply means without children. Peerless (without peers), aimless (without aim), etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting