Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 09:52 PM

2,309 posts, read 901,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
There are plenty of airsoft guns that are pretty much exactly copies of actual guns, all the way down to the rollmarks, caliber designations, etc. The good ones are actually licensed by the firearm manufacturers themselves. While airsoft guns sold in the US are supposed to have an orange tipped barrel, the orange is easily painted over. Guns purchased in the far East frequently don't have the orange tip. Many of these are such good reproductions that it is impossible to tell the difference between the airsoft replica and the real gun without inspecting it. At 5 feet (or more) away? No way to tell the difference. "Toy guns" today can actually be the most realistic replicas ever created. Thing of the past? No way.
Actually, marking toy guns with orange can be counter intuitive. It's not that hard to paint a real gun with an orange tip to throw off cops. So the solution, as with real guns, is not the toy but the training of the child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 05:25 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Hmmmmmmmm.

First of all, your house, your rules.

Secondly, I had something of a similar problem at my brother's house when he was married and my niece (under 10 then) wanted me to play a game with her on their "wonderful interactive" TV gaming system. I have only encountered such systems as police training devices and as such, respond to them as "real". With such systems, it is not a game to me and counter to me to try to play them with an "interference program" (see below) in play.

SO, perhaps you can use something similar if it comes to "Why?" in that you don't think it is right in this world of ours, where it might be difficult to tell play from real......or you can just say, my house, my rules.

Now, about an interference program. When I play air hockey, I let my reflexes loose and I usually win. So that I can play with a child, I throw an interference "program" into my reflexes so I'm not so perfect. Ie, it is telling the reflexes....."Let the Wookie win some".

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
We allow Nerf guns, the ones that you can tell a mile away they are fake.

Air-soft, no chance in hell. Kids tend to do odd things. In my younger days when I was a LEO, I came within an inch of sending hollow points into a 16 year old kid at point blank range. Why, because he thought it would be fun to run around with a air-soft with no painted tip. It's not unheard of for the nice well adjusted kid to make one stupid odd decision.

In the end your house your rules.
Even if the other person isn't packing.......two things about me are to strike in a split second of a perceived threat and to reach my maximum energy but not in a state of anger so to overwhelm their current energy state in a second.

Here's the catch: I started judo at 10 and when I got my warning from my father that if I seriously misbehaved, he would have to come after me with a baseball bat at 16. By that age, my skills were that good that they were quite visible.

One thing I didn't have, however, was the control of arrogant pride. I didn't learn that, the "I'm just going have to show this person it is useless to fight with me", the hard way till I was 18-19.

It takes a while to learn mental discipline like that; don't think that everyone will appreciate that one is just playing.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-07-2017 at 05:42 AM..

Old 06-08-2017, 07:28 PM

10,738 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Actually, marking toy guns with orange can be counter intuitive. It's not that hard to paint a real gun with an orange tip to throw off cops. So the solution, as with real guns, is not the toy but the training of the child.
I'm not sure why this post was directed at me. I didn't have any commentary on whether orange tipped toys were a good or bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting