Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 03:22 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I don't think you understand what your therapist meant. Do you use a seat belt for yourself and a carseat for your kids? Or do you forgo them because to use them is just your anxiety showing? Do you vaccinate your kids against vaccine-preventable disease, or do you forgo them because that's your anxiety in charge if you think they could get exposed? Do you lock your door at night and when you leave home, or is your anxiety in charge about intruders? "The wisdom to know the difference" is important here.
I know exactly what she was saying. I don't put on a seat belt because "what if". I put on a seat belt because accidents happen and its better to be prepared. You were using fear of what ifs as a reason to helicopter children. I am saying, that is anxiety talking. Because walking 20 feet away from a parent isn't know to be harmful on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 03:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I know exactly what she was saying. I don't put on a seat belt because "what if". I put on a seat belt because accidents happen and its better to be prepared. You were using fear of what ifs as a reason to helicopter children. I am saying, that is anxiety talking. Because walking 20 feet away from a parent isn't know to be harmful on a regular basis.
You are using a major logical fallacy with the bold. You are in fact "assuming" and you know what that does. No, kids running down a grocery store aisle do crash into people, carts and merchandise. If you spend much time in a grocery store, you see it. This has nothing to do with helicopter parenting, which I did not do, thank you very much. I also do not appreciate the "keyboard psychology", thank you.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:42 PM

23,972 posts, read 15,072,142 times
Quote:
I still think it depends on where you are walking and the age of the kid. And the kid. I know one kid who at 2 could be given something of interest and he would be sitting there 2 hours later. Another 2 yo would get bored in a minute and be pulling out the dishwasher door to get a boost on the counter so he could get the cookies from the top of the frig.

Sure, most of us were turned out in the neighborhood on our own. In my case, the ages of the group were all over the place. There was generally older kids who had sense enough to call a halt if the situation got iffy. And they knew that was their job.

And, years ago, at 12, I could get on the bus alone and go meet my mom downtown have lunch, go tp the movie and hang around until she got off work.

But a toddler does not have the capacity to recognize danger. They need to kept close at the grocery store.

Now, define close.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
You are using a major logical fallacy with the bold. You are in fact "assuming" and you know what that does. No, kids running down a grocery store aisle do crash into people, carts and merchandise. If you spend much time in a grocery store, you see it. This has nothing to do with helicopter parenting, which I did not do, thank you very much. I also do not appreciate the "keyboard psychology", thank you.
Sigh. I used to work in a grocery store. Spent more then 40 hours a week there for a couple years. Is that enough time?

Feel free to ignore my keyboard psychology. But it could be helpful.........

Old 04-14-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Sigh. I used to work in a grocery store. Spent more then 40 hours a week there for a couple years. Is that enough time?

Feel free to ignore my keyboard psychology. But it could be helpful.........
And you never saw kids running into carts, people, etc? I find that hard to believe as I've seen that as a shopper. Even in the pediatrics office where I worked, kids would open cupboards and pull out formula, diapers, what have you that we had stored in them.

If I find myself in need of a therapist, I will find someone qualified.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
And you never saw kids running into carts, people, etc? I find that hard to believe as I've seen that as a shopper. Even in the pediatrics office where I worked, kids would open cupboards and pull out formula, diapers, what have you that we had stored in them.

If I find myself in need of a therapist, I will find someone qualified.
I didn't. I remember clearly teens being jerks...sometimes breaking things...shoplifting...being obnoxious. I remember adults knocking over wine...so many times. I remember kids being the least of my worries. And where I worked, the parents tended to be anti-helicopter. Very hippy like town where kids had a ton of independence. But no, kids were not a problem. I think when people pretend they are, they are being inflammatory for fun.

And the fear of a child being abducted or injured because they had a little space...didn't happen. 2 years X 40+ hours a week. A very busy store. Not once.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:11 PM

Oh and before you say "oh, you just weren't there when it happened". For 1 year I was the employee liaison for the "safety council" which reviewed all claims against the store by employees and customers.

Not one abducted child. Not one child hurt by letting them free range. Lots of back injuries from heavy packages. A couple adults making dumb claims. A couple slip and falls.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:36 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,522,688 times
Coffee shop has a sign:
"Unsupervised children will be given an espresso and a puppy"

Old 04-14-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I didn't. I remember clearly teens being jerks...sometimes breaking things...shoplifting...being obnoxious. I remember adults knocking over wine...so many times. I remember kids being the least of my worries. And where I worked, the parents tended to be anti-helicopter. Very hippy like town where kids had a ton of independence. But no, kids were not a problem. I think when people pretend they are, they are being inflammatory for fun.

And the fear of a child being abducted or injured because they had a little space...didn't happen. 2 years X 40+ hours a week. A very busy store. Not once.
Good For You. I didn't mention abduction. I think that concern is overblown.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:59 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
You'll have to provide a link. When I Googled "Toddlers abducted from grocery stores in 2016 when their parents were 20-30' away" nothing showed up.
People shouldn't deny reality, ignorance is not bliss when it involves risk to a child.

Simply type in your search engine "Child abductions from stores" there were pages of links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting