Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:07 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,198,500 times

Advertisements

Until my son became a teenager, he always use to smile. I look at old pictures of him in grammar school and he was smiling. It was easy. It is normal at this age, 14, for them to smile only for their friends and just be sullen with their parents? He has everything to be happy about..new girlfriend whom he talks to for hours everyday, friends....Just makes me sad to see the way he was when he was younger and what he seems to be now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 10:11 AM

1,969 posts, read 5,956,390 times
Aww - that must be hard. My daughter is 14, and I've noticed that she doesn't giggle as much as she used to and that she'd rather talk to her friends then me ....most of the time anyway. I think that is normal. As far as your son.....he's probably trying to get some kind of macho image for himself...you know...he's a big tough guy now.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:22 AM

nic529 if you could see these pictures of him when he was younger you would melt. Curly towhead and a face of an angel. Women always had to touch his hair. He wears a baseball cap backwards now. Unless I look at these old pictures, it seems like this frown has always been worn.sigh.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:27 AM

324 posts, read 1,706,665 times
Awww hugs to you Mom. Must be hard to see that little toehead grow up. In a couple years I'll have one your age. I've always wondered what the challenges of raising teenage boys would be...

Old 03-07-2008, 10:33 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
I know what you are saying Puffle. It will return but not anytime really soon. Boys have hormones too, growing pains and all those things typical of all teenagers. My son was sort of that way. He still loved me but just seemed happier with his friends. He still did smile but not as much and seemed to have a lot on his mind. You might want to try a good heart to heart talk with him. Talking never hurts! He doesn't know how you are feeling any more then you know how he is feeling. I always tried to have a very open line of communication with my kids or as much as they would allow!! . This is an age where they don't always like to talk to us about themselves. Maybe show him those pictures and tell him you miss that. Don't try to continue guessing give talking a try!! Good luck!

Old 03-07-2008, 10:35 AM

It also sounds like you are maybe having a difficult time seeing your little boy grow up!! I know how hard that is. My son is 28 now..where did the time go? I'd just love to have my baby back if only for a day!!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I know what you are saying Puffle. It will return but not anytime really soon. Boys have hormones too, growing pains and all those things typical of all teenagers. My son was sort of that way. He still loved me but just seemed happier with his friends. He still did smile but not as much and seemed to have a lot on his mind. You might want to try a good heart to heart talk with him. Talking never hurts! He doesn't know how you are feeling any more then you know how he is feeling. I always tried to have a very open line of communication with my kids or as much as they would allow!! . This is an age where they don't always like to talk to us about themselves. Maybe show him those pictures and tell him you miss that. Don't try to continue guessing give talking a try!! Good luck!
I hesitate to have any personal kind of conversation with him these days as he just shuts down. Doesn't want me to talk about how school is going, again, just the usual, "how was school" and "fine" seems to be it unless he wants something. I just hate to see him "look" so unhappy, but that's just it...is it just a teenage "look"? I guess looking back I was the same way but never really went through the smiling stage either...also entirely different home life. I just don't know when it's normal or a problem..he is so moody.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:18 AM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Its normal. He will grow out of that phase in 4-8 yrs. LOL. Seriously, my 2 boys went thru this, one more so than the other. They are 30 and 24 now. My 24 yr old just moved back in with me. We laugh and cut up like room mates. My older son is at my house with his boys (divorced) every weekend. It will get better. Hang in there and just let him know you love him and are always there when he needs you.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:23 AM

Do keep a eye on him just incase there is a problem. To be honest I just think it's growing pains. It's difficult becoming a man today--many men never get there and remain boys!!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:23 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,368,771 times
Right now, your boy's job is to begin to separate from mom and dad. He needs to become his own person. His surliness toward you is perfectly natural. He's going to laugh more with his friends because they represent his independence from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting