Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 07:06 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I was with a friend today and when saying good bye, he made me feel like I was in the Subaru commercial, of the dad with his daughter, now a teen, but always his little girl.

Here's the catch in that Subarus, if properly maintained, can last forever. Mine is a 2002 and if I had to give mine to a "son or daughter", I would.

So when does one start picking the car,
If its a subaru ?
Right after toilet training.
No-one knows how long they last, they havn't been mfging them long enough yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 07:15 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm wondering why a teen would "need" a car, and why would one be handed to him/her, without the teen having to earn at least part of the money needed for it? If the teen isn't motivated to work for it, then s/he doesn't need it.
My husband and I both work, and the kids are in sports. Having one able to drive him self, and me still having a car to drive the other one would take a lot off my very full plate. Just like the phone was so I could reach him, the car would be so he can get where he needs to be without me.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:19 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,549,013 times
I would just say be careful with the kids and a used car.

Bought my son Arnie a used '57 Plymouth Fury, and he treats it better than that cute girlfriend of his.

I worry about my boy.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:23 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
My parents greatly disliked me: I got their Chevy Vega that they both hated.

If you're young, please know that this was a piece of crap car, full of plastic and thin metal.

I had been saving for a used Ford F-150, but I was told I had to take the Vega, not enough room to park a truck in our driveway. (I was willing to park it on the street and move it when necessary)

The funny thing was that the recession hit soon after, and I was stuck with that car for almost 7 years. I learned how to keep it running, and when the sides rusted out (this was Michigan, lots of salt on the roads), I re-skinned it with siding that I got for free from a neighbor who felt sorry for me.

Ugh! I'd never do that to a child of mine. I wouldn't get them a new car, but a small, used truck is safe.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:47 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Yeah, we figured we'd give our oldest the Fiat my husband drives now, and he'll buy another electric car with a longer range.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:57 PM

676 posts, read 725,329 times
My son is 13 he will be getting a suburban when he is 14 so he will have some time to fix anything that is wrong with it by the time he is 14 and 9 months and able to drive. It will be a nice used beginner car. I already have him driving my pickup around so he should be a pretty good driver by the time he is legally allowed.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:43 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
My oldest child is 11. I have recently thought about keeping my current car for her when she turns turn 16 in 4.5 years if it's still in good safe working order. However, I would not buy a car with the mentality that it might someday be for my child to drive. I was never given a car by my parents and therefore didn't have one until I was able to afford one on my own including gas, insurance and maintenance. Will I hand down my vehicle? Maybe, maybe not. As of right now I might not even allow my child to drive at 16. I have time to ponder that decision!

Old 04-30-2017, 08:49 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo8414 View Post
My son is 13 he will be getting a suburban when he is 14 so he will have some time to fix anything that is wrong with it by the time he is 14 and 9 months and able to drive. It will be a nice used beginner car. I already have him driving my pickup around so he should be a pretty good driver by the time he is legally allowed.
I think I disagree with everything about this post. I don't think a huge suburban is a good beginner car, and I don't appreciate sharing the road with an unlicensed 13 year old!

Old 04-30-2017, 08:59 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm wondering why a teen would "need" a car, and why would one be handed to him/her, without the teen having to earn at least part of the money needed for it? If the teen isn't motivated to work for it, then s/he doesn't need it.
do you limit your child to only things he or she NEEDS? I don't know any parent that does. No, my children do not need to drive a car, but I LIKE for them to drive cars because it makes *my* life easier and much less stressful. I work outside the home (and we live in an area without public transportation) and it is so very nice not to have to worry about picking up kid A from soccer practice at 4:30 and picking up kid B from tennis lessons in a location 30 minutes away from kid A's soccer practice and then trying to get to kid C's piano recital back in the area of kid A's soccer practice (or trying to coordinate car pools for all of this).

Is there something so wrong with doing things that make our lives easier?

Old 04-30-2017, 09:06 PM

676 posts, read 725,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I think I disagree with everything about this post. I don't think a huge suburban is a good beginner car, and I don't appreciate sharing the road with an unlicensed 13 year old!
He drives on dirt roads so their isn't much traffic. I suppose it would be better to have him drive on main roads with no experience at all in a year and a half when he will be licensed? I think him getting experience ahead of time on dirt roads under my supervision is a better idea, then when his instructor has him on real roads he will already know how everything goes.

He has been driving big trucks including suburbans for a while now with no problem. You either know how to use mirrors and check blind spots or you don't. This is the same thing my dad had me and my brother do before we got our license. Practice makes perfect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting