Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:00 AM

797 posts, read 751,615 times

Advertisements

Shes one of those parents who thinks her kids came out of Mary huh?
I have friends who have soccer games,they dont bother asking me to go. They know I wont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 08:27 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
Would you invite your sister or brother and their families? She seems to invite everyone.
Certainly if I had siblings in the area, I would invite them, especially if I thought it was something cute, or when they got older, actually entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
She sounds like she is living through her kids. Annoying for sure, and I wouldn't do anything to encourage it. Some people just fail to see that their kids aren't as important as they think they are, at least not to anyone besides their parents.

What would she do if you took her out to lunch and said "no talking about kids"? She probably couldn't do it.
Keyboard psychology!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I've sat through a friend's daughter's college graduation. I forget how many HUNDRED graduates there were that walked across that stage to get their diploma that day.

OMG, I was SO freaking bored but I went to keep my friend (the mother of the graduate) company. She is one of my best friends and I had to act honoured to be asked to attend.

About five seconds and she across the stage and got her diploma. Big deal! It was agonizing sitting there.
Surely you knew that's what a college graduation would be like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Our friends never asked us to go to their children's performances however, our children went to school together so we were all going to be there anyway. Beyond that, we go to watch our grandsons when we are available when they are in a play.
That's how it was with us, too, back in the day. The kids themselves would go to each other's athletic events sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm afraid I would have to tell her next time, "I don't mind buying Girl Scout cookies, but Snowflake is not my child, and I don't feel it's appropriate for me to be at your kid's dance recital/band concert/cheerleading tryout."
Why bring up GS cookies if they're inviting you to a dance recital?

Old 05-03-2017, 08:57 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Certainly if I had siblings in the area, I would invite them, especially if I thought it was something cute, or when they got older, actually entertaining.

Keyboard psychology!

Surely you knew that's what a college graduation would be like!

That's how it was with us, too, back in the day. The kids themselves would go to each other's athletic events sometimes.

Why bring up GS cookies if they're inviting you to a dance recital?
Based on your responses to the other remarks, I'm not getting into a discussion with you. You seem like "one of those" and I'd not respond again to their questions, either.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Based on your responses to the other remarks, I'm not getting into a discussion with you. You seem like "one of those" and I'd not respond again to their questions, either.
If you really didn't want to get into a "discussion" with me, you would have simply ignored my post, rather than insulting me. You have a nice day, too!

Old 05-03-2017, 10:44 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
She is always texting me, other friends, mine and their family members etc...about her kids dance and piano recitals giving us details of when it is and the price and then follows up to ask if we are going. One time I went and watched a 3 hour show when her kid was on stage for 1.5 minutes. I'm not a parents but none of my other friends who have kids do this. Nor did my parents when I was a kid and in shows. I remember my grandparents being there and maybe one of my friends who wanted to go. I just think it really puts people on the spot. She does the same thing with Girl Scout cookies and magazine subscriptions they are selling.
Not if you have the spine to simply say no. Say it often enough, and the problem will go away.

Quote:
Would you invite your sister or brother and their families? She seems to invite everyone.
So? Why do you care? It's one thing for you to be bothered that she asks you; it's quite another for you to be annoyed that she asks relatives and other friends.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:48 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Not only would I not go but it annoys me when I can't get a seat at my own kid's event because every grandma, grandpa, aunt, uncle, former babysitter, cross-country friend under the sun comes for half the other kids. I wish events were limited to immediate family only. Or at least give a certain amount of tickets to be used however the family wants.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:48 AM

482 posts, read 944,739 times
No still works. I have to laugh, because I think I sometimes post too many pictures of my daughter on FB, so I don't post more than 1 in a month or 2. Like my sister tells me, YOU love your kid, not everyone else does.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:27 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
I wouldn't go even once. That would be like feeding a stray cat and expecting it to go away. Life just doesn't work that way.
I would have no problem saying no without thinking up an excuse. If my "no" doesn't speak for itself, she really isn't a friend. She's a Bother.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:44 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Whenever I've been asked, I usually laugh and say, "No".

Old 05-03-2017, 01:11 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,794,402 times
Yes, I would find it annoying.
No, I would not attend.
No, I don't even get invited, because they know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting