Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 09:36 PM

858 posts, read 1,806,268 times

Advertisements

Wow! I'm amazed how many people go straight to the negative path, thinking about pedophilia and such.

I'm familiar with immigration and I know that, if nothing changes in the law, she will be doomed. So what you're planning is a very charitable act. Not sure why your wife is not on board, but I have sensed something similar in some immigrant communities, the "I'm all set, don't care about anyone else" mindset that's very sad.

I also agreed with PP that this adoption brings with it another set of issues that might be difficult to work around in both families.

So, yes, your heart is in the right place, but the change we really need is to change immigration law so this heartbreaking cases don't happen anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 11:14 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
There is a legal path. My husband managed to go down that path, and do everything legally.
If there was a legal path for him, he was lucky. There isn't for most as I said.

Many use marriage as the legal past but that does not pertain to the school right now.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:46 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,690,224 times
I just read the posters comments.

NO, sorry, just no. Don't adopt this 16 year old girl. First off I don't care how well you know this family the whole thing is creepy. If this was such a concern then YOUR WIFE should be the one bringing this up, not you. You shouldn't be offering anything, not adoption, not financial support, not anything.

Now if it was family I'd say go for it but this is a FRIEND. I don't care how close, you just don't do stuff like this. Go adopt a dog if you want a new family member. Now. You do realize you'd be causing a division in your own family and with your own daughter when you bright in this older girl and give her what she's always lacked? And what about her parents? I doubt they'd see you as a savior. They'd see you as dividing up their family and taking sides and I bet your wife won't want to be around them at all. Then there's the 'he said' 'she said' with what one family does / says against the other and so much heartache, division, and mistrust. So what if you adopted this girl and she got the five star college and degree while her poorer siblings fought for every penny and year of schooling. You bet that'll divide her from her siblings and cause another rift.

Even if your close friends can't do a thing for this girl, they can figure it out. I'm sure they've had many many many years to think about it. Maybe they have family back home they can send her too or even college. They may have a rich uncle or grandparents that want to help.

Having a married man focus so strongly on a 16 year old girl - I don't care how cherished this family is, it's creepy. It's wrong. And I bet if you brought it up with this girl's parents they'd say leave and never return. And I bet you won't be approved for adoption anyway without your wife's approval. If I were in her shoes I'd say no.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:05 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
Op, it's not as simple as you wanting to adopt her or having her get married! Especially if she's here illegally.

Op, you need to focus on your own family! The fact that your wife is not happy with the situation should tell you to back off.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:19 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,067,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
If there was a legal path for him, he was lucky. There isn't for most as I said.

Many use marriage as the legal past but that does not pertain to the school right now.
Of course there is a legal path, but for many, it is almost impossible to immigrate legally. So I agree with you.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:41 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
There is a legal path. My husband managed to go down that path, and do everything legally.
I'm curious. Was your husband brought here, as a small child, and grew up to teenage years in the US without legal status, through no fault or decision of his own? Because that's what this girl is facing.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:50 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Before you do anything with this adoption thing and even if you drop the idea, go to a marriage counselor and also get yourself your own therapist. There's like 8 billion issues going on here involving you, your wife and your child.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:59 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cx5122 View Post
I am strongly considering adopting the oldest child shortly before her 16th birthday. Obviously, this has an immigration benefit, but also takes a financial burden off of their parents, provides her with health insurance, opportunities for her education, etc. It would be an open adoption and she would have no limitation of contact with her family, who will continue to live very close. She could even stay there on the weekends.
It sounds like you plan on taking this child away from her parents.

You are far too involved in this child's life.

My creep radar is pegged.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:03 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't think US citizens realize the constant fear undocumented people live in, and the desperate measures they will go through to remain in the US.
But not desperate enough to do it the legal way, like my grandparents did.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:11 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
But not desperate enough to do it the legal way, like my grandparents did.
There is a forum for this, it is >>>>>> that-a-way

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting