Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 09:02 PM

41 posts, read 22,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
None of these arguments here matter.... you are just wasting your time. The only person who needs to be having these conversations with you is your wife. Our opinions are not likely to sway her, so that is why our opinions are completely irrelevant.

In my work, I have worked with families in the exact situation you describe. Parents come here illegally, bring one child who was born in the other country, and then the children born here are legal citizens. But the first sibling is not. So I don't debate you on that point at all.

But it really comes down to this: will your wife feel as invested in doing this form of personal charity as you are? That is the bottom line.
You're exactly right. My purpose in coming here was to brainstorm on anything I can do while we still have time to warm my wife up to it--not to solicit opinions on the situation as a whole, which is what this thread has become. A lot can change in a few years (which may even make this all a moot point), but there simply may be nothing. And I'm going to have to be OK with that.

My wife was in a similar situation not so long ago.

Last edited by cx5122; 05-06-2017 at 09:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 09:18 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,035 times
There are many American citizens who have the same hardships that you describe this young girl will have. Many Americans go without health insurance, cars, college, etc often due to lack of opportunities and money, so for a different reason; but the end result is the same. Hardship! Immigrants are not the only people who suffer in this world. BTW, my spouse is an immigrant, he got his citizenship through marriage to me.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
There are many American citizens who have the same hardships that you describe this young girl will have. Many Americans go without health insurance, cars, college, etc often due to lack of opportunities and money, so for a different reason; but the end result is the same. Hardship! Immigrants are not the only people who suffer in this world. BTW, my spouse is an immigrant, he got his citizenship through marriage to me.
You're not wrong (about hardship more generally). My point is: if we can help her have a better life, why is it wrong of me to want to help someone who got into this through no fault of her own? Unlike giving money to charity, we can profoundly help someone we already know.

All parties have to be on board with it, of course.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:27 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
OP you're wasting your time with this crowd. Good luck to you. I think you should try. I imagine it is no fun to come into young adulthood as an undocumented.

Pop back in sometime and let us know what happened.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:32 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
I'm only going to discuss finances.

Your biological child is very young. How would you feel if turns out that you and your wife can not afford to have another child because you have adopted this child? Frankly, hubby and I would have loved to have a third child but we simply could not afford it. And, I know many couples that have come to the same conclusion.

Many expenses are now going to be increased because of having a second child, such as vacations and travel.

How would you feel if you and your wife have to get second jobs or postpone retirement because of the college expenses of your adopted child? (Those are very common experiences among my friends).

How would your biological children feel about sharing their inheritance with an adopted child?

And, many more financial things from health insurance to school trips.

IMHO, I believe that you really did not consider all of the ramifications of this plan. If my husband had suggested something like this when our first child was a toddler I would have seriously wondered if he had completely lost his mind. Now, if your family was complete, and you have saved enough to fund your retirements, their college educations and had a healthy reserve fund for emergencies, maybe it would work out. But right now you seem to be glossing over any financial issues. Sometimes parents whose children are grown and have left the house can adopt and provide for their own retirement as well as the expenses of more children or parents who have extremely high incomes can easily pay for college.

Have you even checked into how much would be your recommended family contribution to her college expenses? When my daughter was in college my hubby was permanently disabled and I had a teacher's salary and our family contribution, at a state college, was expected to be almost half of my take-home pay per year. I will be in my early 70s when I finally pay off all of the Parent Plus loans that I took out to help our children with their college expenses. And our children will be in their mid to late 30s when they pay off their student loans.

Last edited by germaine2626; 05-06-2017 at 09:41 PM..

Old 05-06-2017, 09:35 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cx5122 View Post
You're exactly right. My purpose in coming here was to brainstorm on anything I can do while we still have time to warm my wife up to it--not to solicit opinions on the situation as a whole, which is what this thread has become. A lot can change in a few years (which may even make this all a moot point), but there simply may be nothing. And I'm going to have to be OK with that.

My wife was in a similar situation not so long ago.
So, was your wife adopted by someone?

Old 05-06-2017, 09:42 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I'm only going to discuss finances.

Your biological child is very young. How would you feel if turns out that you and your wife can not afford to have another child because you have adopted this child? Frankly, hubby and I would have loved to have a third child but we simply could not afford it. And, I know many couples that have come to the same conclusion.

Many expenses are now going to be increased because of having a second child, such as vacations and travel.

How would you feel if you and your wife have to get second jobs or postpone retirement because of the college expenses of your adopted child? (Those are very common experiences among my friends).

How would your biological children feel about sharing their inheritance with an adopted child?

IMHO, I believe that you really did not consider all of the ramifications of this plan. If my husband had suggested something like this when our first child was a toddler I would have seriously wondered if he had completely lost his mind. Now, if your family was complete, and you have saved enough to fund your retirements, their college educations and had a healthy reserve fund for emergencies, maybe it would work out. But right now you seem to be glossing over any financial issues. Sometimes parents whose children are grown and have left the house can adopt and provide for their own retirement as well as the expenses of more children or parents who have extremely high incomes can easily pay for college. Have you even checked into how much would be your recommended family contribution to her college expenses? When my daughter was in college my hubby was permanently disabled and I had a teacher's salary and our family contribution, at a state college, was expected to be almost half of my take-home pay.
I think this is a good point. As an aside, many adoptees are beneficiaries of free instate college tuition. Not dispositive on the issue of finances, but -

Old 05-06-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
I think this is a good point. As an aside, many adoptees are beneficiaries of free instate college tuition. Not dispositive on the issue of finances, but -
Of course that's a consideration. Without going into more detail, we're young and could retire now if we wanted to. We're good on the finance side. I sold a company.

So, no, I haven't lost my mind in fantasy land.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:18 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,145,874 times
If this is a true scenario OP, it's obvious you have a weird obsession with these other people's kids that is not normal. You can claim it's all due to a benevolent heart but it sounds to me you have some sort of infatuation with the teen girl that is not healthy. Justify it all you want, make your wife out to be the bad guy, but most here can see through your excuses.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:30 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
So you come on here wanting to know how you can convince your wife that this adoption is a good thing to do. Really?

How does the adoption benefit your family ? - Your family is your wife and child. They get nothing out of it. Your daughter loses half of her inheritance . Your wife is already upset at the attention you give this girl. She's probably wondering about your increasing interest in the kid if she lives with you.

Bringing a teen age girl into your home that you admit you " adore " is never going to work with your wife.
This can cause some very serious marital problems. It seems to me that you need to put your marriage first.

By the way, 12 states & DC permit undocumented aliens the right to drive. Perhaps you should try to convince the other family to move somewhere their daughter will be able to drive.

Last edited by willow wind; 05-06-2017 at 10:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting