Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2017, 08:40 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
That's just crazy and very close minded.
Yeah it is, isn't it? That's how far we've sunk as a culture and a society. It is now considered unthinkable to run your life well. To focus and execute an organized purposeful life? Ridiculous! We can't expect that.

We need to be "open" minded to dysfunction and destruction. After all, we're ONLY human!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 08:40 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
Where i live a decent daycare is around 2k.i know some who pay more. People always say well it's your kids you're supposed to want the best and this is just how much it costs. Who came up with these rates?

Old 05-11-2017, 08:46 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Seems to me as if daycare should be one service that should be free and funded by the government. If they can spend billions on killing people that pose no threat to us, surely they could fund something that actually matters.
No.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:47 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,050,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Where i live a decent daycare is around 2k.i know some who pay more. People always say well it's your kids you're supposed to want the best and this is just how much it costs. Who came up with these rates?
The market. If nobody would pay it, they wouldn't charge that much.

Old 05-11-2017, 08:48 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I'm not ready and I've never been ready for more war mongering. I have no sway over any president nor do I have sway over the budget. They all are pretty war happy no matter what party they claim to represent.

Communist countries have provided food and housing for all and generally not with good results.

No, I don't support subsidized preschool for all. Play is necessary for kids 5 and under, preschool is not. As a mom, I know how to setup playdates. I'm good.
Then you should ask yourself why other developed countries invest heavily in highly subsidized pre-school and daycare. There is a reason for that you know. And other countries are following suit. It tends to be the least corrupt and most enlightened countries that do this. America now has one of the lowest female labor force participation rates in the developed world. It will continue to fall going forward at this rate if we dont start addressing the needs of ordinary Americans instead of only addressing the needs of the ruling donor class who always demand the holy trinity of more war, more taxbreaks for the super rich and deregulation of Wall Street which leads to future crashes.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:02 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,322,067 times
I dont think daycare should be government subsidized, but why not have it work the same way public schools do?

Old 05-11-2017, 10:39 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Because public schools work so well?

What do you want to bet that the same people who complain about those on welfare and food stamps are probably the ones who want free child care?

My considerations for not getting a dog are all the expenses I know I can't currently afford. So I don't have a dog. I know anyone can make a mistake and end up with a kid, but if someone is thinking about having a child, who is going to take care of that child should be part of the discussion.

Just because someone wants a child and thinks children are the best things on earth since sliced bread doesn't mean child care is going to be financed by the government anytime soon. Anyone who has a kid and is banking on free child care is very shortsighted. Whether child care should or shouldn't be free, the current reality right now is that it isn't and all the wishing isn't going to make it so.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:53 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
But it is true. A woman MUST choose between a career and a family. If she wants to do either competently. Children require full time parental involvement and should not be in day care at all ever. They should be raised by mom full time until school starts, and then a part-time job could be entertained as long as it takes place only while the kids are asleep or in school. Even then a bad idea because a job eats up valuable energy and will leave you too fatigued to pay proper focused attention to your kids.

That's life. You can't have everything. You have to choose. If you have a career, you shouldn't have kids. If you have kids, you shouldn't have a career. That's the way it is for a human being. Energy and time are limited, and either activity done right consumes all of both.

By the way, for all the feminazis, you can go ahead and reverse the roles if you wish, dad can be at home without the career and mom can be on the job. The argument remains exactly the same. So do me a favor and just stuff it with the fake phony feminazi snowflake trigger bullschit.
I hate to tell you this, but I could be considered a "feminazi" as you call it, but I have to agree with what you say. A lot of us would like a lot of things, but we can't have them, so we make do the best we can. If you can't afford to have a child, you can't afford to have a child. If you want to be a stay at home mom and you can't afford to do that, them's the breaks. That's just the way it is in life.

Having said that, I don't feel ALL women need to be stay at home moms to raise the best children. SOME women can work and run a household - both of them equally well. SOME women can afford a child, but don't want to be a full time SAHM, so they put their child in child care if they can afford to do so. And many of those children turn out OK.

Marc, what you're saying is fine as long as it's your opinion, but watch out for the "shoulds". You don't have the right to tell other parents what they "should" do with their lives or with their kids.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:55 PM

68 posts, read 115,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
You can get daycare vouchers if you meet the income guidelines.

Otherwise, stay at home. Hire a nanny. Have a friend/family do it.

Day care subsidies for low income workers still require the workers to pay a portion out of pocket. For people making 7-15/hr this amount is often so high as to make working not worth it.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:23 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,022,236 times
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting