Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 11:01 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
My daughter would have died of embarrassment if I'd told her teachers. And our schools don't have nurses. Wouldn't have told them, either.

I made sure she had ready access to products, and reminded her to keep something in her backpack in a little pocket (so it wouldn't fall out if she was getting something else out). She never had any major problems.

One thing we came up against was a few months into her getting periods, her class went to a waterslide park for a year end party, and of course, it happened at the wrong time. That was tough. I bought her some junior tampons and she practiced with them the night before. I was a wreck the whole day, but she had no issues. whew.
Well you don't tell the kid you told them! Its all on the DL. With my daughter so young, I wanted to make sure she had at school support if she had trouble. I didn't tell her teacher...its a guy and...I dunno. Just didn't want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 11:15 AM

510 posts, read 500,123 times
Grades 6-8 is prime puberty time so nothing is out of the ordinary there. People just go through puberty at different rates. One kid in the class will start menstruating at age 10 and another one will start at age 15. Likewise boys will start filling out at different rates, typically around 13 but it isn't unheard of to start at age 11 either. My husband didn't hit his growth spurt until he was 16, and wasn't too happy about it being that late either.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,261,525 times
Quote:
My daughter would have died of embarrassment if I'd told her teachers. And our schools don't have nurses. Wouldn't have told them, either.

I made sure she had ready access to products, and reminded her to keep something in her backpack in a little pocket (so it wouldn't fall out if she was getting something else out). She never had any major problems.

One thing we came up against was a few months into her getting periods, her class went to a waterslide park for a year end party, and of course, it happened at the wrong time. That was tough. I bought her some junior tampons and she practiced with them the night before. I was a wreck the whole day, but she had no issues. whew.
I'm hesitant to let my daughter try tampons. She asked me about Diva cups but man I am not prepared to help her with either of those options. Pads are just so much easier at her age.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:51 PM

1,299 posts, read 822,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
I'm hesitant to let my daughter try tampons. She asked me about Diva cups but man I am not prepared to help her with either of those options. Pads are just so much easier at her age.
Yes, I was hesitant, too. I hadn't planned on going that route right away. But in my daughter's case, she would have had to miss the day at the waterslides and pretend to be sick, or tell everyone why she wasn't going in the water. Neither of those were things she wanted to do, and she was willing to give it a shot.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:14 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,261,525 times
Quote:
Yes, I was hesitant, too. I hadn't planned on going that route right away. But in my daughter's case, she would have had to miss the day at the waterslides and pretend to be sick, or tell everyone why she wasn't going in the water. Neither of those were things she wanted to do, and she was willing to give it a shot.
If my daughter asks i'll buy her some to try. For now, we just have to plan around both of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting