Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 09:48 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,132,877 times

Advertisements

wrt kids: When in doubt, say yes. When challenged that she almost never said yes to me, she replied, I was never in doubt. Oy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 11:30 AM

32,509 posts, read 47,521,327 times
My mother's advice was so consistently bad that whenever I had a difficult choice, I'd ask myself what would my mother do? Then I could eliminate that option from consideration.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:35 AM

2,437 posts, read 2,722,052 times
My mom is full of “Mom-isms”. My favorite are the ones she has repeated my whole life, “What other people think about you is none of your business @ and “They talk about you, they leave someone else alone”. I’m not overly concerned with others opinions of me.

Old 04-28-2019, 08:59 AM

801 posts, read 610,291 times
"If it's not put down in writing, they don't mean it."

"Where's your paper trail?"

"Shoulders back and let your spine fall straight down."

"I know these rules seem silly but the people who are really in charge always notice those who follow them." (Referring to posture, table manners, introductions, thank-you notes, being able to write letters properly, followup, and other etiquette-related things.)

"Get comfortable saying 'No' and leave it sitting alone, by itself."

My mother appears to be a lovely woman - beautiful and happy and kind - to everyone but her family. She isn't even harsh; she is SEVERE. But, she is absolutely correct on those things above, even though it was hard to admit, at first. :P 400 years of New-England, WASP-y poise: cold, rigid, and always with the air of having complete command of every situation. I have softened this a bit... keep the etiquette but with warmth and flexibility with loved ones.

Old 04-28-2019, 10:28 AM

2,437 posts, read 2,722,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
"If it's not put down in writing, they don't mean it."

"Where's your paper trail?"

"Shoulders back and let your spine fall straight down."

"I know these rules seem silly but the people who are really in charge always notice those who follow them." (Referring to posture, table manners, introductions, thank-you notes, being able to write letters properly, followup, and other etiquette-related things.)

"Get comfortable saying 'No' and leave it sitting alone, by itself."

My mother appears to be a lovely woman - beautiful and happy and kind - to everyone but her family. She isn't even harsh; she is SEVERE. But, she is absolutely correct on those things above, even though it was hard to admit, at first. :P 400 years of New-England, WASP-y poise: cold, rigid, and always with the air of having complete command of every situation. I have softened this a bit... keep the etiquette but with warmth and flexibility with loved ones.
This reminds me of another of mom’s isms- “No is a complete sentence.”

Old 04-28-2019, 10:41 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,959,953 times
This sounds terrible but I can’t remember a single, sensible piece of advice my mother ever gave me.

She must have done, but it is entirely possible I was not paying attention.

I do remember being admonished many times to “just be quiet,” “don’t mention a word about it,” “don’t say anything.”

Not exactly advice, but certainly a theme. In retrospect I realize that most if what I did as a child embarrassed my mother.

Old 04-29-2019, 08:06 AM

88,119 posts, read 83,961,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This sounds terrible but I can’t remember a single, sensible piece of advice my mother ever gave me.

She must have done, but it is entirely possible I was not paying attention.

I do remember being admonished many times to “just be quiet,” “don’t mention a word about it,” “don’t say anything.”

Not exactly advice, but certainly a theme. In retrospect I realize that most if what I did as a child embarrassed my mother.
Yes, that could be painful. My mother was the same way about me when I was little. I know now that I just reminded her how much like her I was--awkward, homely, too tall, insecure, sad--and she didn't like looking at it.

But one thing I remember her saying always worked out for me. "Give someone enough rope, and they'll hang themselves."

That served me well when someone was being obnoxious at work, particularly the type of person who tries to build themselves up by stepping on others. I found that sitting back and letting them fully be the jackass they were eventually backfired on them, and they were gone. It happened more times than I can count.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:07 PM

2,242 posts, read 1,638,378 times
“Love many, trust few . . . always paddle your own canoe”.

“Go study - nothing is more important than that”.

“Nobody can ever take your education away”.

My mother always wanted us to be able to be independent and self-supporting no matter what. She went to college during the Depression herself encouraged by her own mother.

She died at age 95 and I miss her every day. Thanks, Mom, love you.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:28 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,015,569 times
My mother told me to marry my husband when I had cold feet 3 days before the wedding. 22 years and counting....

Old 06-08-2019, 03:50 AM

301 posts, read 516,702 times
Do *not* have a child to save your marriage. The best advice I ever got from my mother.

Said my mother, who had a child at 19 to "win back" her high school boyfriend husband. He was notorious for cheating on her, including being found by my uncle with another floozie the night before her wedding. She opted to marry him anyway, even after her own brother warned her not to marry him. They were only married a short time when she discovered their marriage had changed nothing--he had a roving eye. She got pregnant on purpose to "domesticate" him. Tactical error on her part. They divorced not long after my sister was born. He had nothing to do with his own daughter.

My sister spent a lot of time and tears pining for a (bio) father who didn't want anything to do with her, while she had a "Dad" (my mother's second husband and my bio father) who raised her.

I could write quite a tome on my sister and Dad's relationship, but I hope I provided enough info to help anyone considering this option to nip it in the bud immediately. A baby will *not* save a relationship that is already broken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting