Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 04:57 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The whole concept is bizarre to me. I don't expect cards, gifts, or Mother's Day wishes from anyone except my own children, or, when they were too young, my husband. It would never in a million years occur to me to even send a text on Mother's Day, let alone a phone call or card or gift, to my sisters, sisters-in-law, and nieces who are mothers, as some people here have said they do. .
I don't do this, either. I know a lot of moms, and if I had to buy gifts for all of them on mother's day, I'd go broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 05:01 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
The whole concept is bizarre to me. I don't expect cards, gifts, or Mother's Day wishes from anyone except my own children, or, when they were too young, my husband. It would never in a million years occur to me to even send a text on Mother's Day, let alone a phone call or card or gift, to my sisters, sisters-in-law, and nieces who are mothers, as some people here have said they do.

I would be concerned that for the OP to make a big to-do about her stepdaughter's "first mother's day" is going to lead to her expecting tribute on that day every year, or else her feelings will be hurt, because she is that type of person. I know people like that. They expect a party thrown for them when they announce they're pregnant, again when they reveal the gender, again when the baby is born, and then you have their own birthday and the baby's birthday which you have to to fuss over every year. And now Mother's Day too? Good grief, enough is enough.
I also had a stepmother, since I was a young child, that I always acknowledged with a card or gift on mother's day. When I was a teen, I would make sure my younger half siblings always went out and got her a card, especially as my dad was not always able to do so. When I was a first time mom, she sent me an awesome gift and card for my first mother's day. It meant a lot to me that she acknowledged me and her grandaughter in such a way, and she even mentioned in the card how much she appreciated that I took her kids to get her a present. It is hard maintaining a stepparent/stepchild relationship, if a card or gift in return helps an otherwise thoughtful stepdaughter get over hurt feelings so be it.

Last edited by lkb0714; 05-15-2017 at 05:39 PM..

Old 05-15-2017, 05:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If the child is too young, then the husband/father should do something to honor the mother of his child. Why would it fall on the step mother who lives in another state?
Well, there was a bit of sarcasm in my post about the one year old, but really, the child is going to be too young for many years to get a gift. I would presume the child's father did do something to honor the mother. However, many of us have posted that it is entirely appropriate for others to do so as well.

That said, I do think the young mom was rude for letting it be known that she expected a gift. I think it would be good to know exactly what transpired, just how the step-mom found out about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
". Miss Manners is braced for the onslaught of letters she receives after every Mother’s Day from disgruntled mothers who expected to be paid tribute not only by their children, but by nearly everyone else, including their own mothers.

Ladies, this is unseemly. Mother’s Day is for children to show appreciation of their mothers. (Unless the mothers object, as Miss Manners’ own dear mother emphatically did. Her position was that acknowledging it would concede that there are 364 days in the year when children do not have to pay tribute"

I agree completely with Miss Manners, quoted above.

I have noticed that some of the people I have known in my life who brag about the great things they do on the Hallmark holidays have sometimes appeared to me to be less than generous in their actions towards their family members on those other 364 days of the year.
I find Miss Manners a bit of a prig, except when I agree with her, and then of course she's totally correct!

And Mother's Day is not a "Hallmark holiday". Are you aware of the origins of Mother's Day? Are you aware that many other countries celebrate such a day as well? It was basically started to improve maternal and child health.
Mother's Day 2017: Surprising History of the Holiday | Time.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother%27s_Day (List of countries with Mother's Day)

Old 05-15-2017, 05:56 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,369,217 times
Expect? No. My mother's always sent cards with money and/or a gift for mother's day. This seems to be the norm in my family.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:56 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
My vote is for getting something for your own mother. Your mother-in-law will fall into that category but that will be from the couple. Dads should always help their kids get something for Mom, even if they're divorced; if Dad's not around someone else should fill that role until the kids are old enough to handle it themselves. Stepmothers who were around when the kids were children should continue to get something but no need to send a Mother's Day anything to dad's third wife you've only met twice. It's nice, but not required to acknowledge mothers "downstream" when you're their kids grandparent.

Whether "something" indicates a call, a card, candy, a cruise, a Cadillac or a castle in the Alps depends on what is customary and affordable for the family involved.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:12 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,833 times
I think it would have been nice to acknowledge her first Mother's Day with a heartfelt card or thoughtful, meaningful gift. Nothing outrageous, just words of wisdom, or a note of encouragement, or some little token. Something to acknowledge that this was a big day for her.

But I think it's a huge deal that you didn't. It doesn't sound like she'll harbor a grudge. Just that she wanted you to know she was disappointed. Hopefully that's the end of it.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:32 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,669,013 times
Quote:
The whole concept is bizarre to me. I don't expect cards, gifts, or Mother's Day wishes from anyone except my own children, or, when they were too young, my husband. It would never in a million years occur to me to even send a text on Mother's Day, let alone a phone call or card or gift, to my sisters, sisters-in-law, and nieces who are mothers, as some people here have said they do.

I would be concerned that for the OP to make a big to-do about her stepdaughter's "first mother's day" is going to lead to her expecting tribute on that day every year, or else her feelings will be hurt, because she is that type of person. I know people like that. They expect a party thrown for them when they announce they're pregnant, again when they reveal the gender, again when the baby is born, and then you have their own birthday and the baby's birthday which you have to to fuss over every year. And now Mother's Day too? Good grief, enough is enough.
Bizarre to me also and I agree with you - enough already! I guess it shows how different families can be. Some are much gift oriented to the point of greed IMO. I also think it is a generational thing as the "older" generation seemed to be much more low-key in their expectations.

OP, you verbally acknowledged your step-daughter on Mother's Day. I only gifted my own mother on Mother's Day and my husband gifted his. My children always make my Mother's Day special, as my husband did when they were babies. It would never occur to me to recognize sisters, nieces, etc. - good heavens, where does it stop?

Old 05-15-2017, 09:20 PM

214 posts, read 301,116 times
Count me in as another one of those who doesn't get the gift thing. Even for my own self - my son would ask me what I wanted when he was younger and I explained to him that the only thing I'd like was for him to be nice and well behaved (his normal self, thankfully). Now (he's 14) he doesn't bother asking if I want something, he just tells me Happy Mother's Day and is his normal, nice self all day. I called my mom (in another state) to wish her a Happy Mother's Day and my husband called his mom (who lives nearby and we see weekly) to wish her a Happy Mother's Day.

I'm 37, so I'm probably not considered an "older generation" but this whole gift for everything on every holiday for everyone has gotten, imo, out of hand.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:51 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The above is true, but the stepdaughter has already included the stepmother (who is not her mother of grandmother) by getting her gifts/cards on mother's day. Given that the stepmother already accepted gifts which are outside the most traditional definition of the holiday, it is not surprising that the daughter would expect her to participate as well.
Except a stepmother does fall within the catagory of mother's day. Especially a stepmother who has been in the person's life since childhood.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:52 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,833 times
I don't have strong feelings about this either way. To each their own. BUT...I don't really see how one's daughter/stepdaughter falls into "everyone" "every person you know" "gifts for all" category several of y'all have mentioned...?

This one daughter has their one grandchild. It doesn't seem like an extreme stretch to have sent her a family photo from her childhood in a nice frame, or a spa gift card, or a family recipe collection, or cozy pair of slippers, with a sincere and heartfelt note expressing parental pride and joy at the opportunity to share this holiday together now that daughter has joined the ranks of mothers.

Not necessary, but not crazy either. This isn't "anybody and everybody," this is OP and husband's daughter/stepdaughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting