Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 08:06 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
<snip>

If you watch the Bill Nye videos, is is perfectly OK to bully a heterosexual person into engaging into an orgy, through the use of a "cute" cartoon of ice cream cones, or just "give someone a handy" or engage in "butt stuff," because well, "evolution" (sex junk video). And I am not making any of those up, watch the videos and see for yourself.

<snip>
You missed the point of the Bill Nye videos. The idea is that conversion therapy is not ok no matter if you are trying to bully a gay person into heterosexuality or a straight person into homosexuality.

I have seen these videos several times and you really miss the fact that what Nye is saying is that being yourself is ok.

Note that the new Bill Nye show is not intended for kids, but for adults.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:13 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
NEW YORK (AP) — It takes a certain something to be a good storyteller: enthusiasm, timing and a flair for the dramatic. Performers at a children's story hour at a New York City library have all that and then some — they're drag queens.

Library has drag queens for story hour - Story | WNYW
whats the problem?

Old 05-18-2017, 10:04 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
"News, Library has drag queens for story hour"

Well, I was going to equate it to seeing street performers, no big deal. However, after looking at the photo, I changed my mind. That's a bit too much, I'd rather my kids not be exposed.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:17 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
A clown is a costume. A wedding dress serves a purpose. A doctor is a profession. None of which have anything to do with drag queens.

Please watch the videos. Let me know if you agree with them. I am curious as to your response.

Look at all the recent covers of mainstream magazines, including National Geographic, which put out a special issue JUST to discuss transgenderism among CHILDREN. Time, Newsweek, Vogue, etc. all within weeks of each other. Why? Did they all *just decide* to do the same story? Or is it an effort?

The NCAA, which plays in countries such as North Korea and China with no issues regarding the atrocious disregard of human rights, refuses to play in NC because of bathrooms? Does that make sense from a human perspective? Why were they taking a stand on bathrooms, but nary a peep re North Korea and China? Again: Does this make SENSE?

Ask yourself: Why is all of this MAINSTREAM? For Example: According to census data, Asians are about 5% to 6% of the population. Why isn't an Asian on every single TV show? Why aren't magazine covers featuring Asians? Why don't libraries have Asian Story Hour? They make up more of the population.

People need to start thinking for themselves.
I wish there were more asians represented in all of those things. And why do you think you have the right to tell people which human rights they are supposed to care about? What have you done recently to help those in North Korea? To make people represent asians in a more realistic way and to abandon the harmful "model immigrant" stereotype? Because why is it the job of one minority to stand up for another instead of the,selves?

Old 05-19-2017, 05:20 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) — It takes a certain something to be a good storyteller: enthusiasm, timing and a flair for the dramatic. Performers at a children's story hour at a New York City library have all that and then some — they're drag queens.

The kids will love it. At that age, they likely haven't yet been subjected to any DRAG QUEENS ARE TO BE LOATHED AND AVOIDED indoctrination, and so have no idea that they're supposed to marginalize and ostracize them. And without being told they have to act that way, they would never do so. That sort of dislike is not innate - it must be taught.

And I'm sure a few parents are going to get right on that indoctrination, now that they've been alerted to the drag queen boogeymen...

Old 05-19-2017, 05:53 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,016,239 times
Quote:

I'll be there !! 2 of my cousins are LONG time pro drag queens .One since 81 and another since the late 70's ( great days there) I cannot tell you how much money they have raised over the years with their shows for old folks, poor folks , children, homeless , individual people that are sick or need help They both were involved in raising me and the ONLY family members willing to help me with my kids from babies on up - very grateful .

God I had a brutal divorce in 1990 and one of these cousins stayed with me THREE MONTHS 200 miles away from his own home and helped me get better , back on my feet and took care of the kids. I was in BAD shape and alone when he arrived . He also had to work during that time so he kept on doing shows in my city- he is somewhat of a legend in the Texas drag community so that was not difficult . Not one person was harmed and the kids loved it . Everyone turned out as straight as they were wired to be - you can't MAKE anyone gay , that is so old .

To those bashing- these are female impersonators. My cousins nor anyone in the drag community try to convert anyone ,much less a child, that is silly - they are entertainers and work hard to get the looks and personas down . Usually while holding down a full time job .

Old 05-19-2017, 05:57 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The problem is by participating, parents are condoning such behavior. Children will learn that it's ok for boys to dress like girls, behave outrageously and expect to be accepted and celebrated for flying a freak flag.
All of those things are okay. Everyone should be accepted and celebrated.

People who least expect it might have a child who ends up being gay, transgender, or cross-dressing. Kids who are told that it's wrong and an abomination and unacceptable are at risk for committing suicide as teens or young adults.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:41 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You have a problem with adults who indulge their fetishes (consensually)?

Ok, so then it is somehow enriching to expose children to men who dress in drag to depict grotesque caricatures of femininity?

I am not opposed to drag queens. But to a young child, it might be hard for them to understand that drag queens are a complex commentary on gender and the female identity. Much different than homosexuality or gender dysphoria which themselves can be confusing for a child.
They are really only confusing to a child when the adults wrap it in weirdness. As a trans person himself, my son has never been confused. Bummed out at how unaccepted it is. But never confused. Oh, they like to dress up in over the top women's clothing and wear too much makeup. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Gay isn't a gender

It's a sexual orientation.

So just to be clear, you believe you CHOSE to be heterosexual? How old were you? You keep talking about critical thinking skills, which most children don't acquire until the are able to reason abstractly in the mid teens. Is that when you chose straight? Were you equally attracted to boys and girls but "critically thought" your way to choosing to be straight at that time?
What person would choose to be homosexual with all the grief they get?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The problem is by participating, parents are condoning such behavior. Children will learn that it's ok for boys to dress like girls, behave outrageously and expect to be accepted and celebrated for flying a freak flag.
Ha! My brother-in-law deals with people who think s/he (hasn't made that determination yet) is a freak. What do you do if your kid IS trans? Consider him or her a freak?

ETA: My preference would be to help change the attitudes of people who think that people who are different than them are freaks. Not too long ago, many people thought black people were inferior to whites. And some minds have been changed on that matter. It can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting