Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 05:00 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is not true. My mother was born in 1932, she didn't have to work, she was loved and cherished, they went to the beach. She was kissed and cuddled, had dolls and toys, etc. If you lived on a farm you probably had to work, but the notion that children weren't cherished, that somehow today's parents love their kids more than our grandparents did is ridiculous.
My mom had chores, even when very little. She had to collect the eggs. And those hens laid them all sorts of places except the chicken coop...

But she felt that was the right way to raise a child. Doing those chores made you a part of the family, and you pulled your weight.

My sisters did the same with their kids. My two year old niece had to fold the dinner napkins and push the chairs in. She didn't do it well, but that wasn't the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 05:37 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My mom had chores, even when very little. She had to collect the eggs. And those hens laid them all sorts of places except the chicken coop...

But she felt that was the right way to raise a child. Doing those chores made you a part of the family, and you pulled your weight.

My sisters did the same with their kids. My two year old niece had to fold the dinner napkins and push the chairs in. She didn't do it well, but that wasn't the point.
My 2 year old grandson is expected to carry his dishes to the sink, put his toys away etc. I have no doubt as he gets older he'll have more "family" chores as well. He also had a smash-cake and professional photos several times throughout his first year. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm not really getting where this is all going. There are trendy things that this generation of parents do that we didn't. Just like we did things our parents didn't. And?

Old 05-25-2017, 05:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
My 2 year old grandson is expected to carry his dishes to the sink, put his toys away etc. I have no doubt as he gets older he'll have more "family" chores as well. He also had a smash-cake and professional photos several times throughout his first year. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm not really getting where this is all going. There are trendy things that this generation of parents do that we didn't. Just like we did things our parents didn't. And?
I don't understand it either. I don't see how a photo shoot at age 1 turns the kid into a monster who runs around restaurants.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:40 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,695,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
It is just me, or are kids these days out of control?
It's just you.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:16 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Regarding the smash cakes, my daughter wanted so badly to buy a Mother's Day cake from the school, even though I didn't want to eat it because so many birthday celebrations are in May. But because I knew she didn't want to get left behind in class, we let her buy it and then let her smash her face in it on Mother's Day.

Hey, I am conservative when it comes to children listening but liberal in other areas.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:16 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Regarding the smash cakes, my daughter wanted so badly to buy a Mother's Day cake from the school, even though I didn't want to eat it because so many birthday celebrations are in May. But because I knew she didn't want to get left behind in class, we let her buy it and then let her smash her face in it on Mother's Day.

Hey, I am conservative when it comes to children listening but liberal in other areas.
I'm confused? Is this sarcasm?

A smash cake is something for infants...?

Old 05-26-2017, 11:09 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

Chores are not the same as the poster implied in her post, that before WWII children were little more than chattle. Maybe true if you go back to the 1600's or something when you had to have 10 kids to get 3 who lived past childhood, and people were very poor, but to imply in the 20th century kids were still looked at that way? Just from knowing my own grandparents and parents, I continue to dispute that. My grandmother was born in 1906 but she loved and cherished her kids.

I do agree people parent differently and are way more permissive now, but to equate that with loving their kids more than prior generations, is just not accurate in the slightest IMO. How did we get to letting your kid run around the restaurant tripping the wait staff means you love your kid more than the parent who raises their child with manners and structure? The EASY thing to do is give in and let them run around, it's much harder to actually turn the car around and go home then to give in.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:05 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I'm confused? Is this sarcasm?

A smash cake is something for infants...?
Infants? No. My daughter is already attending school.

It was not sarcasm. I was pointing out I am conservative in some areas, like children listening to their parents, and liberal in others, my daughter can choose what to do with her face as long as it is not harmful.

I didn't want the cake so I let her do what she wanted with it within reason. For example, no throwing it or feeding it to the pets or eating it all.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:37 AM

19 posts, read 10,831 times
I don't doubt all the bad experiences that people are seeing. Still, I must be lucky. I mostly see decently to well behaved kids. Really little kids can get crazy sometimes but usually I experience parents dealing with them.

Not for the extreme examples but for the day to day kind of interactions I often wonder how much the perception of kids is shaped by regular exposure to them, or lack of regular exposure. Kids are figuring life out on a daily basis. They will not get it right every time.

I am out and around to stores, restaurants, sports, plays, recitals and school events all the time with my own kids. One daughter is involved in performing arts and probably 90% of the kids I see there are really good kids. I coach or help coach 3 different sports for another daughter and I can say that most of the kids I know are hardworking, polite and just awesome people. Sure they are silly and loud sometimes. They can get frustrated and need help working through how to respond to situations. But the dozens of kids I know give me a lot hope for the future.

Last edited by sensibleman; 05-27-2017 at 06:56 AM..

Old 05-27-2017, 07:01 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Infants? No. My daughter is already attending school.

It was not sarcasm. I was pointing out I am conservative in some areas, like children listening to their parents, and liberal in others, my daughter can choose what to do with her face as long as it is not harmful.

I didn't want the cake so I let her do what she wanted with it within reason. For example, no throwing it or feeding it to the pets or eating it all.
Maybe this is what the OP is taking issue with.

So, it was no different than a regular cake, but she bought it for the purpose of smashing it, not eating it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting