U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:47 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,595,391 times

Advertisements

I had to rant! My ex husband owes me FORTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! And the state he's in (Michigan) is doing nothing! He has found that if he applies for Social Security Disabilty (and then works under the table) the state will not do anything to him when he doesn't pay. Then there's my husband who has always paid, even before we got it registered through the state (to protect us and prove he pays) and has been paying faithfully for years, and even pays half of all medical bills, and has always tried to do the right and honorable thing. Then the company he works for, shuts down with no warning, he can't find a job, so we are living on $158 a week (family of 8) and so he's missed a couple payments and now the cops are literally at our door every other week because we can't pay. He's not even behind ONE thousand dollars. We know he has the obligation to pay, he WANTS to pay, but yet we now have to hire an attorney because we have a court date (two days before Christmas) and Child Support Enforcement says if he's not paid up when we get to court, he'll go to jail until he pays.

I just don't get it! I've told them, get the money from my ex and give it to DH's ex. We aren't making it as it is, on the verge of eviction, car payments late, I don't even want to think about Christmas and they are threatening to throw him in jail and not the ex. Just doesn't make sense!

(Thanks for letting me vent)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2006, 09:53 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,440,518 times
In Missouri, if they are behind I think its 5k, they revoke their Drivers Lisence and put a warrant out for their arrest. It doesn't matter if they are on social security or not. I don't have any info on Michigan.. but you should contact your child support enforcer. They usually can set it up to automatically come out of the check he receives. Best of luck!

Old 12-05-2006, 10:40 AM

8,191 posts, read 27,519,205 times
You need to be at the Enforcement office every day. Be loud & noisy! Insist that they get money from your ex. Believe me, the mother of my husband's child is like that, and if we are late on 1 payment we start to get hate mail from the state. They can lien his property, revoke his driver's license, take any tax return money, put him in jail.

My sister in law's ex is on Michigan's top 10 list of dead beat dads. She does not make any noise, and they do nothing.

Old 12-05-2006, 10:52 AM

985 posts, read 2,554,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post
You need to be at the Enforcement office every day. Be loud & noisy! Insist that they get money from your ex. Believe me, the mother of my husband's child is like that, and if we are late on 1 payment we start to get hate mail from the state. They can lien his property, revoke his driver's license, take any tax return money, put him in jail.

My sister in law's ex is on Michigan's top 10 list of dead beat dads. She does not make any noise, and they do nothing.
I agree!!! I watched my sister go thru this. Do not stop getting what your kids need. Whatever it take yes be rentlentless!!!!! The day my sister brought her son's sneekers to my house and asked if I had glue that would hold them together until she got her next paycheck. I was so angry at her deadbeat husband. Good luck

Old 12-05-2006, 10:56 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,440,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evey View Post

My husband's ex girlfriend is just like that as well. The enforcement office messed up one month and only took half of his payment instead of the full amount.. We got a call the day he got paid with her screaming about how we were screwing her over. Then she called the enforcement office to tell them we were refusing pay.

But back to the topic, I don't see why he would not be in jail yet.. unless Michigan has some backwards laws or something.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:10 AM

4,781 posts, read 1,933,084 times
Do not let finances ever define your happiness or who you are . I have been there. About to loose it all. (My husband was out of work due to back surgery) Here is something that helped me through a hard time.'
Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow, will worry about itself, Each day has enough trouble of it's own.

With GOD all things are possible.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:23 PM

129 posts, read 439,592 times
I don't understand the reasoning for putting them in jail or taking their driver's licenses. I mean, if they aren't paying (without a good reason) these aren't going to make them pay. The state took my ex's license and then he just had an excuse not to go to work.There are some states that will send money to the custodial parents, but then they have to pay it back when the other parent starts sending money, which I think defeats the whole purpose. They should make the non custodial parent pay it back, by making them pick up trash along the roads or do some other menial work or community service. Make them do SOMETHING!

Old 12-05-2006, 01:38 PM

28 posts, read 111,644 times
I've wondered that,too! It seems like some of these guys (there are deadbeat MOMS,too) would prefer to sit in jail rather than pay for the children they helped create. My ex actually started a rumor he had been shot and killed so he didn't have to pay.

Old 12-05-2006, 01:45 PM

13,495 posts, read 33,488,269 times
Happee, since your ex is on disability, wouldn't that qualify for the children to also receive money from the disability plan of social security? Not sure what the laws are, but it shouldn't matter that the parents aren't living together. Have you checked into that?

Old 12-05-2006, 02:38 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,911,969 times
And my best friend's former wife here went to court and said that Dave (my friend) owed her $16,000 in back child support. She produced no proof, yet the court took her at word and hit Dave with garnishments which have now added up to the $16,000. In fact, he always paid the full amount and never skipped or was late. She lied. So he got a lawyer who took her to court and she was accused of making a false statement and accusation. It turned out she wanted the money for a stomach stapling surgery (she's huge) and her medical plan wouldn't pay for it. Guess how much the surgery was???? The case is still in court, but it looks like she'll have to pay Dave back, pay the legal and court costs, and she may even have to serve jail time for filing a false accusation -literally fraud. What we can't figure out is why the court acted against Dave only on her word and didn't require proof or documentation, or even investigate her claim that he'd skipped or withheld court ordered support? It goes both ways people, and despite those men who totally flake, the system is rigged against men. I'm sorry. There are scamming women out there too who use their children's child support for other things than supporting their children and are willing to lie and cheat to get more money. When the courts rule against her, I'm going to take Dave out for a celebratory dinner.

Last edited by MoMark; 12-05-2006 at 02:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or