Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 09:31 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly50 View Post
Thx for the responses. Just to clarify if we move we would support her if she chose to come with us. However, if she refuses to move with us, she's on her own until college, and we may make her take a gap year because she is immature and we dont want to waste our $. Your responses are helpful and we really appreciate that! I am so stressed out with her that I can barely function.
What will ease that stress the most? Moving? Telling yourself you'll stay for another year and then move? Staying? Do you have places in mind you want to move? Have you visited?

Our only child also just graduated and we're looking to move out of state in a couple of years. She is leaving town to go to college and I want to make sure she's settled and happy before we go, so we won't think about moving for at least another year. However, although we have tension in our relationship, it's not like what you described.

You've offered your daughter lots of good options but ultimately, you can't make her happy. Try to focus on making yourself happy.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:46 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,124,293 times
Quote:
Thx for the responses. Just to clarify if we move we would support her if she chose to come with us. However, if she refuses to move with us, she's on her own until college, and we may make her take a gap year because she is immature and we dont want to waste our $. Your responses are helpful and we really appreciate that! I am so stressed out with her that I can barely function.
Not a judgement or blame -- but why do you think your daughter is so hateful towards you? Is she hateful towards your husband? Has she always been willful? Angry?

Could something have happened to her that you are unaware of to cause her to behave this way? Is your daughter able to confide in you?

I have done a lot of volunteer work with children - mentoring, tutoring, etc. I have noticed when kids are going through tough times they tend to take it out on those closest to them. A lot of them are unwilling or unable to effectively communicate their issues with their parents.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:49 AM

10 posts, read 5,758 times
Her grades are fine but that's only part of the picture.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:02 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Her grades are fine but that's only part of the picture.
Can you explain what she has done (other than a typical teen attitude) that
would justify such drastic actions on your part.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:08 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
I was immature and had attitude galore in high school.
I am sure my parents wondered if paying for my college would be a waste of time.

I surprised them, stayed on the Deans List (the good one) got my undergraduate & masters and morphed into a decent adult.

Why not believe in her and see if college is the right environment to
help her mature?

Old 06-05-2017, 10:27 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
I feel ya! I wouldn't push a gap year, I would find a college that was a little more "hands on". We sent one to a catholic uni because they were very "hands on" the first 2 years when they had to live on campus. They had an advisor they met with every 2 weeks or even more and had actually qualified RAs. In a way it was a little more like boarding school.

She did quit (our foster kid) and then she was really on her own. She had to pay for most of the schooling through grants (that she had to pay back) and loans. So we weren't out a ton. But she wasn't mature enough to be fully trusted.

When she left school she made her way and is actually doing ok for herself.

I did ok in HS but was totally independent and very resistant to parenting. But I kicked butt in college. I needed to sink or swim and I loved having so much freedom that I actually became responsible. I turned out ok. I ended up having to leave college because my mom remarried and wouldn't give me her husband's financials (for grants and loans). But still managed to go back later when I was married.

Gap years worry me unless they are supervised by a parent because grown up life can hit hard. I think there are options where everyone will be happy and will give your daughter a good chance. But you know her best. The idea of just leaving...bothers me.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:29 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
I also think it could be helpful for you to go to a therapist and maybe get a plan of action for boundaires, maybe a behavior contract for college or something.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:44 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Do you have a reading comprehension issue??? When did I ever say or even imply I wanted to "walk away from being a parent"?????
Really?

She has told you she won't come with you. She is not yet 18 and hasn't gone to college and gotten into a dorm or some type of living situation yet. Yet here you are, stating you are ready to move without her.

That is pretty much the essence of walking away from parenting.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:49 AM

10 posts, read 5,758 times
"Won't come with us" is HER choice. She will be 18.We will support her if she comes with us, but if she refuses she's on her own by her own choice. So how is that not parenting?

Old 06-05-2017, 10:58 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
"Won't come with us" is HER choice. She will be 18.We will support her if she comes with us, but if she refuses she's on her own by her own choice. So how is that not parenting?
This right here says it all. You are telling us that your daughter hates you and you are done. You want to leave her behind, and it sounds like you are glad she doesn't want to come so you can make it her fault "by choice".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilly50
We want to leave the area after HS is over, and she is welcome to come with us but she doesn't want to. She hates us and had no use for us (we have been loving parents and have done nothing to deserve that). Would it be awful if we left anyway? It just doesn't seem right to leave her here. We have told her that if she doesn't come to live with us and chooses to stay here, we will not support her until she is in college (at which point we will pay her tuition room and board).
I also want to note that she has always been difficult and causes so much tension in our family. She is an only child. She has told me over and over that she hates me and talks abouy how wonderful all the other moms are. My hurt is indescribable, but I've also had enough.
Parenting is sticking with the child you decided to bring into this world, and doing what you signed up to do when you gave birth, and that's to make sure she becomes a responsible citizen that has some worth in society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting