Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 08:26 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,612 times

Advertisements

I notice my 8 year old nephew still sucks his fingers and is always sitting on someone's lap, usually his grandmother's. He's kind of an odd kid, never gets excited about much, kind of bratty. At my 1 yr old's bday party she got a little rocking horse and he kept riding on it. His parents said nothing, he looked huge and foolish on it and it was really starting to annoy me particularly because my daughter wanted to use it.

The lap thing seems babyish to me too mainly because he does it at parties and it seems like he should be more independent in a setting like this. Might be something he does when he gets tired....but again 8 seems for this.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:57 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,721,351 times
Kids are weird. Some 8 year olds are still snuggly. It's not really a problem. I sucked my thumb until I was 8, then had to have orthodontic work to fix the damage I did to my teeth. That's really up to his parents to worry about, though. Is this your sibling's child or your husband's sibling? If it's your sister or brother, you could mention the teeth thing. Otherwise I'd just leave it alone. I might ask my brother about something like that, but not my husband's siblings.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:09 AM

Oh im not going to say a word. I just think it looks silly but not a big problem. I know his parents are bothered by the finger sucking.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:10 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
I would, please, try to refrain from calling him all those names you just called him. His behaviors you explained is caused by sensory issues...which could be rooted in anything from autism spectrum disorder to trauma and 101 reasons in between. He has enough people in his life that think of him as weird and odd, he does not need his family jumping on that bandwagon. Embrace him for who he is. I would be willing to bet a lot of money that he is a pretty cool kid if you got to really know him.

The rocking horse likely was giving him much needed vestibular sensory input. Being held might also offer that (or safety if he is feeling like he is getting too much sensory input). Sucking on his fingers is likely linked to oral sensory seeking, or arrested development due to trauma (but still addressed the same way). Think about gifting him things that will help meet his oral and vestibular seeking needs. Here is a list The Ultimate List of Gifts for Sensory Seekers -

Old 06-07-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I notice my 8 year old nephew still sucks his fingers and is always sitting on someone's lap, usually his grandmother's. He's kind of an odd kid, never gets excited about much, kind of bratty. At my 1 yr old's bday party she got a little rocking horse and he kept riding on it. His parents said nothing, he looked huge and foolish on it and it was really starting to annoy me particularly because my daughter wanted to use it.

The lap thing seems babyish to me too mainly because he does it at parties and it seems like he should be more independent in a setting like this. Might be something he does when he gets tired....but again 8 seems for this.
All totally judgmental statements about this boy, in case you were wondering what I meant. Time to adjust your expectations of him and look for things you do like about him...

P.S. How would you feel if your sibling talked about your daughter in these terms?

Old 06-07-2017, 08:17 AM

One more thing, I often held all my kids on my lap (sensory, trauma and neuro-typical) at age 8. I still hold my 10 year old on my lap at times. There is nothing odd about an 8 year old sitting in a lap.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:23 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Sounds like he has a disability of some kind if his parents have not stopped him from displaying these behaviors by the age of 8.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:43 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
sounds like he has a disability of some kind if his parents have not stopped him from displaying these behaviors by the age of 8.
+1.

Or just crappy parenting.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Sounds like he has a disability of some kind if his parents have not stopped him from displaying these behaviors by the age of 8.
How do you go about stopping an 8 year old CHILD from "displaying" the behaviors of their disability?

Never mind, I don't want an answer...I just wanted to point out its an foolish comment

Old 06-07-2017, 08:45 AM

Apparently he does well in school...so it seems like that trumps everything. He also plays sports. If there's anything wrong no one has said anything to us. I don't think it's an autism thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting