Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 11:19 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,112 times

Advertisements

I'm ambidextrous at just about everything (not completely- I suck at throwing with my left hand and my right handed tennis is abysmal), but I have learned to do certain things with certain hands just for ease (e.g., cutting with my right since that's just easier). My husband is right handed and all our kids are right handed. I thought my middle kid might be heading in my direction because he used both hands equally until rather late in life (around K), but turns out he just had weaker fine motor and it took longer for him to develop the muscle strength to develop side dominance. My entire family (and my husband's) are all right-handed, though, so having a full-on lefty would have been fairly unexpected.

I would never have wanted to influence them either way, but I was a bit excited when I thought my son would be ambidextrous Growing up left-handed can be tricky in a righty's world, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 12:44 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
I'm a lefty, but pretty much do everything but write and eat with my right hand. I didn't influence my kids - both are righthanded.

Recently I was in a meeting with 4 people at work and we all realized at the same time that all five of us were lefties! We had a brief moment of "Woo us!" to celebrate.

It's the small things.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:06 PM

554 posts, read 683,719 times
I'm pretty sure my dad tried to "switch" me as a child. He grew up left-handed in the 50s when it was really a pain. While he swears up and down he didn't do anything to influence me, I do EVERYTHING left-handed (and left-legged) except for writing on paper. If I have to write on a dry erase or chalkboard (or even on overhead transparencies for you old folks like me!), I write left-handed, but on paper, I use my right hand. Suspicious? You decide

Old 07-07-2017, 11:52 PM

797 posts, read 752,105 times
No.Its something cant be influenced ,its the way we are wired.
I recall a fellow lefty from the second grade era.
He was writing odd with his right and I asked him"why are you writing with your right if your left handed?"
His reply
"Because my mom forces me to"
How sad.
Little does she know,
that the richest and brightest are lefties.
Except me,I just browse city data.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterdragon8212 View Post
I'm pretty sure my dad tried to "switch" me as a child. He grew up left-handed in the 50s when it was really a pain. While he swears up and down he didn't do anything to influence me, I do EVERYTHING left-handed (and left-legged) except for writing on paper. If I have to write on a dry erase or chalkboard (or even on overhead transparencies for you old folks like me!), I write left-handed, but on paper, I use my right hand. Suspicious? You decide
DH grew up left-handed in the 50s and felt no such pain. The only thing he does right-handed is cut with a scissors.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:18 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
I cheer my grandson on when he eats with his left hand! Lefties have rights too.

Old 07-08-2017, 02:54 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,211 times
I'm left handed in everything but using a computer with a mouse. I can do a lot right handed as our population has learned to to fit in... but not very well!
I DID try to encourage left-handedness with my son but it became clear I was being selfish and he is a right handed 10 year old now.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:13 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,928,486 times
I was born left-handed in the 50's and was apparently forced to write right-handed in school which was common at that time. As a result, I have the penmanship of a 4 year old. I shoot a rifle, shoot pool, kick a ball all left-footed. My son was born left handed and I completely left him alone as did his school. He is doing just fine.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:00 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
I'm a lefty, my wife is a righty. Our daughter is 11 months so it's a bit too early to tell, but so far, she seems to use her left hand for most things. I don't make any conscious effort to influence her to be a lefty; I guess I think it'd be kind of cool if she was, too, but it's not really a big deal to me.

Interesting side story: my youngest sister is 13 years my junior. I've always been an artist, and would draw her pictures when she was a toddler... one day when I was watching her, we were sitting there, and she noticed that all of my drawings came out looking more like whatever she wanted to make. She watched intently as I drew, looked at my hand, looked at hers, and then switched the marker from her right hand to her left hand She's remained a righty.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:10 AM

2,309 posts, read 901,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I suspect one could influence a baby to be right handed, rather than left handed. For example, even though I'm left handed, some things I learned in the school yard, like batting a ball, I was taught right handed. Also knitting, or a fishing reel, shooting a gun, playing guitar, etc.

I think when you learn something for the first time, it is equally awkward, no matter which way you learn it, so it doesn't really matter. Also, since we lefties live in a right handed world, we use our right hands for many things on a daily basis.

I'm left handed and I throw and use a mouse with my right. In fact for the latter I prefer it to be right handed since I'm so used to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting