Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 07:46 PM

614 posts, read 1,237,718 times

Advertisements

I might get a lot of flack for this response but here goes.

A lot of y'all I think are getting way too overboard on this. We're talking about 2 yr olds who most likely don't know what they're really doing and how much harm they are causing. I'm not condoning biting at all but give them a little slack here. I'm sure the parents are mortified to have a child that bites and I'm sure they've tried everything to fix it. But once again. We're talking about 2 yr olds. Not high school bullies here. If my kids ( I have a 2 and 3 yr old) came home with bite marks, sure I would be concerned and talk to the teachers to make sure they're doing the best they can to stop it. But I would just think they're 2 yr olds Things happen like hitting or grabbing and what not at that age. I'm not teaching my kids to do any of those but I surely understand that kids these age do that. Plain and simple if my kids were the offenders. I would definitely punish them and continue to do so. But what else can I do to kids this age to have them stop? Does it make me a bad parent? I hope not and I would empathize for the offenders parents cause I'm sure they're mortified enough as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2017, 06:39 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,323,101 times
People pay a lot to send their kids to daycare. They often don't want to be sending them there in the first place but need to. So yeah having your baby who you wish you could spend more time with getting bitten by some other kid multiple times in a week might **** a parent off. I get it

Old 07-01-2017, 06:46 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,897 times
Pin notes with variations of DONT BITE ME, STAY AWAY, etc. Front and back of their clothes. Staff will start doing their job. It works faster, if you place the name of the child in the mesage. Do this every day, if other stuff you have tried, are not working.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
She doesnt want to pull her out.

It's not as easy to just take a kid out of daycare when you need to go to work id imagine. It takes time enrolling them into another on top of that.
did you miss the part, she apparently works from home or the replies that have stated legally the school can not release the name of the child who did the biting or is doing the biting.

Again, as I said a few days ago I would be upset, any parent would be, but biting is more common than many realize. I can assure you, if I was so upset about something like this I would take the time to find another child care center. I watched my daughter and now my grand daughters change child care centers for for their kids when they were working. It isn't all that hard. Now, to be honest, if it were my little girl and everything else about the center was satisfactory I would not even think about removing her.

Old 07-05-2017, 01:59 PM

83 posts, read 127,508 times
I read this thread last week and thought to my self that I was glad that it would be awhile before I have to deal with biting in daycare since my youngest is only 5 months old (we've dealt with biting incident before when my oldest was bitten a couple of times when he was in the toddler room).

But sure enough, today at work I got a call from the daycare director saying that my baby was bitten by another baby. It didn't break the skin though - just red marks. Even she was surprised that it happened in the baby room. Usually it happens in the toddler room. Before this, the teachers already said that they try to separate my son from the other babies as he's the youngest and the other babies are a few months older and already mobile. With this incident, the director said they are going to be more vigilant in keeping them separated.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:07 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Frustrating yes, should the child be kicked out? No. I am remembering back many years ago, 55 or so to be exact and a case even older than that. My daughter was a biter. the kids in the neighborhood would get together almost every morning to play for a few hours while mommies had coffee.There were 3 or 4 families and 1/2 dozen kids, between 2 and 3. There were a couple little boys who loved to pull our daughters red hair out. They were fascinated with it. Somehow she learned to bite them. I know how bad biting hurts because my cousin was a biter and I was the recipient of many bites as a pre schooler. No matter how hard we tried to explain to our little girl she couldn't do that, she continued to bite. One day when I caught her in the act. I simple bit her in return, not very hard but she got the idea. The thing was, other than that she was the epitome of the wonderful 2 year old everyone thought she was.

I realize in your case, the situation is a little different. Is she not old enough to tell you who is doing the biting? Only you can decide if you want to pull her out of school. I would not, but that is just me. As for expecting to be let out of the contract, I don't know what to think.
Of course she did, because the boys kept pulling her hair out! You were trying to deprive her of her only means of self-defense! Did you talk to her after that, about how to deal with the boys? Or did you talk to the boys' parents? If not, you're only sending the message that girls aren't allowed to defend themselves, and have to silently take the abuse.

This kind of thing happens all too often. It sets girls up with all the wrong messages, for when they grow up.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:03 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
I might get a lot of flack for this response but here goes.

A lot of y'all I think are getting way too overboard on this. We're talking about 2 yr olds who most likely don't know what they're really doing and how much harm they are causing. I'm not condoning biting at all but give them a little slack here. I'm sure the parents are mortified to have a child that bites and I'm sure they've tried everything to fix it. But once again. We're talking about 2 yr olds. Not high school bullies here. If my kids ( I have a 2 and 3 yr old) came home with bite marks, sure I would be concerned and talk to the teachers to make sure they're doing the best they can to stop it. But I would just think they're 2 yr olds Things happen like hitting or grabbing and what not at that age. I'm not teaching my kids to do any of those but I surely understand that kids these age do that. Plain and simple if my kids were the offenders. I would definitely punish them and continue to do so. But what else can I do to kids this age to have them stop? Does it make me a bad parent? I hope not and I would empathize for the offenders parents cause I'm sure they're mortified enough as it is.
The OP is the parent of the child who is being repeatedly bitten.

Sure, two year olds do things that they have to learn not to do....That doesn't mean I'm going to volunteer my child to be the guinea pig and get bitten while the other kids learn either...Once was enough.

Point of fact....
Who at day care is supervising this kid that is biting.....someone needs to be more watchful.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:06 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
The OP is the parent of the child who is being repeatedly bitten.

Sure, two year olds do things that they have to learn not to do....That doesn't mean I'm going to volunteer my child to be the guinea pig and get bitten while the other kids learn either...Once was enough.

Point of fact....
Who at day care is supervising this kid that is biting.....someone needs to be more watchful.
you are right except biting can happen so fast just like hitting or pushing. I do think who ever in supervising should make an attempt to keep the kids apart. Again we are hearing just one side of the story. We have no idea if the little girl did anything to provoke the biting.

I also notice the OP hasn't been back for awhile. I am guessing the problem has been resolved.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:18 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
you are right except biting can happen so fast just like hitting or pushing. I do think who ever in supervising should make an attempt to keep the kids apart. Again we are hearing just one side of the story. We have no idea if the little girl did anything to provoke the biting.

I also notice the OP hasn't been back for awhile. I am guessing the problem has been resolved.
Around here, a repeat biter would be shadowed by an aid. You don't let a kid who has injured more than once loose in the general population. When I was a solo, in home provider, I did not have aids. So kids who demonstrated that they hurt other kids had to shadow me. I had one such kid. He was a brute. (Honestly, I could tell hair raising stories. His parents were ... difficult to understand. They thought his pushing another child off the top of the slide was funny.) He caught on pretty quickly that he had to sit there while I was doing things like fixing lunch and the other kids were playing. But he was 4 which is a long way away from 2 from a development perspective. The goal of a shadow for a biter in a center is just to keep the other kids safe.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:32 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,989,780 times
Quote:

Yes, the problem has basically been resolved. I haven't had any more bite related injury reports to sign, luckily. The teachers kept my daughter away from the biter and that's that. I found another daycare with an opening, but we didn't take it any further than that since things seem to have gotten better.

I have the teachers' confirmation that my daughter didn't do anything to provoke the biting. So, maybe the kid doing it figured out a new way to express himself and isn't biting anymore. We are lucky that our DD is very verbal and can tell us what she wants; most of the other kids her age cannot do that as easily, which I'm guessing was the original issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting