Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 04:11 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
When is "old enough to care for it"?
When they have demonstrated responsibilities in similar areas. I am not into age number markers. I have seen wildly different maturity at the same age in different kids... I mean people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 05:54 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
When they have demonstrated responsibilities in similar areas. I am not into age number markers. I have seen wildly different maturity at the same age in different kids... I mean people.
Well it's good all of my children were very mature for their ages even at birth. My oldest son for example was born wearing a pair of sunglasses, drinking a cup of Joe and smoking a cigarette. First thing he does when he is born, he turns to me, points at his junk and with a distinct cockney accent says to me "you're getting rid of that bit at the end though, right?". Seems to me I had no choice but to honor his wishes.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:53 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
When is "old enough to care for it"?
I think my daughter get her ears pierced early teens. My sister did too but didn't take care of them and they closed back up. Lesson learned.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:59 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
OMG not a circumcision thread!

*screams and runs out*

Old 07-06-2017, 08:33 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
And to me, if indeed that was her objective, someone needs to explain to her the difference in piercing and circumcision. One is simply for looks, the other health purposes. I do agree many people react without reading.
I don't think its male circumcision she drew attention to.
Its female mutilation on muslim women.

But yeh, piercing a baby cheek, isn't it just....awful ....tut tut.

Old 07-06-2017, 08:46 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Well it's good all of my children were very mature for their ages even at birth. My oldest son for example was born wearing a pair of sunglasses, drinking a cup of Joe and smoking a cigarette. First thing he does when he is born, he turns to me, points at his junk and with a distinct cockney accent says to me "you're getting rid of that bit at the end though, right?". Seems to me I had no choice but to honor his wishes.
Well that certainly would demonstrate his maturity if he was able to say that. But he didn't, did he?

Old 07-06-2017, 08:58 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
And idiots continue to reproduce...

Old 07-06-2017, 10:44 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
And idiots continue to reproduce...
And idiots continue to comment without reading?

Old 07-06-2017, 12:12 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
I only have girls, so we never had to make this decision. As I mentioned in an earlier reply, I really don't care if people circ or not. When I was pregnant, I left it up to my husband. Seeing as he has a penis and all, I figured he knew more about it than I did. He absolutely, positively refused to NOT circ if we had a son. (He was circumcised as a newborn). I was taken aback by his strong feelings about it and asked him why. He said when he was in the Army, there were just way too many guys who had issues because they weren't. He didn't go into details, and I didn't pursue. But his procedure obviously hasn't had a negative impact on him.

In other news, I was in the ER one day last year. There was a guy in the "room" next to me. We were only separated by a curtain, so I could hear everything. He had a rather painful condition (painful enough to go to the ER) and his foreskin wouldn't retract. The doctor had to do something to fix it that, from the sounds of it, was pretty painful. The doctor also told him it was really common and the only way to prevent it from happening again was to get circumcised.

My point is that there are advantages to doing it, and there are advantages to not doing it. People should just let parents make that choice - just like they make choices about bottle or breast, cloth or disposable, etc. Neither decision makes anyone a good or bad parent.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:19 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times
The portion of the ear that is usually pierced is cartilage . . . not the same as skin/muscle/whatever on the cheek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting