Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 07:41 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,770,079 times

Advertisements

Here's the working definition of 'political correctness used by almost everyone:
"political correctness" = things that offend other people, but not me - because if I'm offended then it's not being 'politically correct', it's just being rude!

For example, the same people who prattle on to no end about political correctness are the same sort who are likely to be offended by critical assessments of religion. They're likely to demand that people refrain from criticizing the U.S. armed forces, especially during a time of conflict (they're usually willing to bend on this if the wrong party is in the White House). They will pitch a fit if people don't behave in certain ways when the national anthem is played.

But they will insist that these demands are not political correctness. And why? Because it's their sensibilities that are at stake. Again, it's only 'political correctness' if they're not offended by the breach of the norms in question.

So go ahead. Teach your child about political correctness. Teach your child that it's all about her - that if she is not offended by something, then it's political correctness and ridiculous to refrain from that thing. But if she is offended, then by God it's not political correctness at all but just plain decency.

I'm sure she'll get the hang of the self-absorption in no time.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:42 AM

50,173 posts, read 63,623,198 times
I am of course only guessing at what op is talking about. You all seem to think the daughter has formed a prejudice against other ethnic groups.

I have a few, not many, prejudices of my own.not so much racial, as political, but my behavior is the same, regardless. I don't talk about anything that might be hurtful to someone else.

Old sayings like, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all", have lasted for a reason.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:43 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,576,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post

Do we really start explaining things like culture and poverty to a middle school kid?
OP, we first read sections of George Orwell's 1984 when I was 14 in an English class. I doubt a lot of schools are still teaching that today, and it's on the banned list in a lot of places, but Orwell's ideas about government thought control are well presented. Granted, there are some passages that are much more appropriate for older readers, but I'm glad I was introduced to that book and "Animal Farm" early: "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others" (as applied to Chris Christie taking his family to the beach the other day after closing all of them in NJ).

It helped me to understand the idea of PC and these days the "fake media."

Old 07-04-2017, 08:19 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,399,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
The OP is saying their kid (and likely themselves) have racist feelings and when/what age do you tell your child not to say those racist things outloud.

This is a thread that ought to be locked asap.
Going by the OP's previous posts, I'd say he knows not to say things aloud in certain company but it irks him and he feels that his freedoms are being infringed upon by not being "allowed" to say exactly what he thinks without consequence.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:21 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,399,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Here's the working definition of 'political correctness used by almost everyone:
"political correctness" = things that offend other people, but not me - because if I'm offended then it's not being 'politically correct', it's just being rude!

For example, the same people who prattle on to no end about political correctness are the same sort who are likely to be offended by critical assessments of religion. They're likely to demand that people refrain from criticizing the U.S. armed forces, especially during a time of conflict (they're usually willing to bend on this if the wrong party is in the White House). They will pitch a fit if people don't behave in certain ways when the national anthem is played.

But they will insist that these demands are not political correctness. And why? Because it's their sensibilities that are at stake. Again, it's only 'political correctness' if they're not offended by the breach of the norms in question.

So go ahead. Teach your child about political correctness. Teach your child that it's all about her - that if she is not offended by something, then it's political correctness and ridiculous to refrain from that thing. But if she is offended, then by God it's not political correctness at all but just plain decency.

Yep. Colin Kaepernick anyone?

Old 07-04-2017, 09:14 AM

32,561 posts, read 47,729,085 times
I'd love to join in to the conversation, but I can't figure out what everyone is talking about, let alone what the heck OP is talking about. Not exactly a clearly asked question.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:18 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,351,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

Truth. I'd say amen, but you know how those anti-PC folks feel about heathens saying such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Going by the OP's previous posts, I'd say he knows not to say things aloud in certain company but it irks him and he feels that his freedoms are being infringed upon by not being "allowed" to say exactly what he thinks without consequence.
Yeah. He wants a return of Jim Crow era when it was socially and politically acceptable to be a racist bigot. The good ol' days.

What the anti-PC crowd mean to say: "I can't spew verbal diarrhea and get away with it like my parents' and grandparents' days. Boohoo." But then pitch a the biggest conniption when Starbucks doesn't include a drawing of white blond blue-eyed Jesus on their holiday cups, or there are too few Christmas trees, or businesses try to be inclusive of other holidays.

So, yeah, it's only "PC" when their <1950s sensibilities aren't accepted with open arms.

Old 07-04-2017, 09:21 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,557,780 times
This thread is more about agendas than about a parenting question. Please check for existing threads at Politics & Other Controversies if anyone wishes to continue the discussion elsewhere. Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.